Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40   #166
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Squatter on your mooring ball (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Will let you all know when I hear back from the RCMP. The Harbourmaster says that they really do want to make an effort to help those of us who are trying to be compliant.

Cheers
Mike

Now that we have been mouthing off so much; any update on any actions? I'm curious on whether the officials really are willing to get involved in a boat that isn't sinking or a threat and risk being stuck with the bill etc.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:55   #167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL.... Salcombe will charge you the mooring rate if you anchor... they're actively trying to clean up the estuary and slowly converting all the mooring and visitors pontoons to the screw in type... also operate the water taxi... its a good revenue for them... but it is a lovely spot and worth it to me... like to moor up then run up to Kingsbridge with the tide in the dinghy...
But we are also more tolerant/considerate in the main over here... both ways.. from the sound of it.
Indeed -- when I first went into Salcombe a couple of years ago, I had planned to anchor, but no room! The whole harbor is pretty much covered up with moorings now, despite what the pilot books say.

I love Salcombe and the dinghy trip up to Kingsbridge. It's an absolutely gorgeous spot, if somewhat touristy in the summer. I have a friend with a house overlooking the harbor entrance. Last summer, we crossed straight over to Brittany departing from Salcombe.

To the OP, sorry for the thread drift! We will shut up now.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22   #168

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

There are several reasons against opening your mooring to all comers. One is liability, if they break your mooring and drift ashore is it your fault? If they do break your mooring what are the chances of them helping with the diver costs? I know how long my hardware lasts with the use I put on my mooring and can allow for the time I'm away but if it is being used when I'm gone by boats too large etc...I could be left adrift if it lets go early. For the guy tieing up to moorings the Australian and British approaches sound friendly but you guys must all maintain on the same schedule. In the states many "set and forget" then scratch their heads when it eventually drifts away. People have commented that it is reasonable for parks etc.... to charge fees to cover maintenance, the private owner should be accorded the same courtesy. It is lie haveing people park in your driveway without permission, a trespass. For these reasons I'll keep leaving dinghys and projects on the mooring when I'm away. We'll contact the DNR and start getting these things grandfathered in though I'm reluctant to involve bureaucracy in the bay. Who needs more government regulations?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58   #169
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The deal is that you must be ready at a minute's notice to get off it in case the owner comes and needs it himself,"
Dockhead, in the US I doubt anyone would get their feathers ruffled if they came home to find another boat on their mooring--READY TO MOVE OFF as you mention. But in the OP's case, the boat is ready for nothing, the contact phone number doesn't reply, and the situation is different.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:04   #170
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I should add that I've been the squatter on the mooring ball a couple of times. Rolling into a bay with nothing but moorings, it's late, I need a few hours of sleep. Tie off, crash out, be gone before sunrise or pretty close after. Always ready for some dude to come by and yell at me.
I did that too once at 0200h; any port in a storm. But there's a big difference if you remain onboard and are ready to vacate the mooring at the first toot of a whistle.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:10   #171

Aboard and ready to depart is much less of a problem. Here though, I've had boats on my mooring with nobody around- hence my familiarity with moving them and securing in a responsible, seamanlike manner and notifying the sheriffs so the boat owners can be notified of their craft's location. It works and there aren't any repeats.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25   #172

Boat: Crown 34

All, this has really been an interesting thread!
It is nice to see that the guns don't come blazing everywhere in the world, and I hope that has not been the impression I've given with my situation (or actions). Openness does often lead to being Sh*t on, but you just have to clean yourself off and carry on. That said ....BOUNDARIES are always necessary!!!
To answer the request for an update - it is actually too early to give you much info. (The thread is quite long now, but I assume you saw my initial info from RCMP in Post #77)
I had asked the officer to call me back if, after speaking to the suspected owner, there was adamant denial. That way I would know to keep polling locals, etc. He didn't call yesterday, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I work during the week, and have not been able to go out to the bay for a look in daylight. Though, I think it's too early to see movement...

There are of course some interesting twists! -
I had actually spoken to this particular fellow when I was out on the water posting my name and number on the ball a few weeks ago. He approached me; knew that I had just bought it, and asked if he could rent it. I told him that I didn't think so right now.....but if interested later I would get in touch. At least one of you has already guessed who this gentleman is. He was pleasant, respectful, and totally accepting of my answer. And since clarification is pretty key on this topic - (you already know that I am not moving onto the ball for about 6 or 7 weeks). My reason for the initial no, was because the boat he said he wanted to moor was a HUUUGE old wooden 'project' fish boat. I could see from my dinghy it was even lacking a main cabin door. Odds that it could sink.....mmmm, pretty high....

Now, when the Officer believed this fellow was also the owner for the smaller fibreglass boat currently tied to my mooring it was clear to me that things need to be done delicately. In fact, after my initial conversation with the RCMP, I had a follow up call from a Supervisor, so I know they are taking this quite seriously.

So to stand back and take a look at this overall topic - First, overcrowding is a problem in the boating world. Period. I don't care if you are anchoring, mooring or just plain cruising....there are boats everywhere! In the BC Gulf Islands people are having to drop the hook in marginal locations because the bays near parks, beaches or towns are full by 2pm. And even when you are anchored, your boat constantly rocks from ferries, Navy, cargo ships and the dozens of recreational boats constantly passing by. I like to think that this means a lot of other people value the same things I do! And that's cool!

Secondly - the police have a bigger presence on the water or with boating issues. The want to be involved. Again, I think this is cool! I love seeing the black RIBs out there zooming around. If I get into trouble on the water they are there to help me.

And lastly - What is it you could call 'wrong' here: The guy who has followed government regulations and really wants to keep his family in boating....or the guy who appears to have three near derelict 'vessels' in a crowded bay, one of them being a truck camper on floats, sitting in the tidal zone?
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31   #173

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive had serveral moorings on the west coast over the years, never had problem with folks useing them if I was not ! as folks have said, if someone was aboard. if they were gone, i always buddy boated with them till they returned,but I knew what I had for a mooring LOL some folks don't have the mooring to support more then 1 vessel. I have moved folks to another mooring and have anchored boats in order to use my TITLED mooring. never had a law problem, but never really damaged anyones vessel doing a move. just try to do it right till theres no other way !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
And lastly - What is it you could call 'wrong' here: The guy who has followed government regulations and really wants to keep his family in boating....or the guy who appears to have three near derelict 'vessels' in a crowded bay, one of them being a truck camper on floats, sitting in the tidal zone?
I was tied up in Blue Heron Basin a couple of years ago and remember that mess well. I wasn't sure who was responsible for it all but there was a young fellow, this was three winters ago, who I thought was the owner of the camper. At the time one corner of the float was sinking.

That winter he had two of his "boats" sink, I don't know if it would be the same ones. I have to say he was very dogged in his determination to re-float them, even if his approach wasn't always well thought out. It was hard for me to imagine how he would get any of those boats fixed up and usable.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
As a member of SNSYC who regularly threads the minefield that passes for Tsehum Harbour I think I know the boat in question. Anyone who suggested that it could be regarded as a gift needs to understand that this boat is a seriouis liability. I'm not sure that any boat should ever be called an asset but this one clearly isn't. I'm glad to hear the situation got resolved amicably and it actually fills in some pieces of a puzzle. We were leaving Tsehum a few weeks ago and the boat that I believe we are referring to was clearly sinking. Another boat called it into the Coast Guard and it was pumped out a week later and then gone completely the following week.

Personally I tend to agree with Happy Seagull's first comments. We either can anchor or we can't and when a good harbour is polluted with mooring balls we clearly can't anchor there anymore. Canadian law is pretty clear that the water belongs to all of us. I don't appreciate anyone who chucks a concrete block in it and claims it for himself. Nanaimo/Newcastle Island is a perfect example of a great spot that has been completely ruined by mooring balls.

Flame away - you won't change my mind.
YEA, we got 1000s of those concrete cubes left in the great lakes with no bouys since the lakeice retreated years ago. Hence the strict laws now against docks/moorings.It truly is as creepy narrowly missing an underwater hazard like an old mooring or dockbed as it is an unchaarted coralhead field in the carribean.Especially when its offshore on an otherwise sandy flat bottom. Stay offshore when you see lakeshore homes is my advise on the "great lakes" around thousand islands, Perhaps the recent boom in BC waterfront development will prevent the manmade reefs and hazards of Ontario done generations ago.Great business idea is to just drop some concrete cubes overboard in BC and Rent them.
rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16   #176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

We used to live on a cove that cruisers liked. Rather than drop anchor they would often pick up our mooring. They would slo tie to our dock but that's another story all together..

Sadly they would very often LEAVE THE BOAT and then we come sailing back with no way to tie up to our own permitted & deeded mooring. It got quite frustrating but folks were usually very courteous once they came wandering back.

One day an older "salty looking" cruiser showed up and picked up our mooring. We did a sail by and politely asked him to vacate our mooring, but no rush we'll sail for a while longer. He simply told us to "F" off, gave us the finger, and yelled at us to find our own place to tie to. Ah, this is our "own place", name, permit number and decal are on the ball.....

We "F" offed and called the harbor master who was there in about 5 minutes, a good guy. In short order he was writing the guy a court date for illegal trespass and some other "crimes" he comitted while talking to the Harbor Master/Police Officer/Dog Officer/Truancy Officer, small town you know....

He was going to get a warning, we didn't care just wanted our mooring back, but when he started mouthing off to the harbor Master, bingo, misdemeanor......

The guy had two perfectly good anchors hanging off the bow appendage, a big windlass and there was 10 knots of wind or less. Oh and about a 1/2 square mile to anchor in with plenty of room for 10:1 scope if one so wanted..

That week I went out to the ball and wrote on it in big letters

20 POUND MUSHROOM / CHAIN UNSAFE

We never had a single transient tie up to our mooring ever again....

Personally, I could care less if you use my mooring, I let friends use it all the time, but PLEASE don't leave the boat in-case we come back unless you have permission...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25   #177

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Marine Sail,

Awesome!

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29   #178

An excellent idea ! Our families use of moorings in front of our property and tidelands predates "titling" , from the 1950's on. I thought the posted DNR statistics interesting that only about 50 have bothered so far but we will add to the number to keep the bean counters happy. Most mooring owners have no idea any agency is involved now, most people here just put a buoy in front of their house and no one minded-and most drift away through lack of maintenance. I always anchor when cruising so I'll have the peace of mind a good anchor provides. The water is still a bit of a frontier and Mother Nature has a way of thinning the herd of the unprepared. I'm wondering why the original poster just doesn't politely move the boat to one of this characters other vessels if he has 3 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
We used to live on a cove that cruisers liked. Rather than drop anchor they would often pick up our mooring. They would slo tie to our dock but that's another story all together..

Sadly they would very often LEAVE THE BOAT and then we come sailing back with no way to tie up to our own permitted & deeded mooring. It got quite frustrating but folks were usually very courteous once they came wandering back.

One day an older "salty looking" cruiser showed up and picked up our mooring. We did a sail by and politely asked him to vacate our mooring, but no rush we'll sail for a while longer. He simply told us to "F" off, gave us the finger, and yelled at us to find our own place to tie to. Ah, this is our "own place", name, permit number and decal are on the ball.....

We "F" offed and called the harbor master who was there in about 5 minutes, a good guy. In short order he was writing the guy a court date for illegal trespass and some other "crimes" he comitted while talking to the Harbor Master/Police Officer/Dog Officer/Truancy Officer, small town you know....

He was going to get a warning, we didn't care just wanted our mooring back, but when he started mouthing off to the harbor Master, bingo, misdemeanor......

The guy had two perfectly good anchors hanging off the bow appendage, a big windlass and there was 10 knots of wind or less. Oh and about a 1/2 square mile to anchor in with plenty of room for 10:1 scope if one so wanted..

That week I went out to the ball and wrote on it in big letters

20 POUND MUSHROOM / CHAIN UNSAFE

We never had a single transient tie up to our mooring ever again....
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25   #179

moving somebody else's boat without permission is just a really, really bad idea.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45   #180

Tying up to anything without permission sort of tops the list IMO. If you do you should be prepared to have your boat moved.

Tags
Canada, mooring