Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 19:28   #151
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

"what would Mark Wahlberg do? "
Um, put an ad on Craigslist "FREE BOAT can't get it started must be gone before next month's mooring payment is due FREE TO THE FIRST TAKER".

Seems fair, mooring, boat, all free to whoever wants to use it, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:37   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Sure, BUT HAVE IT ATTACHED WITH ACHAIN AND A LOCK or the unrepenting villain might just decide to attach it to teh rear of HIS boat on the way out of the harbor!
And "love your neighbor (or his wife)" but also "do unto others as they do to you." Maybe you could sweeten his boat with a pound of sugar dumped down you know where!

The guy probable believes he has nothing to loose but the sugar will show him otherwise. Now remember, the only intent for sugar is to sweeten----. I knew a guy who once "sweetened a bulldozer! " It never gave him anymore trouble.
Really? Seems Snopes and Myth Busters couldn't figure out how that might work.
Old 31-01-2012, 19:37   #153

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

For the question us or them sometimes the answer is neither.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:40   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
This thread has more turns than the Mississippi! All we need to decide is Manson or Ronca, what gun, cat or mono and who wins the next election!
You throw out the easy ones! Manson, AR-15, mono of course, and oopss.. the last one is going to consume a whole bunch of words in 2012
Old 31-01-2012, 19:44   #155

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Really? Seems Snopes and Myth Busters couldn't figure out how that might work.
IT WORKS! Although 5# will make it sweeter.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:58   #156

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
This thread has more turns than the Mississippi! All we need to decide is Manson or Ronca, what gun, cat or mono and who wins the next election!
May I add Bumfuzzles?
Old 31-01-2012, 20:27   #157

Boat: Ct 37
Normal sugar in grain form will not work but liquid sugar like cokacola works well makes a mess of the valves
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 20:36   #158

Boat: Ct 37
Yeah I sure don't miss having a mooring in tsehum harbor it turns into a gong show in the summer. Even doing sea trials in the summer can be difficult. And don't even get me started on the commercial crabbers laying pots in the anchorage oh and then there's all the juniors from the YC that love to get cfed in moored boat really entertaining sorry to hear you have trouble already but that's typical for the area hope you get it resolved
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 20:46   #159

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

Manson's in prison for life.
I'm not sure about Rocna.
Cats are nice, I've got three which sail with us.
Mono? I've never caught it.
Election? I've been smacked gently re-educated enough already by the mods!!!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 21:26   #160

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Not sure what you mean. In the world I love. Everyone may not be Christian Jew Muslim budhist but that's irrelevant the cool thing is most have some common values. Thank god your not all Christian.
Seems in real world not everyone is a Christian. Nor do they all have Christian or as you put it common values. be they Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddist or agnostic.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:34   #161

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro

I manage the mooring field in Admiralty bay area for a Yacht Club. We dont fall under any port authority due to our rural location. We are surrounded by derelict and illegally anchored or moored boats but our 12 moorings are leased legally through DNR (Department of natural Resources). DNR has the funding and authority to remove any vessel that falls under the category of 'Derelict' or 'Abandoned' by definition. Of course, due to funding they are prudent as to which vessels they prioritize for action. It is my experience that if one makes a legitamate case against a boat that DNR may be persuaded to take immediate action to prevent the potential of environmental damage. My good freind owns the local Vessel Assist and does towings for DNR when asked and has even successfully pushed to have certain abandoned boats removed. The cost burden falls on the government agencies unless the owner steps up (but thats why we pay our taxes). In Port Townsend derelict and abandoned boats are aucti9oned to offset costs.

As you have described, the boat clearly would be regarded as abandoned down here and likely could be removed by the government quickly. Your Port Authority would know who to call if its outside their jurisdiction. however, usually a port takes on a responsibility once its hauled, DNR just gets it off the water.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 00:45   #162
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I unhooked it and towed it across to a vacant visitor mooring and then phoned the Waterways officer to fill him in with rego details etc.
It turned out the guy had been offered the loan of a nearby mooring and picked up ours by mistake. We recieved a bottle of wine and an apology.
If only they were all that simple... but hey, maybe this squatter would move on if OP offers him a bottle of wine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
And "love your neighbor (or his wife)" but also "do unto others as they do to you." Maybe you could sweeten his boat with a pound of sugar dumped down you know where!
I'm not sure how wise it is to advise such illegal moves on an open forum. Whilst we know you are suggesting this tongue in cheek, there might be an idiot out there who then does what you say... then says "but foggysail told me to"... happens with kids all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Election? I've been smacked gently re-educated enough already by the mods!!!
Jeez, man, how many times have we told you to stop talking about us in public??
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:45   #163

Quote:
Jeez, man, how many times have we told you to stop talking about us in public??
cause we know what you say and we know what you do when we ignore you
Old 01-02-2012, 02:02   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I should add that I've been the squatter on the mooring ball a couple of times. Rolling into a bay with nothing but moorings, it's late, I need a few hours of sleep. Tie off, crash out, be gone before sunrise or pretty close after. Always ready for some dude to come by and yell at me.
I don't know what the custom is on the Left Coast, but in the UK it is considered completely acceptable to use an empty private mooring. It is not a cause for being yelled at, and one is not expected to pay anything.

The deal is that you must be ready at a minute's notice to get off it in case the owner comes and needs it himself, and you must not damage it by mooring up to it in a boat heavier than it was designed for. So you must not leave your boat and go ashore, for example. And most owners will not make you get off if they appear -- if it is technically feasible, most of them will raft up and let you leave in the morning.

You are supposed to pay to use public visitors' moorings. I have hardly ever been charged for them, however. The harbormasters are not usually very interested, in my experience, the exception being Salcombe, where the very friendly and very active harbormaster is always on the spot before you can even get a line on the mooring ball.

In France, I have even moored up to a Coast Guard mooring ball, for a short stop to discharge passengers. I kept a sharp lookout for the cutter to return, however, I'll tell you that
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13   #165
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know what the custom is on the Left Coast, but in the UK it is considered completely acceptable to use an empty private mooring. It is not a cause for being yelled at, and one is not expected to pay anything.

The deal is that you must be ready at a minute's notice to get off it in case the owner comes and needs it himself, and you must not damage it by mooring up to it in a boat heavier than it was designed for. So you must not leave your boat and go ashore, for example. And most owners will not make you get off if they appear -- if it is technically feasible, most of them will raft up and let you leave in the morning.

You are supposed to pay to use public visitors' moorings. I have hardly ever been charged for them, however. The harbormasters are not usually very interested, in my experience, the exception being Salcombe, where the very friendly and very active harbormaster is always on the spot before you can even get a line on the mooring ball.

In France, I have even moored up to a Coast Guard mooring ball, for a short stop to discharge passengers. I kept a sharp lookout for the cutter to return, however, I'll tell you that
LOL.... Salcombe will charge you the mooring rate if you anchor... they're actively trying to clean up the estuary and slowly converting all the mooring and visitors pontoons to the screw in type... also operate the water taxi... its a good revenue for them... but it is a lovely spot and worth it to me... like to moor up then run up to Kingsbridge with the tide in the dinghy...
But we are also more tolerant/considerate in the main over here... both ways.. from the sound of it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring