Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 13:43   #121
cruiser

Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Yes, often occurs where there is alot of absentee ownership as a renter{tenant} of a nassau condo rented the dock out which was not part of his lease. When the landlords buddy showed up from Ft. Lauderdale he called his bud chris at BASRA who told him to tow the Striker 72 spoertfisherman to Mauras marina and the poweryacht was put at a dock running a bill . In that country if the bill aint pd. in full they auction the boat same as an unpaid towbill on a car left downtown. Different strokes for different folks. Planting "bullets" is unnessarsary and an evil suggestion, Your boat name similiar to "nirvana" or "valhalla" or "garden of allah" or "heaven" .Greek name for heaven?
rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:53   #122

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Over here in NSW Australia , after asking the person politely to move, you would just have to phone the Maritime Services Board who regulate these things.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:53   #123

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but I read the first page and... you guys are disgusting, I am ashamed to be a member of this community. No single person suggested just talking to the guy? How hard would it be to treat the owner of the "near derelict" vessel like a human being? Sure it may be hard to get ahold of him, but that is the best thing to do! Why waste the time of the police or the harbormaster when you could handle the situation peacefully yourself?

The whole first page was "Shoot the guy" "Call the cops" and "Call the harbormaster" etc.

Why not... "Talk to the guy!"

It would work, it would not waste tax dollars, it would be the fastest way. Somebody is going to have to track the owner down and talk to him, it may as well be you!

Just maybe you might not feel that way if somebody decided to use your tooth brush or for that matter your wife for a few weeks!!!

Yeah yeah, I know, you would just say "Pretty please! Don't do that or I tell my Mother!"

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:54   #124
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

evil suggestion?

The guy is a fricken THIEF. He's not a "neighbor". He is not going to get arrested for a bullet without anything else. The attention of the cops will put heat on him that he will not like, and he will realize he's being watched and move on.

He's in the wrong here. The original question was how to get him off the mooring. Arguing about the pros and cons of moorings is totally ridiculous and way off topic.

Sounds to me like the OP has gone thru the immediately available legal avenues, and guess what?
the guy is still on the mooring, isn't he.

The cops have resources that can find the guy quickly. The OP has put a lot of time and effort into it, and is totally frustrated so far. He asked for ideas.

This idea of hiring a boat, towing this boat, tying it up somewhere else and letting the guy run up a bill and costing him his boat....yeah, that's the Christian attitude all right. Your way, he loses his boat and maybe a lot more if he's in debt.

My way, a detective asks him about the bullet and he gets nervous and moves on. He keeps his boat. He's not in debt.

Your way, the OP has to extend himself even further. Who is responsible for the dirtbags boat while it's under tow? How long is this going to take? Is he going to figure out who caused him the problem?

My way, the Op has to make one phone call. The cops will see the problem and the way to solve it. cops are good like that.
And the problem guy won't see any connection to the mooring owner.

Just that someone's been partying on his boat. Not likely the mooring owner at all.

Your way, the guy loses his boat and is heavily in debt. My way, he gets some heat and takes his boat and moves on.
Which is more "evil"?
Old 31-01-2012, 13:55   #125

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

In my neck of the woods, boarding someone elses boat, even squatting on your mooring,can lead to being charged with a B&E, or illegal trespass. In one of these deals right now. (As the rightful owner )
Old 31-01-2012, 14:10   #126
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
sink it or tie it to a government dock, repaint your mooring ball a new colour, and move your mooring ball to a new location. They'll think it just blew away. You could even put a note on the boat saying, found drifting.

The guy will never know it was you, and just assume he parked on a bad mooring.
This should be called "redneck" forum as i have been through there on my way salmon fishing north at Port Hardy and Telegraph Cove .Move the mooring? u on cheap m:eds? Just use the RCMP and hope for the best then use cash as the lure to "get lost".You got shoreline squatters that probaly know your squatter and are there 24/7 so tread softly if you got future plans to leave your seacraft there unattended. You state your 40 minutes away and a 8min response time in that neighbourhood dont leave much elbow room. I had tenants burn out units in BAnff{where RCMP are city police} and was told "call your lawyer",in Calgary where there are city police i was told "civil matter" so call "your lawyer", get the drift? give the "bum" a few "c" notes to get lost.
rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:36   #127

Boat: Union Polaris 36

If you give him money what's to stop him from tying your boat to the one next to it and putting his back on so you pay him more? Plus it's difficult to pay people who don't want to be known. The cops won't do anything about it, just tell you to move the boat.

You could ask the local log salvagers who's it is, they know everything about the local waters.

Not all mooring are that hard to move, I've moved a lot, you just pick them up 10 ft and tow them across the bottom.

Really once the boat is on your mooring, it's your problem. I had a guy tie an old boat to our neighbours mooring (Howe Sound, BC), then when we left for a while our neighbour tied it to ours and it took our float away (either snapped the line, or picked up the two 5 gallon pails of cement). We weren't to happy with our neighbour, but life goes on, we just put another one out.

Our neighbour had called the RCMP, they said good luck not our problem.

And this is Canada, even the expensive meds are cheap.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:48   #128

I should add that I've been the squatter on the mooring ball a couple of times. Rolling into a bay with nothing but moorings, it's late, I need a few hours of sleep. Tie off, crash out, be gone before sunrise or pretty close after. Always ready for some dude to come by and yell at me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:16   #129

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have a friend that summers out of Montague Harbour and winters in Mexico while his boat lives ashore at Shelter Bay Marina.
I understand you have to use your mooring as does my friend for a certain amount of time per year and pay your foreshore fees to maintain the lease (it can’t be a 2 week a summer or every other weekend deal or they will not give you the foreshore lease, thus it is not yours), they have been monitoring use and pulling setups that are not being used in popular anchorages. I dive my buddy’s once a summer and give him photos and a report of its condition.
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:30   #130

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
All, just to be extra clear here, and in the hopes of stemming some of the aggression in the Post - This is not a 'convenience' mooring in the harbour. My marina slip comes up for renewal March 31, and I will not be signing up for another year. As mentioned, I cannot afford it.
That particular scenario certainly would be unfair in a crowded, sought-after harbour.
Elysium,
On the strength of this, I want to apologize for any bad feeling in my posts that may seem directed toward you personally. And, I can see that you've considered my points, which I appreciate.

It is a pet peeve of mine, is all. The solution, in the future as I vaguely indicated, while others have been plainer, is to leave a dinghy tied up to it, which makes it a mooring and not just a marker for underwater debris. Then,everyone knows you are coming back.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:35   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Elysium,
On the strength of this, I want to apologize for any bad feeling in my posts that may seem directed toward you personally. And, I can see that you've considered my points, which I appreciate.

It is a pet peeve of mine, is all. The solution, in the future as I vaguely indicated, while others have been plainer, is to leave a dinghy tied up to it, which makes it a mooring and not just a marker for underwater debris. Then,everyone knows you are coming back.
Unless you're going somewhere for a trip and bring the dinghy with you.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:41   #132

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

As a member of SNSYC who regularly threads the minefield that passes for Tsehum Harbour I think I know the boat in question. Anyone who suggested that it could be regarded as a gift needs to understand that this boat is a seriouis liability. I'm not sure that any boat should ever be called an asset but this one clearly isn't. I'm glad to hear the situation got resolved amicably and it actually fills in some pieces of a puzzle. We were leaving Tsehum a few weeks ago and the boat that I believe we are referring to was clearly sinking. Another boat called it into the Coast Guard and it was pumped out a week later and then gone completely the following week.

Personally I tend to agree with Happy Seagull's first comments. We either can anchor or we can't and when a good harbour is polluted with mooring balls we clearly can't anchor there anymore. Canadian law is pretty clear that the water belongs to all of us. I don't appreciate anyone who chucks a concrete block in it and claims it for himself. Nanaimo/Newcastle Island is a perfect example of a great spot that has been completely ruined by mooring balls.

Flame away - you won't change my mind.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:42   #133

Boat: Crown 34

I appreciate the note Seagull. Cheers.
When out for the weekend, the dinghy solution will definitely be it! We always take one with us, but quite fortunately I have an old one; and since I'm a family of 4, towing the extra dinghy out as I load will come in quite handy!
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:52   #134

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Another way if you are a diver and not using it for a while is not have a ball marker and dive to recover mooring when you need to.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:44   #135

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Look up the USCG on the internet-wikipedia etc... and you'll learn that the USCG is one of the 7 uniformed branches of the US Armed Forces that has the unique mission of maritime law enforcement as well as serving as a federal regulatory agency. While it serves under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime it can be transfered to the Department of the Navy at anytime by congress or the president. Founded in 1790 it is actually older than the Navy.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring