Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2024, 06:04   #16
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Gotta say I've been pretty happy with my Rocna with an all-chain rode. This is the 2nd boat that I've used this setup on and it works in just about all conditions. Have been anchoring up and down FL/GA and now am in the Bahamas.

40' cat with Roacna 25, have been tempted to go up to the 33 but just can't justify it based on the performance we've witnessed.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:11   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There is no benefit to carrying around extra weight (along with an increase in size and cost and handling difficulties) on your bow when you can have an anchor with less weight that performs just as well, or even better. Sheer weight is helpful in some very limited circumstances, like trying to penetrate very deep weed or gelatinous mud. Those bottoms are relatively rare, in my experience. But, the bottom line for me is that the recommended size in a 45lb. Mantus anchor has never dragged in many years of use up to gale force winds, so why would I need to go bigger? Would a larger Mantus hold more than a smaller one? Yes, but I don't need it.
You sketch a black and white picture that isn’t comparable to the real world.

Your anchor has shown to be 100% reliable for the weather, seabed and scope you experienced. In some cases it may have had a holding power twice or more than what was needed, in other cases maybe only just enough. The thing is that if the depth would have been 20’ more or the seabed just a little softer or the wind 6kts more… you could have dragged while the “one size up” of your anchor would have held. That is a good reason for the one size up for everyone.

Only if one has experienced a bad hurricane in so-so holding and surviving without dragging, then you could say the anchor is good enough.

We did survive horrible hurricane conditions without dragging but the seabed was perfect and I won’t say that my anchor is good enough for anything.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Never heard of Bugel anchors. Rocna has an interesting discussion including observations on tip weight and storability on a roller. My takeaway is they may be better than a CQR, but far from optimal compared to modern next-gen anchors.

Comparing 30kg and 50kg is a ludicrous suggestion on many levels. Might as well compare to a Cat 3208 engine block while you're at it.

https://kb.rocna.com/kb/Buegel_anchor

Great, we have a candidate for worst anchor, the Bugel. Now we need a candidate for best anchor....any ideas?? ...No please, don't answer that!!!

But later I agreed that 30 and 50 was a bit over the top so I posted 30 and 40kgs. I hope that's more in line for you Mr Weebles.

If the anchor tester guy shows up, Mr Weebles or Mr Kettlewell, would you hold my beer while I explain to him....
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:31   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
You sketch a black and white picture that isn’t comparable to the real world.
I've had some real-world experience. 50 years of cruising between Labrador and Colombia, out to Bermuda, and down to the Virgin Islands, using a variety of anchors including CQR, Danforths, Fortress, Bulwagga and Mantus. In the multiple hurricanes that I have endured I have usually been able to pick up a heavy mooring, which I supplemented with my own anchor, but in Hurricane Gloria, which went right over us on Long Island, I anchored out with a CQR and two Danforths in a star pattern. Most of the mooring field near my boat dragged ashore. We did not. I usually go for the recommended size and up one. On my current boat we have used two different 45lb anchors that have never dragged with up to around 60knots of wind in really bad holding (very hard) on very short scope. Sure, there are conditions when any anchor will drag and more weight can help, but if in doubt I have successfully deployed a second or even a third anchor. Those situations are rare.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:36   #20

Clearly a troll. Onus is on OP to prove hos statement, not on everyone else to disprove it. Plenty of testing out there showing which anchors work better than others under specific conditions.

Show your sources, not just your speculation and guesswork and troll-like paper tigers
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:47   #21

But he doesn't have any tests like this Mr Weebles.
He normally compares like for like, This would be a test with a small weighting for the inferior anchor of 10kgs.
Weighting...Could this be another pun, the 2nd in this thread!!!
Look at the advantages... when someone next writes "my loop anchor is one of the best", we all would know that by just by going up by 10kgs, we can buy any loop anchor.
(assuming my statement is proved true of course)
Old 08-02-2024, 06:54   #22

Boat: Sabre 34II

The OP is right.

Clearly a 50 kg anchor will hold, you just keep on reducing the size of your boat until it is held a 100% of the time.

Now, where’s the dinghy that I left anchored near the shore?

Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
But he doesn't have any tests like this Mr Weebles.
He normally compares like for like, This would be a test with a small weighting for the inferior anchor of 10kgs.
Weighting...Could this be another pun, the 2nd in this thread!!!
Look at the advantages... when someone next writes "my loop anchor is one of the best", we all would know that by just by going up by 10kgs, we can buy any loop anchor.
(assuming my statement is proved true of course)
Panope compares anchors in different weight classes all the time. How much pull each one endures in each bottom type, etc.

Watch the videos. Or make your own. Troll....
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:57   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 #288

Is this the inspiration for all new gen anchors?
Attached Images

abroadreachtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:05   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As mentioned before, Panope has tested different sizes of anchors. He's done a scaling test with at least the Bruce type to see if performance improves proportionately or disproportionately with increased weight. And for many other designs, he's tested both smaller (10-ish kg) and larger (20kg) sizes.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:19   #26

But never did he test an inferior loop anchor against one considered one of the best loop anchors and especially not with a weight advantage to the inferior anchor. In this case 10kg. 30kg against 40kg inferior loop anchor.

Its an interesting test....
Old 08-02-2024, 07:25   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
But never did he test an inferior loop anchor against one considered one of the best loop anchors and especially not with a weight advantage to the inferior anchor. In this case 10kg. 30kg against 40kg inferior loop anchor.

Its an interesting test....
If you look through all of the data from all of the videos the results for this are mostly there even though it wasn't directly tested.

Personally, I don't think it's an interesting test at all, but mostly a waste of time. As we know what the results will be. The inferior anchor will still show the same behavioral problems in the larger size (although some like clogging may be reduced a little in larger sizes).

Holding power vs weight scales fairly linearly for most anchor designs when in a bottom where they set well, so the holding power of the larger anchor can be predicted. Whether the larger anchor will actually hold more depends on the bottom in question and the anchors chosen. In some bottoms and with some anchor designs, differences in holding power are fairly small. In other cases, the differences are far larger and even a 10kg size difference may not make up for it entirely.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:31   #28

In order to realize the worth of the anchor we must feel the stress of the storm.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:33   #29

Quote:

. . .

So you don't believe me, then take the 30kg loop anchor that you think is the best. Then compare it to the 50kg loop anchor that you think is the worst.
the 30kg will never win. 50kg will outperform substantially.

Sounds like the OP is making the argument for the nautical statement:

Anchors A Weigh.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:50   #30

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
You can buy anyone of them, they are all the same in performance.
Hello, Fuss. Interesting premise.

I think that s/v Jedi touches upon the main point that I believe you might be missing: that there is more to anchor performance than holding force under one particular set of conditions.

I recently replaced our anchor and rode. There were several key things I looked for when choosing an anchor:
  • Reliability of initial set.
  • Reliability of reset following a wind shift.
  • Reasonable holding in a wide range of bottom types.
  • Reasonable performance with minimal scope.
  • Consistent build quality, including a track record of a sufficient numbers of anchors made over a sufficient number of years that conclusions can be drawn.
  • Corrosion resistance.
  • Not susceptible to bending or other damage.
  • Good bow roller compatibility
  • Available in the USA through an established distribution network.
Quote:
The only thing the manufacturers have similar is their anchor sizing charts. They all will have you buy too smaller anchor. 28 ton monohull, you need 50-60kg.
Well, my boat displaces 9 tons, and I have a 20 kg anchor, so I think we're more or less in agreement on sizing. Having a larger, heavier anchor improves anchoring performance, and makes sense as long as it is not taken to such extremes that it adversely affects ability to handle the anchor or adversely affect the boat's balance.

In addition to size, though, I think it's important to have an anchor that is well-designed and well-made.

Tags
anchor