Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 20:23   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Interesting Bugel Clone found at commercial fishing store

Found these today online.

Have seen a few trawlers out there with them and was wondering where they were getting them from
Commercial Fishing Equipment | Dyneema Rope

I wonder how the not-so-sharp point affects them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1625109317697.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	241356  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 22:38   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Interesting Bugel Clone found at commercial fishing store

The blunt point will have a harder time anywhere there is grass.

Ann
Old 30-06-2021, 23:03   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Found these today online.

Have seen a few trawlers out there with them and was wondering where they were getting them from
Commercial Fishing Equipment | Dyneema Rope

I wonder how the not-so-sharp point affects them?

Wah! You visit a better line of websites that I do, Simi 60!

Be fun to go visit Hampidjan!

The Dyneema cordage looks wonderful.

The Bugel copy is beefy, to say the least. Do you have a weight/size for them? Four to a pallet could mean that we're looking at 200+ kg (although that is unlikely!!). Do you have a figure for the thickness of the plate making up the anchor shank?

The sharpness of the point is definitely an issue in terms of penetration of the ground.

The other issue is the reinforcing plate at right angle to the shank. That reinforcing plate will retard penetration of the anchor shaft into the ground. Meaning that getting the anchor to embed, with the roll bar below the surface of sand or mud, might be jolly difficulty.

A much more interesting anchor might be the one that Hampidjan sells in Europe under its Vonin.com identity:
Old 01-07-2021, 07:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A Bugel "copy" (copy is not the correct term as multiple manufacturers can and do make this anchor, but "copy" is commonly used for Bugel anchors produced by someone other than Wasi) can be a great choice if you are looking for an inexpensive anchor.

However, check the shank angle and other dimensions preferably against a known good manufacturer such as Wasi.

I dont like the anchor pictured. The reinforcing plate on top of the shank will limit the penetration and is weight in the worse possible place. The public wants indestructible anchors, but like many other items of sailboat hardware the best choice is a sensible blend of strength and performance. There are better copies available.

The sharpness of the toe makes a huge difference to the anchor performance. If you want to sell lots of anchors take an existing anchor design and sharpen the toe (make sure you make some other subtle changes to avoid design infringement) and you have a significantly higher performance anchor with little development effort). The problem is thinner toes are more easily bent by rocks etc.

The toe of the Bugel copy pictured does look very blunt which will hinder performance although the Wasi Bugel is also reasonably blunt compared to more modern designs.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:05   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I don't think these are intended for sailboat, and almost definitely not for recreation boats. They look fairly enormous. At a certain size, the effect of a dull toe probably diminishes some amount. The biggest obvious problem is that reinforcing plate on the shank. And I wonder given the weight, and the distribution, plus the thin roll bar, how effective is that roll bar, and might it not just dig into the bottom rather than right the anchor.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, fish, fishing