Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2024, 01:51   #1

All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

That's right, It needs to be said. You can buy anyone of them, they are all the same in performance.
I've monitored this for years.
The main problem is having too smaller anchor for the conditions you might accidentally get in to.
Manufacturers would have you believe otherwise. The only thing the manufacturers have similar is their anchor sizing charts. They all will have you buy too smaller anchor.
28 ton monohull, you need 50-60kg.

So you don't believe me, then take the 30kg loop anchor that you think is the best. Then compare it to the 50kg loop anchor that you think is the worst.
the 30kg will never win. 50kg will outperform substantially.

I've seen enough modern loop anchors dragging, always the wrong size for the boat.

Get yourself the storm sized Bugel, its cheaper than the rest and does the job just the same when sized right.

(yes but mine is the best in the tests and it looks so good in stainless steel...yea yea.. we've heard it all before)
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 01:59   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Well glad you cleared all that up - no need for never ending anchor discussions !
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 02:07   #3

Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Thank you very much SOS for your support. Perhaps the moderators could remove the other loop anchor threads so we don't get any confusion.
(not the Bugel ones though as that's what I have)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:10   #4
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Ah, but I have a Mantus which of course is the best
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 02:42   #5

Steve of SV Panope fame will be greatly relieved, he can stop doing all those endless videos demonstrating the difference between anchor types now.
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 02:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyalk View Post
Steve of SV Panope fame will be greatly relieved, he can stop doing all those endless videos demonstrating the difference between anchor types now.

Ah yes, that's the tester.
I want him to take the best 30kg loop anchor and compare it to the worst 50kg loop anchor.
The best will never win because the manufacturer is not the thing that makes the biggest difference, it the sizing that give the safety not the type, this is a small difference at best and this test would show it.

I hope he reads this.
Old 08-02-2024, 03:13   #7

There is no one so wrong, as that person on the internet so sure they are right! Dogma is such a self evident heuristic.
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 04:15   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Trying to start a flame war? First, you are wrong. But, even if we assume you are correct, I bet you can find a 100kg anchor that will outperform your 50kg Bugel. Why stop there? Make it 200kg and sleep well, or that seems to be what you are saying. I've never dragged my Mantus with a hoop so why would I want to carry and use an anchor that is twice the weight? I prefer an anchor I can pull in by hand rather than one that requires a large windlass, electricity, etc. Plus, I'm not sailing around with extra weight on the bow, and yes I do notice a difference in performance with extra weight up there. Finally, I'm not paying more money for more weight that I don't need to not drag.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:39   #9

Flame war...whats that...never mind

This test would show that the sizing is what's important not the design. we could even do it like this , instead of 50kg and 30kg we could test 40kg and 30kg, perhaps this is more representative... the results would be very interesting.

Or, do you think it would not be interesting pitting the best 30kg against the worst 40kg loop anchor.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:10   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

What if we welded a hoop on an old CQR?..........
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 05:44   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Larger size always helps performance significantly. I don't think that's been disputed. But different designs do show different performance weaknesses (although most of the modern designs are good performers).

Personally, my take on the SV Panope videos is that you want to choose one of the modern anchor designs, selecting for well-rounded behavior in different situations and minimal bad habits, plus something that's a design you can fit on the bow. Then up-size until it's big enough to give adequate performance in the most challenging conditions (such as soft mud or short scope).

Think about some of the differences shown in testing between, say, the original Rocna vs a Mantus or Viking. The Rocna showed a tendency to clog up in some situations, the others didn't. So while they may be close in performance in some situations, the Rocna has a potential failure mode that the Mantus doesn't. So if you can fit both in the same size, I'd rather have the Mantus. But if there's a fit related constraint on the boat, I wouldn't accept a smaller Mantus instead of a larger Rocna.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 05:55   #12

Ok, so lets ask him if he would be interested in doing this test sometime.

we take the 30kg best anchor with 40kg not so good option and see how the results pan out. Hey look at that ... I even got to fit a pun in!!!

I guess by this point he's a bit worn out with the traditional style anchor tests and this gives all the chance to learn and a different slant for him.

(brought to you by the guy who dumps his anchor and chain in a big pile and never does anything with it slowly and carefully)
Old 08-02-2024, 05:56   #13

Quote:
This test would show that the sizing is what's important not the design. we could even do it like this , instead of 50kg and 30kg we could test 40kg and 30kg, perhaps this is more representative... the results would be very interesting.
There is no benefit to carrying around extra weight (along with an increase in size and cost and handling difficulties) on your bow when you can have an anchor with less weight that performs just as well, or even better. Sheer weight is helpful in some very limited circumstances, like trying to penetrate very deep weed or gelatinous mud. Those bottoms are relatively rare, in my experience. But, the bottom line for me is that the recommended size in a 45lb. Mantus anchor has never dragged in many years of use up to gale force winds, so why would I need to go bigger? Would a larger Mantus hold more than a smaller one? Yes, but I don't need it.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:57   #14

Never heard of Bugel anchors. Rocna has an interesting discussion including observations on tip weight and storability on a roller. My takeaway is they may be better than a CQR, but far from optimal compared to modern next-gen anchors.

Comparing 30kg and 50kg is a ludicrous suggestion on many levels. Might as well compare to a Cat 3208 engine block while you're at it.

https://kb.rocna.com/kb/Buegel_anchor
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 05:59   #15

Quote:
Comparing 30kg and 50kg is a ludicrous suggestion on many levels. Might as well compare to a Cat 3208 engine block while you're at it.
Yes! I found a 2-ton granite block held me in a hurricane, so that would be even better.

Tags
anchor