Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 06:14   #1471

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oh man I'm starving. Did we ever establish that someone was going to publish all these in a CF cookbook?
Not me . It takes more than enough effort to keep the index in post #1 updated. I am way too busy cooking and eating, but I vaguely remember Pete7 expressing enthusiasm for compiling a cookbook a while back. Then again my memory is not what it used to be .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:09   #1472

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hear that Pete? We all got a little extra time on our hands these days; you'll make a small fortune I bet!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 15:31   #1473

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don, if you suggest it, isn't it normal to volunteer for it??????

Seems like that's what happens to me when I say, "Wouldn't it be a good idea if.......?"

Old 31-05-2020, 21:11   #1474

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Don, if you suggest it, isn't it normal to volunteer for it??????

Seems like that's what happens to me when I say, "Wouldn't it be a good idea if.......?"

Uhhhhhh.... yeah... hmmm I'll check right into that!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:23   #1475

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With the wind swinging to a northerly overnight, temperatures have plummeted in Scotland. Despite being three days into summer and despite having happily enjoyed the sun kissing bare skin these past few weeks (it is like emerging from a cocoon ), I am back to making soup again today.

My tomato soup recipe is another that has evolved with time. It is a useful recipe on board, as the bulk of the ingredients have a long shelf life and the rest keep well for weeks unrefrigerated. I took the trouble of skinning the butter beans today, a labour intensive process, but I was listening to an audio book so the time slipped by easily .

This can be a slow or quick recipe depending on technique. Given I enjoy pottering in the galley in the mornings, I usually take the slow route and caramelise the onions until they reduce to a soft, sweet mass, patiently sliding the skins off the beans as I did today while I stir the onions and admire the scenery.

The resulting soup is rich and creamy:

TOMATO SOUP
This makes around 3 litres.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
4 onions (reduce to 1 if sautéing the onion only until golden, not caramelising them)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 x 400 g tins whole tomatoes and juice
1 litre water & 1 stock cube (or vegetable stock)
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 x 400g tins butterbeans, drained and skins slipped off (worth doing as provides a lovely creamy texture, but skip if you are in a hurry)
Coconut milk or cream to taste (I usually use half a 400 ml tin)

Optional toppings when serving: Basil leaves and pine nuts

Method:
- Sauté chopped garlic and onion in a large pot until caramelised (around 45 minutes)
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the coconut milk and cover the pot
- Simmer gently for 15 - 45 minutes (flavour improves if left longer)
- Add coconut milk/cream
- Blend
- Enjoy

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBB41304-E710-4720-83F9-91BFE05A125E.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	216527  

Old 03-06-2020, 14:58   #1476
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
With the wind swinging to a northerly overnight, temperatures have plummeted in Scotland. Despite being three days into summer and despite having happily enjoyed the sun kissing bare skin these past few weeks (it is like emerging from a cocoon ), I am back to making soup again today.

My tomato soup recipe is another that has evolved with time. It is a useful recipe on board, as the bulk of the ingredients have a long shelf life and the rest keep well for weeks unrefrigerated. I took the trouble of skinning the butter beans today, a labour intensive process, but I was listening to an audio book so the time slipped by easily .

This can be a slow or quick recipe depending on technique. Given I enjoy pottering in the galley in the mornings, I usually take the slow route and caramelise the onions until they reduce to a soft, sweet mass, patiently sliding the skins off the beans as I did today while I stir the onions and admire the scenery.
The resulting soup is rich and creamy:
TOMATO SOUP
This makes around 3 litres.
- Enjoy

SWL
That looks to be a wonderful soup!
In Eastern Ontario we're experiencing a cold snap after 5 days of over 25C.
Sound like soup and fish 'n' chips tonight!

I got some very nice haddock fillets from Nova Scotia (delivered by a local entrepreneur), I'll coat in flour, then beaten egg, then panko breadcrumbs and shallow fry for 3 mins on one side and 2 mins on t'other.

My SO makes chips on the BBQ. His own invention, bless him!
Peel potatoes and chop into desired chip size. Parboil for 7-10 minutes (or pressure cook for 3 mins) - they should just be getting tender but not necessarily falling apart.
Shake to coat with some oil and spices (jerk seasoning and salt is nice) in a saucepan or bowl.
Put a layer in foil or metal pan(s) on the BBQ and cook on high (450F/230C if you have a thermometer on the BBQ). They start to brown after about 30 mins and are golden brown after an hour.
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 15:00   #1477

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
My tomato soup recipe
+1 for caramelized onions. I usually hold the garlic back until near the end of caramelization so they don't burn. Nicely done. Another good reason for a stick blender in the galley. Or a whisk. Basil goes well in tomato soup.

A great pair with tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich. I toast one side of two slices of bread per sandwich in a dry skillet. These will be the inside of the sandwich. Grate good quality cheese of choice (no Kraft American pasteurized processed cheese food). Layer cheese and thinly sliced tomato and red onion between the toasted sides. Butter your skillet and cook the sandwich on both sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts. If you can't see through the tomato or the onion they aren't thin. Sharpen your knife and try again. If you still struggle start here you won't regret it.

Oh - bacon is a vegetable. It's good for you. Wonderful on grilled cheese.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:58   #1478

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
A great pair with tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich. I toast one side of two slices of bread per sandwich in a dry skillet. These will be the inside of the sandwich. Grate good quality cheese of choice (no Kraft American pasteurized processed cheese food). Layer cheese and thinly sliced tomato and red onion between the toasted sides. Butter your skillet and cook the sandwich on both sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts.

I don't bother to toast the insides of toasted sandwiches.

I make them with a lot of different fillings. In the last week, in addition to toasted cheese, I've made them with :
leftover cooked chicken with mayo
and

leftover baked beans

Butter one slice of bread.
Butter second slice and place it butter side down on the first slice.
Place filling on unbuttered side of top slice.
Place top slice and filling in skillter using a "fish slice"
Place first slice of bread on top, butter side up.
Gently press down on sandwich for a few seconds with fish slice.

When bottom is browned, flip sandwich over.

Again press down gently for a few seconds with fish slice.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 00:14   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I do that for some sandwiches to keep the bread from getting soggy.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:01   #1480

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
My SO makes chips on the BBQ. His own invention, bless him!
Peel potatoes and chop into desired chip size. Parboil for 7-10 minutes (or pressure cook for 3 mins) - they should just be getting tender but not necessarily falling apart.
Shake to coat with some oil and spices (jerk seasoning and salt is nice) in a saucepan or bowl.
Put a layer in foil or metal pan(s) on the BBQ and cook on high (450F/230C if you have a thermometer on the BBQ). They start to brown after about 30 mins and are golden brown after an hour.
Your SO sounds like a keeper .
Do you add mushy peas to your fish and chips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
A great pair with tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich. I toast one side of two slices of bread per sandwich in a dry skillet. These will be the inside of the sandwich. Grate good quality cheese of choice (no Kraft American pasteurized processed cheese food). Layer cheese and thinly sliced tomato and red onion between the toasted sides. Butter your skillet and cook the sandwich on both sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts. If you can't see through the tomato or the onion they aren't thin. Sharpen your knife and try again. If you still struggle start here......
This is one spot that only pure butter will suffice .

Isn’t Jacques Pépin delightful! Now that is what I call a chef, as opposed to a good cook. He is a treat to watch preparing food with an obligatory glass of wine on hand.

Quote:

I make them with a lot of different fillings. In the last week, in addition to toasted cheese, I've made them with :
leftover cooked chicken with mayo
and

leftover baked beans

Butter one slice of bread.
Butter second slice and place it butter side down on the first slice.
Place filling on unbuttered side of top slice.
Place top slice and filling in skillter using a "fish slice"
Place first slice of bread on top, butter side up.
Gently press down on sandwich for a few seconds with fish slice.

When bottom is browned, flip sandwich over.

Again press down gently for a few seconds with fish slice.
+1 for technique! That is precisely what I do, except I use a spatula not a fish slice .

And +1 for baked bean fillings, although I have only used these in a jaffle iron, as they spill out the sides. Two irons lived on every boat we owned in Australia and baked beans or cheese were consistently the preferred fillings. These round toasties with sealed edges tasted like food of the gods after a hard day’s sailing . The leftover triangular corner bits of crust fed the fish.

When we first started full time cruising in Europe I found they must be an Aussie phenomenon and with no jaffle irons and no baked beans, I was at a total loss knowing what to cook on board for at least the first six months .

SWL

Old 04-06-2020, 02:20   #1481

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
+1 for technique! That is precisely what I do, except I use a spatula not a fish slice
In my lexicon:

A fish slice is a spatula. A spatula is not necessarily a fish slice

But others will disagree.

And I'm didn't mean one of those antique silver fish slices with a wavy leading edge
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:45   #1482

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And I'm didn't mean one of those antique silver fish slices with a wavy leading edge
You are letting standards slip .

Old 04-06-2020, 16:26   #1483
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Totally gourmet, you guys. White bread and butter with fish'n'chips is all I'm saying on the topic!

One of my snack staples is packages of pre-made tortillas that you can buy in a bag of 10 usually. They keep for a couple of months unrefrigerated before opening. They can then be used in wraps, or for a dip, made into tortilla "chips":

Cut the tortillas into 8 pieces (like a pie) with a pair of scissors or a knife. 1-2 whole tortillas per person depending on size.
Put the tortilla pieces onto your camping toaster (or onto your BBQ grill) as many as will fit at one time. Toast until lightly brown and crispy. You can turn them over as desired.
Watch them like a hawk - they will burn.
Take off the grill and put in a bowl to cool. Toast the rest the same way.

Recommended dip: Salsa; spicy, crushed tomato dip.
(As made in the 90's by the Mexican Café, Annapolis, Maryland).

1 can crushed tomatoes or blenderize a can of tomatoes.
1 onion chopped finely
1 celery stick chopped finely
1 red/green peppers (capsicum) chopped finely (if available)
1/2 cucumber or courgette (summer squash) chopped finely (if desired)
Finely chopped garlic to taste (3 cloves is a minimum around here)
Large squirt of Sriracha or your available chilli sauce, or 1-2 fresh chillies finely chopped, or 1-2 tsp chilli powder.
Salt, pepper to taste.

Stir everything together and enjoy!
This makes a lot. It keeps for several days in the fridge. If it starts to look suspicious, cook it up as the base of a soup or Neapolitan pasta sauce.
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 17:27   #1484

Boat: Still building

The par boiled BBQ chips idea also works well for "Instant Roast Potatoes".

Chop spuds into 3-5cm chunks, as though for pan roasting in an oven.

Par boil for 4-5mins.

Drain, pat dry, then drop into hot oil in deep fryer or saucepan. I use a dipping basket (like what comes in a deep fryer) that fits my regular saucepan.

BE CAREFUL as the oil will froth and foam EVERYWHERE when you first drop them in. Can froth over the side and this gets intense on a gas or alcohol burner - like, "where's the fire blanket and extinguisher" kind of intense. So, BE careful..!!

Do it gently and then remove to let oil calm down. Might need several dunk and removes.

Then cook till golden on the outside.

Voilà! Instant-ish Roasted Potatoes.

Ends up kinda like a chunky hash brown or large Potato Noisettes (if you have those delicious balls of goodness over there).

You can coat the spuds pre oil-dunking in salt, pepper, spice mix, whatever...

Ex-girlfriends Mum taught me that trick 35 years ago.....

Make the chunks smaller 2-4cm for a faster cook and easier eating. They then DO look like Potato Noisettes.

Kids LOVE them...!!!!

[and so do Big Kids...]
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:37   #1485

Momos are great little foods that can be an app or a main. What follows is what I learned from Tibetan Buddhists. You can replace the meat with anything. Beans, mirepoix, whatever. Rolling out the dough is the hardest part. Note the video link for closing up the momo. These are just dumplings that go by various names throughout Southeast Asia.

Oh, if you stumble across yak meat I highly recommend it.

Momos

1 c flour
3/8 c water - too much water
1/4# meat
1/4 c cilantro
1/4 c onions
1 T garlic
1 T ginger
1/2 T cumin
1/4 t cinnamon
S&P

Mix together the flour and room temperature water in a bowl. Knead the dough well until it is medium-firm and flexible. Cover and let rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile, mix together the cooked meat, cilantro, onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. I prefer to cook the meat with onions and garlic and stir in the spices at the end. You can use beef, lamb, chicken, or--if you can get it--yak.

To make the wrappers: Break off 1/2 ounce of dough and forming it into a ball. Place the ball on a flat surface and roll it into a 4-inch round with a rolling pin.

Repeat with the remaining dough.

Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of a wrapper. Holding the wrapper in your left hand. Use your right thumb and index finger to start pinching the edges of the wrapper together. Pinch and fold until the edges of the circle close up like a little satchel. Here is a great video

Oil a steamer. I use a hand-pump oil sprayer that I use in lieu of cooking spray.

Place the momos in the prepared steamer pan. Fill the steamer pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Set the steamer pan with the momos on top of the pot and cover with a tight lid. Steam the momos until cooked, 8 to 9 minutes.