Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 12:58   #1456

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I have enjoyed watching this thread roll along. I keep checking in to see what has developed. So thank you to the contributors.

Speaking of pulses....inspired by a recent Bon Appetit video https://youtu.be/7eV1ZgwB9bY, we made dosa on the boat this last week.

We used equal parts rice flour and ground masor dal, with a pinch of fenugreek and enough water to make a thin crepe like batter. Ferment for two days and cook on a hot griddle like a crepe. A little ghee around the edges as it cooks.

The result was crisp and delectable. These things can be filled with sweet or savory stuff from your imagination. The batter keeps for a good while sitting in a cool dry place. We love griddling out a couple dosa for afternoon tea or to complement a meal, serving fresh and hot.

The ingredients can be varied and experimented with. We have a following batch made with a bit of left over rice from lunch and freshly ground dal.
Hi Brent
Thanks for introducing me to dosas. I have just watched the video. Fascinating what can be done with rice and pulses! I am keen to taste one of these crispy pancakes.

Did you actually use rice flour rather than soaking and processing grains of rice as they did in the video?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 13:07   #1457

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I used rice flour cause it was around the galley. One can also used left over cooked rice. Traditionally the rice is par boiled. Either way we add the rice and dal to the food processor, dripping water into the mix until all is smooth and the batter is crepe batter consistency.

The magic is in the fermentation. Just for comparison try cooking a dosa with freshly mixed batter, then with the same batter after it is frothy with fermentation. I much prefer the fermented version. The fenugreek is said to help kick off the fermentation as well as adding unique flavor.
Old 24-05-2020, 13:25   #1458

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I used rice flour cause it was around the galley. One can also used left over cooked rice. Traditionally the rice is par boiled. Either way we add the rice and dal to the food processor, dripping water into the mix until all is smooth and the batter is crepe batter consistency.

The magic is in the fermentation. Just for comparison try cooking a dosa with freshly mixed batter, then with the same batter after it is frothy with fermentation. I much prefer the fermented version. The fenugreek is said to help kick off the fermentation as well as adding unique flavor.
One more question: You used “ground masor dal”. Was this par boiled or cooked or soaked, or bought already ground like the rice flour? Again, whole dry pulses were used in the recipe and soaked overnight.

I am curious as I don’t have a food processor on board, just a stick mixer and I don’t think it would handle finely processing dal that was simply soaked.

SWL

Old 24-05-2020, 13:33   #1459

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Soaking overnight I am sure is a good idea. We ground the unsoaked dry whole dal in a little spice grinder we have on board. Next time I think we will soak overnight before grinding.

I also think the dal could be cooked per normal procedure, dal with equal amount of water and some salt. Then the cooked dal should be soft and grind up easily. I would watch the fermentation carefully then, since cooking likely kills of the bacteria that starts the fermentation. So if needed add a few whole dry dal to the already cooked mix just for the bacteria they naturally carry.
Old 24-05-2020, 13:39   #1460

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank Brent .
I will give this a go when I can source some fenugreek. If I can’t find any locally here in Scotland I may try using baking soda, as was substituted apparently successfully in one batch in the video.

SWL

Old 24-05-2020, 14:02   #1461

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS I need to change the rating I gave the banana blondies.
I served my husband’s with custard for dessert and the verdict was “Just about as good as your apple crumble”.
Well, nothing is as good as my apple crumble so that is high praise indeed .

All in all they were a success .

SWL

Old 25-05-2020, 09:52   #1462

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CHICKPEA PATTIES

While on the topic of pulses, the following is an extremely versatile recipe for patties. The sky is the limit when it comes to flavouring them. They have a smooth, creamy centre like mashed potatoes do, with a crispy exterior.

The basis is a couple of tins of drained chickpeas, a cup of rolled oats and ⅓ cup of water, processed together until smooth. Both Asian and Middle Eastern flavourings lend themselves well here, combined with sautéed onion and garlic. They are particularly good with a cup of chopped fresh herbs added such as parsley, mint and /or coriander, but these can be substituted with a tablespoon of dried herbs, or omitted altogether.

They are best served straight out of the pan so there is a good contrast between the crispy outside and soft inside, but they are good cold as well. The crust can be enhanced by rolling them in Panko breadcrumbs or sesame seeds before shallow frying them.

The mixture can even be used raw, spread on crusty warm sourdough or simply crispbread.

The mixture can be made a few days in advance and refrigerated, or cooked immediately.

As I said, the recipe is very versatile .

This is the batch made today:

INGREDIENTS:
½-1 head garlic, cloves seperated but unpeeled
1 tablespoon ev olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 cup rolled oats
⅓ cup water

Flavourings:
- 1-2 chopped fresh chillies (I used my homemade harissa)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard (wholegrain or Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- zest 1 lemon or lime

- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained (or soak and cook some dried ones)

- 1 cup (30g) finely chopped parsley or coriander or mint or a combination (can be omitted, but extra good with)

- 1 tablespoon of oil per pan for cooking (I use very little oil and a non stick pan when I shallow fry)

METHOD:
Fry whole unpeeled cloves in the oil on low for about 5 minutes until they soften. Don’t be scared by the quantity. The cloves dramatically change in character, just as they do with roasting.
Set aside and when cool squeeze out the contents and add to chickpeas.
Saute the onion in the residual oil until golden.

Meanwhile puree oats and water and flavourings (a food processor is best, but a stick mixer is adequate if you have a heavy duty one).
Continue pureeing while adding chickpeas and garlic.

Stir in cooked onion and herbs.

Form small patties whatever size is desired (I make them about the same size as falafel) and shallow fry in hot oil until brown. Flip and cook the other side.

I like them with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce or a dollop of chutney or homemade pesto (sundried tomato & walnut today) and scattered with a few pinenuts. They can be eaten as is or popped in a buns or pita bread or wraps with salad, or served with side dishes as a main meal.

These are a very useful “staple” recipe on board, as they are packed with goodness and apart from the fresh herbs, all the other ingredients else keep well long term unrefrigerated.

And if you find yourself without any means of cooking food, use the uncooked mixture as a spread (just reduce the garlic to a small clove unless you are singlehanding ).

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71CF005D-C48E-4BFE-B064-18F5BF059618.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	215765  

Old 25-05-2020, 10:40   #1463
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
... “Just about as good as your apple crumble”...
Praise indeed! Mind you, there is little (apart from kippers) that isn't improved by custard!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 10:50   #1464
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
CHICKPEA PATTIES
We call those falafel. Your version sounds great!

On the subject of Mediterranean/Middle-East cookery there is a dish called foul mudammas, which is most delicious.

There are lots of recipes online, but it's basically a savory fava bean stew (dried broad beans). I have also used chickpeas, lentils and lima beans on occasion.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:22   #1465

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
We call those falafel. Your version sounds great!

On the subject of Mediterranean/Middle-East cookery there is a dish called foul mudammas, which is most delicious.

There are lots of recipes online, but it's basically a savory fava bean stew (dried broad beans). I have also used chickpeas, lentils and lima beans on occasion.
The addition of the rolled oats is the key to the success of my version . It binds the mixture beautifully.
I am a bit wary of eating raw chickpeas, so I don’t make traditional falafel, but I do flavour these the same way often. To the “standard” base I just add two teaspoons of whole cumin seeds and one of coriander seeds, both toasted and ground, plus the garlic and fresh herbs. Yum!

SWL

PS I can’t help but link fava beans with Anthony Hopkins. Anyone remember “Silence of the Lambs”?

Old 25-05-2020, 14:28   #1466

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
CHICKPEA PATTIES

While on the topic of pulses, the following is an extremely versatile recipe for patties. The sky is the limit when it comes to flavouring them. They have a smooth, creamy centre like mashed potatoes do, with a crispy exterior.

The basis is a couple of tins of drained chickpeas, a cup of rolled oats and ⅓ cup of water, processed together until smooth. Both Asian and Middle Eastern flavourings lend themselves well here, combined with sautéed onion and garlic. They are particularly good with a cup of chopped fresh herbs added such as parsley, mint and /or coriander, but these can be substituted with a tablespoon of dried herbs, or omitted altogether.

They are best served straight out of the pan so there is a good contrast between the crispy outside and soft inside, but they are good cold as well. The crust can be enhanced by rolling them in Panko breadcrumbs or sesame seeds before shallow frying them.

The mixture can even be used raw, spread on crusty warm sourdough or simply crispbread.

The mixture can be made a few days in advance and refrigerated, or cooked immediately.

As I said, the recipe is very versatile .

This is the batch made today:

INGREDIENTS:

½-1 head garlic, cloves seperated but unpeeled

1 cup rolled oats

⅓ cup water

Flavourings:

- 1-2 chopped fresh chillies (I used my homemade harissa)

- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger

- 1 teaspoon turmeric

- 2 teaspoons mustard (wholegrain or Dijon)

- 1 teaspoon salt

- zest 1 lemon or lime

- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained (or soak and cook some dried ones)

- 1 cup (30g) finely chopped parsley or coriander or mint or a combination (can be omitted, but extra good with)

- 1 tablespoon of oil per pan for cooking (I use very little oil and a non stick pan when I shallow fry)

METHOD:

Fry whole unpeeled cloves in the oil on low for about 5 minutes until they soften. Don’t be scared by the quantity. The cloves dramatically change in character, just as they do with roasting.

Set aside and when cool squeeze out the contents and add to chickpeas.

Saute the onion in the residual oil until golden.

Meanwhile puree oats and water and flavourings (a food processor is best, but a stick mixer is adequate if you have a heavy duty one).

Continue pureeing while adding chickpeas and garlic.

Stir in cooked onion and herbs.

Form small patties whatever size is desired (I make them about the same size as falafel) and shallow fry in hot oil until brown. Flip and cook the other side.

I like them with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce or a dollop of chutney or homemade pesto (sundried tomato & walnut today) and scattered with a few pinenuts. They can be eaten as is or popped in a buns or pita bread or wraps with salad, or served with side dishes as a main meal.

These are a very useful “staple” recipe on board, as they are packed with goodness and apart from the fresh herbs, all the other ingredients else keep well long term unrefrigerated.

And if you find yourself without any means of cooking food, use the uncooked mixture as a spread (just reduce the garlic to a small clove unless you are singlehanding ).

SWL

Awesome, I’m in, I’ll try to make them ) thank you!
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:36   #1467

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
PS I can’t help but link fava beans with Anthony Hopkins. Anyone remember “Silence of the Lambs”?

Me too. That was when I first learnt that broad beans are called fava beans in the US
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 09:44   #1468

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ras El Hanout revisited:

This fragrant Moroccan blend of spices translates literally as “top of the shop” or in other words the best blend the spice trader has to offer.

It is a rich, warm, complex, aromatic blend that I find is best not overpowered with any chilli or garlic.

I posted a recipe for this a few years ago and it was interesting to go back and see how it compared with what I am now mixing. My cooking is a constantly evolving process . I have decreased the amount of cumin and added a few spices now that my spice collection has expanded on board.

This blend teams beautifully with carrots, so the batch of chickpea and carrot pattie mix that I made this morning was flavoured with this. I will post the recipe after I have made dinner tonight.

Moroccan spice blend (Ras El Hanout):

This makes enough for around 5 dishes to feed 4 to 6. It is best mixed in small quantities and used reasonably quickly:

4 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cardamon seeds (discard husks of pods)
1 teaspoon smoky paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon nutmeg (grate this rather than grinding)
1 teaspoon mace
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon star anise
¼ teaspoon cloves

Whole spices give a dramatically better hit of flavour (and they tend to maintain their character well over a long period of time compared to the powdered versions), so I try and use these where possible. Some such as the ginger, cayenne pepper and paprika need to be bought pre ground.
Toast the whole spices gently for a few minutes in a dry pan to enhance their flavour. They burn easily so watch them like a hawk while toasting .
Allow to cool.

Grind the whole spices and combine with the powdered ones.

Store in a well sealed small glass jar.

The amount typically needed for a dish to serve 4-6 people is around 4 teaspoons. To this add freshly ground salt (I like pink Himalayan rock salt) and ground black peppercorns to taste.

SWL

Old 28-05-2020, 13:26   #1469

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CHICKPEA AND CARROT PATTIES

I have a carrot lover on board, so these are always popular .
The recipe is just a variation of the Chickpea Patties one posted a few days ago. I often can’t source fresh herbs, but happily I had coriander to add today.

Ingredients:
500 g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated

½ cup water
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
1 cup rolled oats
4 teaspoons Ras El Hanout spice blend (see previous post)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 cup (30g) finely chopped coriander (can be omitted, but extra good with)

2 tablespoons oil per pan for cooking

Method:
Sauté onion until golden
Add carrot, stir well and cook 5 minutes on low until slightly softened. Cool.
Blend rest of ingredients except herbs.
Stir in carrot mix and herbs.
Refrigerate at least a few hours.
Form small, not too thin patties and shallow fry until both sides browned well.

Now that the weather is warmer I like serving these on a plate of shredded mixed salad leaves with cherry tomatoes, drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil and pine nuts.

The colour of these is intense. I have not altered the saturation of the photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92E2D729-1CA1-4315-AFC6-FF8133DB058F.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	215987   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB04857D-D3D5-4EF8-A824-1384801A130B.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	215988  

Old 28-05-2020, 17:45   #1470

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Oh man I'm starving. Did we ever establish that someone was going to publish all these in a CF cookbook?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote