Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 09:57   #1486
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,381
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Momos are great little foods that can be an app or a main. What follows is what I learned from Tibetan Buddhists. You can replace the meat with anything. Beans, mirepoix, whatever. Rolling out the dough is the hardest part. Note the video link for closing up the momo. These are just dumplings that go by various names throughout Southeast Asia.

Oh, if you stumble across yak meat I highly recommend it.

Momos

1 c flour
3/8 c water - too much water
1/4# meat
1/4 c cilantro
1/4 c onions
1 T garlic
1 T ginger
1/2 T cumin
1/4 t cinnamon
S&P

Mix together the flour and room temperature water in a bowl. Knead the dough well until it is medium-firm and flexible. Cover and let rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile, mix together the cooked meat, cilantro, onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. I prefer to cook the meat with onions and garlic and stir in the spices at the end. You can use beef, lamb, chicken, or--if you can get it--yak.

To make the wrappers: Break off 1/2 ounce of dough and forming it into a ball. Place the ball on a flat surface and roll it into a 4-inch round with a rolling pin.

Repeat with the remaining dough.

Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of a wrapper. Holding the wrapper in your left hand. Use your right thumb and index finger to start pinching the edges of the wrapper together. Pinch and fold until the edges of the circle close up like a little satchel. Here is a great video: .....

Oil a steamer. I use a hand-pump oil sprayer that I use in lieu of cooking spray.

Place the momos in the prepared steamer pan. Fill the steamer pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Set the steamer pan with the momos on top of the pot and cover with a tight lid. Steam the momos until cooked, 8 to 9 minutes.

What beautiful wrapping!
Not to be underestimated, as I think we feast with our eyes and noses first, then our taste buds .

They look very much like Chinese or Japanese dumplings and are essentially just another version of ravioli or pierogi/vareniki. They are popular for good reason .

I would replace the meat with vegetables (and maybe pulses) as well though .
Meat does not turn me on at all.

I will give these a go in a week or two, particularly as I know my other half will enjoy these as well. I am just on a mini detox at the moment with minimal carbs (particularly no refined ones and no added sugars of any kind and zero dairy). I have been at it a week and feeling fantastic so I have lots of incentive to keep it up. My taste buds are surprisingly particularly appreciating it. All the other normal things I eat just taste extra, extra good and I feel very satiated. I will eventually introduce small amounts of my homemade bread and pizza and these dumplings later as occasional treats.

Does it take long to learn how to seal the wrapping? I think the YouTube just makes it look deceptively easy. I will enjoy playing with getting the hang of this, so thanks for the link.

SWL
__________________
Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:32   #1487
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 3,216
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I would replace the meat with vegetables (and maybe pulses) as well though .
Meat does not turn me on at all.

/snip/

Does it take long to learn how to seal the wrapping? I think the YouTube just makes it look deceptively easy. I will enjoy playing with getting the hang of this, so thanks for the link.
I figured y'all would be better at converting to plant-based than I so I shared the recipe as I learned it. Another thought is to use anything you might put in a summer roll: slivered cabbage, shaved carrot, julienned celery, finely diced mushroom.

For those more ambidextrously inclined with respect to food sources I really do recommend yak. That was not a joke.

I found folding and sealing the dumplings to be quite straightforward. I remain much slower than the video but they come out very nice. Rolling out the dough for the wrappers is the hard part. I keep wrapping the dough around the rolling pin.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:42   #1488
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,381
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I figured y'all would be better at converting to plant-based than I so I shared the recipe as I learned it. Another thought is to use anything you might put in a summer roll: slivered cabbage, shaved carrot, julienned celery, finely diced mushroom.
I was think along similar lines (just omitting the celery), softening the above, with the addition of ginger and garlic and sesame oil. That will taste wonderful in these .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I found folding and sealing the dumplings to be quite straightforward. I remain much slower than the video but they come out very nice. Rolling out the dough for the wrappers is the hard part. I keep wrapping the dough around the rolling pin.
I may try rolling the dough between two sheets of baking paper. That works very well for any pastry. My rolling pin is the most recent wine bottle .

I have been enjoying exploring other recipes for this online. The dough apparently benefits from longer resting, so I will try that.

SWL
__________________
Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:37   #1489
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 3,216
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I may try rolling the dough between two sheets of baking paper. That works very well for any pastry. My rolling pin is the most recent wine bottle
I'll have to save a wine bottle and try that. I've been using a fancy marble pastry pin that spends time in the freezer before use. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

The recipe is from observation of the Tibetan Buddhists and they did fine with wooden rolling pins that had to be a hundred years old after the rest period listed. I suspect skill and practice. Just the right amount of pressure, the right speed. I'll have to go back to visit when such travel is responsible.

For entertainment value, the American Buddhists at my sister's monastery are picky with all sorts of restrictions. The Tibetan Buddhists will eat pretty much anything that doesn't move very fast. The Tibetans scarf down my mac & cheese with bacon while the vegan Americans look on in horror. Chinese incursions have put a dent in the whole pacifism thing as well. I've gone shooting with a couple of Rinpoches that led to interesting stories.

I think you can infer where the name of my boat came from. *grin*
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:59   #1490
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,381
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I'll have to save a wine bottle and try that. I've been using a fancy marble pastry pin that spends time in the freezer before use. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I donít think there is much benefit to that in this instance, as the dough contains no added fat. It is useful when the pastry is laden with solid fat eg butter or lard. Keeping absolutely everything cold then (all the ingredients and the rolling surface as well) is beneficial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
The recipe is from observation of the Tibetan Buddhists and they did fine with wooden rolling pins that had to be a hundred years old after the rest period listed. I suspect skill and practice. Just the right amount of pressure, the right speed. I'll have to go back to visit when such travel is responsible.

For entertainment value, the American Buddhists at my sister's monastery are picky with all sorts of restrictions. The Tibetan Buddhists will eat pretty much anything that doesn't move very fast. The Tibetans scarf down my mac & cheese with bacon while the vegan Americans look on in horror. Chinese incursions have put a dent in the whole pacifism thing as well. I've gone shooting with a couple of Rinpoches that led to interesting stories.
My only personal contact with orange clothed Buddhist monks was in Sri Lanka. It must have been a huge novelty for the young ones seeing a Westerner in native tunic and pants at the top of Sigiriya out of season, as they asked for a photo to be taken with me .

A Greek monk did make me pan fried fish he had caught and horta, but that is another story .

SWL
__________________
Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 15:27   #1491
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 3,216
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My only personal contact with orange clothed Buddhist monks was in Sri Lanka. It must have been a huge novelty for the young ones seeing a Westerner in native tunic and pants at the top of Sigiriya out of season, as they asked for a photo to be taken with me
My sister entered Tibetan Buddhism in 1985. She is now a lama in Karmapa. I've had the privilege of meeting many interesting people. Tai Situ Rinpoche painted the ideograph for Auspicious as a gift and a digitized rendition now flies on a battle flag on my boat.

Their entourages have taught me a great deal in a number of kitchens. For example, I learned from a wizened monk that they usually put yogurt under a saddle blanket over a yak but in Western countries leaving it atop a water heater or in a cold oven with the light turned on works fine. *grin* I came up with culturing in a warm engine room on my own.

Burgundy robes, golden under tunic, shaved heads is what I'm used to.

Oh - I can crank out butter lamps at a high rate. I'm apparently trainable. The trick is not overthinking it. Cup, wick, butter. Move on. The Buddhists were not impressed by streaming Netflix so I just think about other things.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 22:08   #1492
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,381
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
My sister entered Tibetan Buddhism in 1985. She is now a lama in Karmapa. I've had the privilege of meeting many interesting people. Tai Situ Rinpoche painted the ideograph for Auspicious as a gift and a digitized rendition now flies on a battle flag on my boat.

Their entourages have taught me a great deal in a number of kitchens. For example, I learned from a wizened monk that they usually put yogurt under a saddle blanket over a yak but in Western countries leaving it atop a water heater or in a cold oven with the light turned on works fine. *grin* I came up with culturing in a warm engine room on my own.

Burgundy robes, golden under tunic, shaved heads is what I'm used to.

Oh - I can crank out butter lamps at a high rate. I'm apparently trainable. The trick is not overthinking it. Cup, wick, butter. Move on. The Buddhists were not impressed by streaming Netflix so I just think about other things.
Priceless experience for you!
__________________
Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 22:41   #1493
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 3,216
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Tibet is mostly high altitude so foods such as rice, tea, and flour come from lower elevations. Barley grows okay. Eating tends toward meat from animals that fend for themselves. This is quite different than the Western perception of gentle vegetarians.

There are some foods that are or can be plant-based. Thukpa is noodles with just about anything in hand - what I call refrigerator scraping. Sha phaley is much like an English pasty. You can put anything in it. Laping is a spicy cold mung bean noodle dish. Honestly I mostly just make momos. *grin* Sometimes Laping as I enjoy growing my own sprouts, mung among them.

Vegetarians who interact with Tibetans should be thoughtful of the altitude of the country. High altitude is cold. People who live in cold climes tend toward consumption of fats. Nothing is safe. Tibetans put a large knob of butter in their tea, conventionally yak butter but they are quite happy with Land O' Lakes. It's pretty vile.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brunswick closes another plant sneuman Dollars & Cents 3 25-03-2008 12:39
Plant Visit in Ximan China michael201 Monohull Sailboats 7 21-06-2007 19:32

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.