Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 20:14   #91

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Efficient cooking

We are not removing our propane options, but we are collecting counter-top electrical options. We have a slow cooker, pressure cooker, and hot plate. They can all be used inside or outside on our catamaran's covered aft table.

They do draw obscene power. That's how you make heat But we have a 2800w inverter and wompum big batteries and solar.

I REALLY like being able to put the heat outside. We've only done it a few times, but it makes a big difference.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 20:15   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The video you refer to is not a Department of Transportation video it is someone selling these things and that canister is not at all like the 1lb. bottles most buy at Walmart.
He's not selling anything, he's just demonstrating what he bought at some Ice Fishing Show......

DOT & TC certified for 12 years (10 years in Canada) - UL1769 listed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=DOT+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

.......and now....

*** 1 Lb Recall Notification ***

>>>>> Recall

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 21:15   #93

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post

They do draw obscene power. That's how you make heat But we have a 2800w inverter and wompum big batteries and solar.
I don't like seeing more than 25 amps being pulled from the batts for any length of time.

We have 1680 ah of 12v (800@24v), 2250 of solar and a 5000w inverter and wouldn't run one , unless in middle of day full sun and everything fully charged, without the genset going as well.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 21:53   #94

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
This thing is awesome and dramatically reduces propane use.

wonderbags.....

I have 2 a big one and a little one. they are awesome. I use it to rise dough, stews, soups, rice, lentals, everything i can get away with.

Neat story behind it aswell
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:22   #95

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Retained Heat Cooking uses a lot less energy than continuous active heating, dramatically reduces heat transfer into boat, and does not need to be monitored (as does anything with an active burner)...so you can go do fun stuff like snorkel.

The concept is ancient, but there are new variations on it like the Wonder Bag.

https://www.wonderbagworld.com/
+1... I try to minimize my electric power consumption. I use an LPG stove to cook then: store boiled coffee/tea water in a Thermos Jug and finish cooking oatmeal, pasta, stew etc. in a DIY wonder bag. In nice weather, I cook meat and roasted veggies outside on the grill.

As for propane safety, I'm careful and turn off the solenoid switch when I'm not cooking, have a Xintex gas sniffer, and turn off at the tank when LPG will not be used for awhile.
Old 10-07-2019, 00:40   #96

Boat: Friese 'praam', 65'

I'm building a revised version of the old 'straw box'. Box made of thin ply, insulation (foam) lining, inner box of thin ply, with a lining of aluminium foil. The lid is reversible; one side is insulated and fits into the box, sealing the heat in - a slow cooker. The other side of the lid is mirrored, and the lid can be set at an angle; turn it towards the sun and it's a solar oven. Perhaps a bit bulky for some boats, but we are currently on a large, old, converted steel boat, and we have the jetty of approximately 100 square metres. When we buy the Formosa, we might not take the box with us
David1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39   #97
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I was contemplating an induction cooktop when two of my remaining grey cells ran into each other. After the usual pleasantries of “hey! Long time no see” the subject of magnetic fields associated with induction cooking came up. The question is whether the mag fields produced have any affect on the electronics, compass or flux gate compass? I’ve found articles about adverse effects on some types of pacemakers but that’s it.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:50   #98

Boat: a sailing boat

Genset + induction plate is awesome.

Done in cats.

And in some big monos.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:08   #99

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t have anything against electric cooking, we have a toaster for instance, cause toasting with the oven is well, not easy or smart I don’t think, but I think I have noticed something, and that’s we try to always try to be in warm weather, which means when away from the Marina with usually everything opened up, exception is of course when it’s raining.

The best way to make toast without electricity is to use a diffuser on a gas burner. Works better than an oven and uses less gas. You can also use a diffuser on other heat sources, electric stove, wood stove, probably induction, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So your amp counting?
I do also of course, and surprisingly to me it’s is accurate and stays so, but I assume that is because pretty much everyday I achieve 100% full SOC based on trailing amps charge at absorption voltage.

See the difference here is that you don't have to do that and the fact that you insist on keeping your batteries at or near 100% SOC limits what you can put into them with your panels.

Just let the SOC drop and figure you're doing fine on a bright day if they get up to 90%. If flooded then equalize every month or two. Your batteries won't last as long but so what. Sails don't last as long if you use them either. Besides you'll run the generator less and save some wear and tear and fuel cost.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:12   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post
The refill adaptors for 1lb propane cylinders should not be used under any circumstances.

- The valving of the small "disposable" cylinders is not designed for refilling.

- Refill methods of inverting the primary cylinder and cooling the secondary cylinder are based on individual users' trial and error.

Welcome to Cruisers Forum

There are refillable 1# cylinders that are now widely available for people who want to do this. They have thicker walls and the proper certifications but still have the same approximate size and shape and the same connector.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Re..._df_B00MM3GCVO
Old 06-08-2019, 10:16   #101

Quote:
Neither Canadian nor US Departments of Transportation makes allowances for supposedly refillable 16.4oz. bottles

Look at the photo in the link I just posted.

On the bottom ring of the cylinder, on the left side, there are DOT and Transport Canada approval stamps. They are approved under the same rules that apply to larger cylinders, DOT-4B and TC-4B.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:19   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I am reluctant to remove the propane setup that I have even though I use induction. It covers eventualities should untoward things happen. A handmade wooden cover over the hob hides the propane burners.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:23   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
We have a kerosene stove with oven and we love it. We have been cruising for 4 years now and have filled up with kerosene 3 times with an amount of 24 liters each time.
Kerosene gives you high energy/volume and weight. Last fill up was in St. John, Antigua and it was very cheap. I think we payed $30 EC for the 24 liter. When I where to pay and they said 30 dollars I handed over $30 US but to my surprise they wanted 30 $EC.
We have 420 W of solar power and use a 1400 W water heater for making tea and coffee which saves on the fuel to the stove. This is also much safer when under sail.
We are a crew of 2 and making coffee takes about 8 Ah from our 12 V house batteries.
I am surprised that kerosene is so seldom used since you really don't have trouble carrying enough to survive maybe at least a year. Getting the burner started takes a minute and when you get used to it is nothing to worry about.

/Hans

I am curious which stove you have.

The problem with kerosene is that it is messy and odoriferous. The great thing about it is that, like diesel, you can jug it around, and it is for that reason that it was more popular than propane for many years. The BTU content per gallon is about 50% higher than propane and because you can store it in square containers you can end up fitting more gallons in the same locker. So yes you can carry twice the useful fuel in the same space.

Probably not a tradeoff I would make.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:25   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I was contemplating an induction cooktop when two of my remaining grey cells ran into each other. After the usual pleasantries of “hey! Long time no see” the subject of magnetic fields associated with induction cooking came up. The question is whether the mag fields produced have any affect on the electronics, compass or flux gate compass? I’ve found articles about adverse effects on some types of pacemakers but that’s it.

The magnetic fields fall off with distance and are similar in magnitude to what you would get from a generator, windlass, or isolation transformer. I would keep them a few feet from the compass but other than that I wouldn't worry much.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28   #105

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
That’s a good question. The EM field used to heat the pot is alternating with no fixed DC component. Therefore, the cooktop does not affect a compass. The pots themselves are magnetic and should be kept away from a compass.

Also, the frequency of the EM field is very low and well below that which could cause any health or mental effects.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking