Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Efficient cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Retained Heat Cooking uses a lot less energy than continuous active heating, dramatically reduces heat transfer into boat, and does not need to be monitored (as does anything with an active burner)...so you can go do fun stuff like snorkel.

The concept is ancient, but there are new variations on it like the Wonder Bag.

https://www.wonderbagworld.com/
This thing is awesome and dramatically reduces propane use.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15   #62

Boat: Riva 48

For me optimal cooking scenarios are:

Instapot electric pressure cooker, 700W, super efficient, healthy.

Propane Grill obviously.

Alcohol stove with odorless fireplace alcohol from amazon for tea, soup, etc. Occasional oven.

Microwave for reheating.

You can also use hot water from the heater to reduce cooking times.

If you have a generator, you can go all electric but it is not practical on a small boat.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

This is one of my other low power usage go to cooking tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190705_181846.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	195370  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:42   #64

If you're talking about a small sailboat the best option is to use portable propane stove with a pressure cooker and then place it into an insulated container once it is up to temperature and let it sit there for a while. If you have a small generator you can use a small microwave. Refill the small propane container from a 20lb container with an adapter you can get from many stores like Harbor Freight. If the stove is a permanent installation you can connect it directly to the 20lb container but make sure you turn the valve off after every use. If yours is a larger boat I like magnetic burners as they don't heat up the cabin. They do require a high quality stainless pots and pans or cast iron however the non-magnetic 304 and 316 will not work. More expensive 400 series stainless will. I don't like cast iron on a boat because it is heavy and most importantly since I don't use it much it will usually rust which isn't harmful but some Cooks don't like it. If you are far from civilization or really cheap solar cookers work well in sunny climates. Do not even think about alcohol which is very dangerous or natural gas which is impossible to get in most of the world. Wood works well in frigid climate as it also heats the cabin and usually can be gotten for free Usher. I like to carry it in a dingy I'm telling that way I only have to fill the dinghy up when I cut the wood and get individual pieces as I need them without having bugs on the boat. If you have a diesel engine diesel maybe a way to go although I don't like it because it really heats the cabin up and it smells.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53   #65

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have tiny propane gas canisters (6lb) which means I've been looking for other methods of cooking.

I've ended up settling on a solar oven for baking (I love making bread), and then I use an electric kettle/induction stove top for other stuff. I have a 400AH lifepo4 bank and 460watts of solar.

Underway however, I use the propane. Easier and only gimbled thing on the boat and I want to save my power for navigating / autopilot if the windvane breaks

This is on a 36' boat btw, no generator

I need to replace the induction stove top though - I bought a cheap one off amazon and it didn't even last a year. Also thinking about picking up one of those electric wonder pot things!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:55   #66

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone 1 View Post
Grilling on the stern rail, solar ovans really work but require some attention, and I cold brew my coffee. if i need hot coffe ,I usually don't mind some heat in cabin. My Magma grillalso works well as a single burner for pans.

Yes, my Magma grill has a regular stove burner built into it, so it's very easy to keep heat out of the cabin and use the grill as a one burner propane stove.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:55   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

DOA Google search for thermos cooking pots. These are heavily insulated outer container that holds inner cooking pots. Make your meal on the stove top to boiling temperature and transfer the hot pot to the thermos outer pot. It will stay at cooking temperature for hours. Time on the stove, five minutes, cooking time, five hours.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20   #68

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Just saying a pressure cooker fits perfectly on top of an induction plate too
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:45   #69

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

I normally avoid personal criticisms on the web but you asked for it.
The system performance you describe defies the laws of physics, so I do not believe you
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 19:33   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvictorlucas View Post
If you're talking about a small sailboat the best option is to use portable propane stove with a pressure cooker and then place it into an insulated container once it is up to temperature and let it sit there for a while. If you have a small generator you can use a small microwave. Refill the small propane container from a 20lb container with an adapter you can get from many stores like Harbor Freight. If the stove is a permanent installation you can connect it directly to the 20lb container but make sure you turn the valve off after every use. If yours is a larger boat I like magnetic burners as they don't heat up the cabin. They do require a high quality stainless pots and pans or cast iron however the non-magnetic 304 and 316 will not work. More expensive 400 series stainless will. I don't like cast iron on a boat because it is heavy and most importantly since I don't use it much it will usually rust which isn't harmful but some Cooks don't like it. If you are far from civilization or really cheap solar cookers work well in sunny climates. Do not even think about alcohol which is very dangerous or natural gas which is impossible to get in most of the world. Wood works well in frigid climate as it also heats the cabin and usually can be gotten for free Usher. I like to carry it in a dingy I'm telling that way I only have to fill the dinghy up when I cut the wood and get individual pieces as I need them without having bugs on the boat. If you have a diesel engine diesel maybe a way to go although I don't like it because it really heats the cabin up and it smells.
Some seriously bad propane advice here.
Old 05-07-2019, 19:58   #71

I must be old fashion because I use a barbecue outside. No heat or cooking odors inside. With 2 tanks I only need to fill up about every 6 months. With a few accessories I cook steak, chicken, fish, vegetables, corn on the cob, you name it I can cook it on my propane barbecue.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 21:36   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With the right low power electric kitchen appliances, and judicial timings, a kitchen can be run on a 2k Honda generator if needed...

Seriously impressed with the new induction cooktops.
Old 05-07-2019, 22:10   #73

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

With a Wonderbag and a good insulated thermos a kitchen can be run off solar/battery power.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 22:21   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
With a Wonderbag and a good insulated thermos a kitchen can be run off solar/battery power.
For me, all these things are wonderful. As a person who is not a lover of stews and the like, I prefer to have my food as I would at home. So fried stuff, oven stuff etc... My Instant pot will prepare veg with colour and crunch, cook meats, rice, fish etc, and then finish under broiler or oven or bbq.

I dont really compromise on the kitchen equipment excepting to use low power consumption items.
Old 05-07-2019, 23:06   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

I endorse this. On my boat I have a Northern Lights 16kW generator but at over a gallon of diesel an hour I now only run it once a week for the washer/tumble drier and other heavy lifting current appliances, vacuuming at the same time, etc. I will invest in solar panels and bigger batteries when the money situation allows, but I bought a 2kW Predator generator from Harbor Freight for less than $500 and do all my cooking with that. I find that an electric ring and kettle with good planning can cook pretty much anything for two, but I am going to buy an Instant Pot and dual induction ring for far better cooking and efficiency. BTW when I have access to shore power I just use a 120v 13 amp cable, you have to be careful about not using more than about 1.5kW but you learn how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
With the right low power electric kitchen appliances, and judicial timings, a kitchen can be run on a 2k Honda generator if needed...

Seriously impressed with the new induction cooktops.
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking