Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2024, 09:57   #1

Anyone compared modern trolling motor to modern electric outboard separate battery’s

For example, a Haswing Protruar or Ventura to an electric outboard with separate battery like Torqeedo cruise 3,4 or 6 or epropulsion navy
There is a big difference in prices they all have seperate batteries.
Has anyone done this
What’s the advantages or disadvantages?
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 13:09   #2

Re: Anyone compared modern trolling motor to modern electric outboard separate batter

Not directly, but Haswing make a series of geared trolling motors ("Protruar G") that are significantly more efficient than their direct drive analogs, and are probably quite close to the epropulsion/torqueedo in terms of efficiency.

The one data point I have is the 1200w haswing Protruar G will move my 35ft 10 ton boat at 2.5 knots in calm water. Under identical conditions an el-cheapo 86-lbs thrust trolling motor (also approximately 1200w) gives 1.75 knots so the haswing is probably almost twice as efficient at converting electrons into forward motion....
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 08:57   #3
KTP

Re: Anyone compared modern trolling motor to modern electric outboard separate batter

I have been looking into electric outboards recently, closely at the Navy 3.0 and 6.0. There seems to be a redesign this year on the 6.0, where they made the motor much smaller (and shed 20 pounds) but the efficiency has dropped from 57% to 48%. I cannot find static thrust figures on the new Navy 6.0 2024 but the old 6.0 was listed at an impressive 279 pounds with the bigger prop. It spins at 1500 rpm where the 6.0 2024 spins at 1700 rpm.

If you go off static thrust, which is really the only figure I can readily find on trolling motors to compare, it is very hard to get anywhere close to 279 pounds of thrust. This figure is not far off the rough estimates I got at dock on our Pacific Seacraft 34 using a Thunderstruck inboard brushless motor at similar wattages (I never took it up to 6000 watts as it was starting to move our marina around the water lol, but at 3000 watts I was getting 180 pounds on the fish scale attached to the dock and untied boat)

I would love to have a bunch of figures to examine. We want to dump the gas outboard on our smaller Montgomery 17 and just use electric. This is after extensive testing with a Torqeedo 1103. That model has a listed static thrust of 70 pounds and consumes 1100 watts at WOT. Pretty decent and enough thrust for the 17 but no ability to use external batteries. I have four 22 pound Li-time group 24 batteries which I would place in the bow lockers, two on each side, giving me 5kWh at 48V if I can just find a suitable motor. The old Navy 6.0 was too heavy at 80 pounds but the new design is 64 pounds, which is about like a 6HP Tohatsu. Could get by with a Navy 3.0 but I like the idea of the 6.0 if I ever wanted to use it on our bigger sailboat and they are similar price.

Anyway, I will follow, as I am interested in the other options you might find with bigger trolling motors.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, motor, outboard