Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 09:17   #1

ASSISTANCE TOWARDS MY DREAM

Hi all! I have lived on land my whole life and want to change that by spending some time living aboard. Looking to get my own motor yacht at some point when I gain more knowledge and confidence.

Is there anyone that would rent out a bout for a few months/weeks/days? This would allow me to poke around a bit and get a feel for it. I am a working entrepreneur, clean, single and 43y/o.

Comments, Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks all!

Chris - Alberta
Dumb-Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 10:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: ASSISTANCE TOWARDS MY DREAM

Hi, Chris,

I supposed it does not hurt to ask, but asking to rent someone's boat after pointing out that you have little boating knowledge and experience is unlikely to get you where you want to go. The risk is too great for the boat owner.

Instead, I recommend doing some research and reading on how to develop some of that experience you want. One path is to take some boating courses and then renting (aka chartering) boats. Another path is to make some friends in a nearby marina.

The search function on the forum will help you find lots of discussions about how to get into boating.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:16   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

https://food52.com/blog/24442-best-airbnb-boat-rentals
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

If by poke about a bit you mean you want to drive a boat around then I doubt anyone will rent you a boat. Just like asking Hertz to rent you a car if you told them you had never driven a car.

If you just want to get the feel for what it's like to live on a boat in a small space then try renting a small camper for a couple of weeks. The experience will be quite similar.

If you want to get a feel for being on the water in a boat you will have to start out one way or another going with an experienced boater. Lots of companies charter (rent) boats with a captain on board. Generally the captain is more than happy to show you the ropes and teach you about operating the boat. However this is usually limited to a week or so due to the cost. Long term you will pretty much have to buy a boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:28   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Hi Chris, I am also a chris from Alberta. Just outside stony plain(west of edmonton)
So I know how hard it is to get any experience there. There are a few small lakes around where you can keep a small to midsize boat. We had a 26' sailboat in wabamun. It allows you to get some experience/confidence, but it is not quite the same as a liveaboard obviously.
The other thing we did that might work for you is a live and learn in Vancouver. We found a person that taught liveaboard (sailing, but I'm sure there are trawlers as well) It was a week long and my wife and I were the only clients aboard. It worked out similar in price to a charter but had the advantage of an instructor. We learnt a great amount, and it was a fun experience.
Good luck, and message me if there is any info I can help you with.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:19   #7

Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:33   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Hi Chris, Keep the dream alive! I also am from Canada, (Manitoba) and it is possible to pursue your dreams. Many friends and family thought that a prairie boy like me shouldn’t be sailing. Today, they all want to come on my adventures. 10 years ago, I decided to take some sailing courses out of St Thomas , US Virgin Islands and began an incredible journey.
- I started by chartering different Cats to learn and gain experience. I have chartered many different makes of cats and invite friends and family to share the costs.
-I am now looking to purchase a cat and I am bursting with excitement.
Good Luck and go for it !

Robert
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:35   #9

Chris:

Contact these people:

Boating Charters & Courses in British Columbia | Cooper Boating

If they cannot help you directly with a power boat, they can point you in the right direction.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb-Buoy View Post
Hi all! I have lived on land my whole life and want to change that by spending some time living aboard. Looking to get my own motor yacht at some point when I gain more knowledge and confidence.

Is there anyone that would rent out a bout for a few months/weeks/days? This would allow me to poke around a bit and get a feel for it. I am a working entrepreneur, clean, single and 43y/o.

Comments, Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks all!

Chris - Alberta
i can help,i have a 28ft yacht in the uk you can use in return for some help in the boat yard doing a haul out on my other boat.
just pay your flights and food and get here,call it a straight swap,days of labor for days on the boat ,you can live onboard for free in the meantime till the boatyard work is done
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:08   #11

I second the recommendation of Trentepieds, we live in Arizona, a long way from blue water and have been chartering from Cooper Boating for about five years. They run classes, can provide hands on training and are genuinely super people to deal with. Their boats are well maintained and well equipped and you have your choice of boats, power or sail, monohull or Cat. Moreover, they are in BC (three locations) that is IMHO, the best cruising grounds in the world. Boating Charters & Courses in British Columbia | Cooper Boating.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:34   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exctyengr View Post
I second the recommendation of Trentepieds, we live in Arizona, a long way from blue water and have been chartering from Cooper Boating for about five years. They run classes, can provide hands on training and are genuinely super people to deal with. Their boats are well maintained and well equipped and you have your choice of boats, power or sail, monohull or Cat. Moreover, they are in BC (three locations) that is IMHO, the best cruising grounds in the world. Boating Charters & Courses in British Columbia | Cooper Boating.
Wow, so nice to hear that Coopers is well received.
I remember doing a few Cruise and Learns and Teaching jobs for them when they first started up on Granville Island about 40 years ago.
I was previously with the now defunct Jib Set sailing school under the Burrard Street Bridge doing the same

Those were good times and I think, pre-gps, the courses were probably far more intensive in navigational studies.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Ask if someone will take you on as a paying or non paying crew member,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:50   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Cadence, isn't that what atoll sort of did? It would be a real adventure! foreign country and all....

Good luck with it, Chris.

Ann
Old 01-01-2020, 12:01   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@ Cadence, isn't that what atoll sort of did? It would be a real adventure! foreign country and all....

Good luck with it, Chris.

Ann
Ann, I have no idea what atoll did? It just seems like a way for the OP to get some experience. Sounds like, can I rent your car but I don't have a drivers license?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote