Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 17:35   #1

Other Boats Cruising Towards Panama ?

First of all I would like to introduce myself as I am new to this Forum. My name is Greg and I am a licensed Captain and Sportfish Owner. I will be cruising to Panama from Florida hopefully at the end of August as long as all work is done on my vessel. I am looking to see if anyone else is cruising that direction as well, it always helps having other vessels in the vicinity to help out if any difficulties should occur. We only do about 12kts down hill just so everyone knows I am not looking to make a speed record. Looking forward to hearing from anyone on here.
yachtmastergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 17:51   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum, Greg. Glad you're here.

Do you really think it's a good idea to travel from Florida to Panama at that time? Boy, I might take a little risk going across the hurricane box early or late in the season, but I sure wouldn't tempt fate by doing so right in the heart of the season.

Let's see if there are others who feel differently and would be interested in buddy-boating with you. If so, pick your window carefully and put the pedal to the metal.

TaoJones
Old 14-07-2009, 17:57   #3

Thanks for the reply TaoJones, those thoughts have definitly crossed my mind as well and are well taken into consideration. The trip will all depend on the window and as long as we can sneak on down through the Yucatan we should be alright. The other option will be to make the trip in February, but we would like to make it before the end of the year.
yachtmastergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 21:27   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Greg,
Welcome aboard! Hope you can sort out the proper season to head for Panama. The Pacific will be experience El Nino this year so will see a few more hurricanes forming. There are two headed East just now.
I know that isn't where you are nor where you'll be headed but I'd really watch your weather.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 02:49   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Your insurance will let you travel down there at that time of year? I think I need to switch to your carrier. Would you mind telling who they are?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 08:35   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Statistically in the Caribbean the early storms (T.S. & Hurricanes) form in the western end of the Caribbean at the beginning of the season - June-Aug. Then switch to the eastern end of the Caribbean from Aug to Nov. Then switch back to the western end from Nov. Look at the Atlantic Pilot Charts, Caribbean area is on page 3 of each monthly Pilot Chart and you will see that Jan-April are the statistically best months to transit the area. See: NGA: NGA Publications List - A.P.C.
However, unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn't consult our experts on weather and tends to whatever she feels like doing - sort of why she is called Mother Nature and not Father Nature.
If you are heading for the Pacific then you want to be through the Canal in March and ready to head west in April when the "weather window" opens.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 12:33   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Greg,
when ever you go, have fun and Godspeed
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 03:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FWIW:
Cruisers forced to leave anchorage in the free municipal anchorage area by the Las Brisas Hotel, in Panama City, writes mv “Panchita” (July 14/09) ...
More ➥ Blue Water Sailing

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:53   #9

Sounds like we will be passing each other in route. I'm bringing a boat up from Panama to NY, towards the end of August.

Good luck with your trip,

Barry
CaptBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 13:27   #10

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
FLORIDA TO PANAMA

I am in Key West and have sailed to Panama a number of times.
Watch the weather and decide which way you want to go, around the East End or the West End of Cuba. The East End is best for a sail to Panama, stopping in Barraqcoa.
All depends on where you are leaving Florida from.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 13:00   #11

Boat: Irwin 65 "Distant Drummer"
I will be looking to depart Key West around September the 8th for Panama, it all depends on the weather. I will be going around the west end of Cuba if it goes. Hopefully the weather will hold out till I get far enough south. If its crapy, then I'll be drinking in the Keys, unless the weather heads that way, then I'll be going North back to the Chesapeak Bay.
Distant Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:13   #12
NTD

Boat: Nautor Swan 46 MK I
I am planning on making the trip in November. I am heading for Hawaii and I was wondering about winter crossings in El Nino years.
NTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama