Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 08:17   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Recommendations for non-skid paint

Stepped into my new aluminum run-about this morning, and got a cut head and damned near got a concussion by sliding across the damp (foggy) smooth aluminum deck. What is your recommendation for the best self-applied non-skid surface? The bench is finished with pick-up truck bed liner, but I really don't want to pull it out of the water and pay for that. It hurt.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:23   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Recommendations for non-skid paint

I know Kiwigrip can be used on metal with an appropriate primer. Or you could adhere some type of non-skid matting for the areas you walk on. There's also the old-school option of paint and sand.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:12   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

+1 for Kiwigrip. We have it on the deck of our boat and in the dink
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I know Kiwigrip can be used on metal with an appropriate primer. Or you could adhere some type of non-skid matting for the areas you walk on. There's also the old-school option of paint and sand.
Don’t use sand .. you will create a monster

Use sugar, or other water soluble particles

Packaged non skid particles are the best
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:27   #5

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
.... There's also the old-school option of paint and sand.
Coconut shell and a rotary rasp gives a perfect antislip, choose a not to fine rasp. Paint of your choice, I mixed it into the top layer PU-Paint. Sand would be very heavy
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:42   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Stepped into my new aluminum run-about this morning, and got a cut head and damned near got a concussion by sliding across the damp (foggy) smooth aluminum deck. What is your recommendation for the best self-applied non-skid surface? The bench is finished with pick-up truck bed liner, but I really don't want to pull it out of the water and pay for that. It hurt.
We have painted our fiberglass deck over the years with a variety of paints with commercial antiskid compounds added in.

Currently we have a commercial two part polyurethane with Petit non-skid compound. We rolled it.

In your case you need to do proper prep and use a correct primer and paint for aluminum.

Two cautions:
1. use the recommended mixture because straight polyurethane is slick when wet.
2. Keep mixing the paint constantly to keep the anti skid thoroughly mixed in or it will be uneven and look poorly.
Old 16-02-2020, 22:41   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

I like Kiwi Grip, since even if you have two left hands it still turns out a professional finish.
Just make sure you tape up the area you wanted painted and put a radius in the corners. A coffee cup makes a nice radius drawn on the masking tape then cut out with a Stanley knife.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 23:25   #8

+1 for KiwiGrip. Used it for decks, cockpit floor and seats. With a little practice, the texture can be varied to your liking. We even took a DA sander to cured KiwiGrip just to knock it down just a little and really liked the results. Very easy and very versatile.
kchunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 06:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you all for great coaching on how-to. It looks like KiwiGrip is the way to go, and it does not cost much.
Old 17-02-2020, 08:58   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

What ever product you use, make sure you do a small 12inx12in test section first, or better yet test it on a piece of plywood. I used a marine epoxy non-skid pre-mixed product and found it so abrasive that I needed to mix it 50/50 with the manufacturers standard epoxy paint so that the final product would not be so rough on bare feet!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 09:12   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I used sand dusted on fresh first coat with a salt shaker before a final coat. The actual volume of sand is minimal. I probably only used about two salt shakers full for my 41', so weight is not an issue. Sand is free in Florida! As the paint wears away over time the sand is gone,- 'no "monster". Sand worked especially well for me because I had no pattern of non-skid molded into my deck and the outcome was very appealing. I had to practice with the shaker to get an even distribution and not heavy streaks.

The only negative,- my wife thought that it was too abrasive for lying on the deck in her swim suit. ...'oh well,- we laid out a cockpit cushion.
Old 17-02-2020, 09:13   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Very fine silver sand plus a hard paint, depending on substrate, gives very good grip but can be to aggressive to walk on with bare feet and hard on oilskin knees. Cocanut fiber or beeads works well and is less agressive. Comercial deck paints are good but really expensive and don't work any better than your own mix. Trick is to put down a coat of paint then sprinkle the antislip with a sugar shaker then ad a couple more layers of paint. Each layer tones down the none skid.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 09:22   #13

getting any paint to stick to aluminum is iffy. prep and primer essential. or maybe mats are better . . .
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 09:54   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fortunately the (very slick) aluminum deck in the boat is already painted with the manufacturuer's (very slick) primer and paint, making a hard (according to my head) and slick (very slick) surface. It's matte as is, and I suspect it will take paint with a light sanding.

This has been a very informative thread. Thank you for your suggestions and your wisdom. I know a whole lot more about the topic now.
Old 17-02-2020, 10:12   #15

Boat: C&C 40

Another, less costly, is Rustolium Restore 10X. I put it on the deck of our aluminum boat and it works great. Light sand with 80 grit works well.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, paint