Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:19   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Recommendations: non-skid paint

Looking for opinions on non-skid paint that I can roll on. My last sailboat I just bought whatever was at west marine. This time I'm doing more research.

What do you recommend and why?

My boat is 30'
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Recommendations: non-skid paint

I have painted with International twice. Easy to apply and gives decent grip. I would add some (extra) non-skid compound in crucial areas though (e.g. where you hike out or walk on very wet and angled deck). You can buy special sand in small bags. Ask the surfing crowd.

Always think of the other side of the equation too: the shoes, boots and feet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:27   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Use Griptex or Softsand and sprinkle it on wet paint instead of mixing it through. Google these and don't forget to search for them on Youtube as well, where excellent videos are available.

I would go for Softsand.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:42   #4

Boat: F&C 44

I also have used Interlux Interdeck with good results, hard to keep clean though. A friend used Kiwigrip with good results, looks better than a sand type non skid but also hard to clean. No surprise that an aggressive non-skid will hold the dirt. If you don't need an aggressive non-skid then a final coat of plain gloss or semi gloss will help in keeping the decks cleaner.

Has anybody tried this? Sprinkle coarse salt on the final coat, lightly sand to expose the salt crystals then give a good wash with water. The salt dissolves leaving paint bumps that provide the non-skid. Might wear pretty quick though depending on the type of paint used.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:50   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We're using a product called acrylmeric sportcote. It is rubbery, water based paint, and provides excellent non-skid. It is about 8 yrs. old, now, and it is still excellent. The downside is that is is subject to mudstain, and requires serious scrubbing to clean. Do not apply on a day when the night will be dewy, it will run.

Ann
Old 08-03-2016, 19:33   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Kiwigrip is a great choice. Easy to apply, very long lasting, and not abrasive to skin or foul wx gear.

Bear with me: My touch screen device's auto-correct rarely is; but at least the text is tiny...
Old 08-03-2016, 19:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

As barnakiel said: think of the wear on shoe soles and foot bottoms. I never have liked the result with premixed non skid.
With sand you can find a grit that gives good traction yet doesn't wear out your shoes or knees. Very coarse sand is a bloody mess if you trip. I use whatever deck paint I am currently using. I tape areas that don't need it and about a 3" border. I paint, sprinkle sand, sweep after dry and a 2nd coat. It lasts years. Usually I repaint a couple times before more sand or stripping. I have about 1500 sq ft of non skidded decks and don't find the sand method a chore.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 22:39   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I just used Silica Sand, & some Pettit one part polyurethane, as did the friends who recommended this non-skid method.
Just make sure that you do your cleaning, & prep work, including taped borders, etc. Roll on a coat of paint, tipping where appropriate, & sprinkle on the sand while it's wet. And once things dry, brush off the loose sand, & roll on a couple more coats.

The reason I specifiy Silica Sand (as was passed on to me) is that there's No IRON in it. So that you won't get any rust streaks in your finish later on, as you would using more common types of sand.
And a bag or three of it, at a Builder's supply is dirt cheap, no pun intended.

But it makes for great non-skid. And honestly, you're better off with decks which are a bit "too sticky" than the other way around. So err on the coarse side. I mean, obviosly it's a safety thing.

The trick to preserving the seat in your foulies, is to slip a pair of heavier weight shorts overtop of your pants. And they wind up taking the wear from the decks, in additon to giving you a few easy to access pants pockets.
Just a pair of drawsrring type, that also has elastic in the waist works. And they're cheap. Plus, they have a big range of adjustability, for when you're varying how many layers you have on under your foulies. Unlike ones which zip up, & require a belt.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:39   #9

Boat: Sandibar 35

I used Kiwigrip last year. It's very efficient, but as others pointed out, difficult to clean. If you go that route, pay attention to application temperature. I have parts flaking off, probably from using it in too cold weather and condensation. Need to reapply here and there this spring. The actual application is a breeze, so this extra work is not a big problem.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:12   #10

Kiwi grip again. Best thing out of a can. Their roller makes it stand up too high for my taste. I wanted small, low peaks and I didn't want to spend the $$$ for Kiwi grip.

So, I used a more durable, less expensive paint (2 part linear polyurethane that was used on the rest of the boat) and mixed my own "kiwigrip" by adding enough cabosil.

I then used a foam roller to get tiny, tiny peaks in the paint on application.

Superior to kiwigrip in every way... durability, final product and price.

Would not go with sand, as removing it down the line is a nightmare.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:30   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Recommendations: non-skid paint

Got to know a lovely German couple in Agua Dulce over a couple of winters back in the 90's.. he used little bits of gravel.. claimed excellent anti slip and a great incentive for the 1 hand for the boat and the other hand for ones self.. hurt like hell if you fell on it..
He also believed "A Man is not a Man.. without a Knife'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:36   #12

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Silica sand crushes and shatters. Griptex is plastic, comes in three grits, apply with spray gun, a bit lower pressure to get uniform non-skid pattern. With Awlgrip, a small pressure washer and a bit of deck brush with soap keep it clean.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:20   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
Silica sand crushes and shatters. Griptex is plastic, comes in three grits, apply with spray gun, a bit lower pressure to get uniform non-skid pattern. With Awlgrip, a small pressure washer and a bit of deck brush with soap keep it clean.

What are you doing on deck that's crushing silica sand; driving a steam roller?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 17:48   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post

This.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 18:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Applied KiwiGrip last year using a tight foam roller as I wanted not too rough a surface. Looked great, tough as nails and terrific anti-skid properties. After two weeks it looks 20 years old. It's filthy and extremely difficult to clean.
I'm going to paint over it soon with something ....... anything else.

Tags
men, paint