Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 13:07   #1

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Non-skid recommendations

We are applying a product called Honey Teak (http://www.signaturefinish.com/index...pic=Honey+Teak) to our teak swim platform. We wish to make it non-skid since the end result will have the appearance of gloss varnish. Our idea is to mix into the final coat some kind of non-skid mixture. It should have a clear color. Any suggestions?
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:17   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Non-skid recommendations

Pete, a non-skid additive is usually sand or grit of one kind or another. Not something that has a glossy look to it at all, no matter what you use it wil look like "sand" or bumpy grit. Glossy and shiny usually aren't compatible with not skidding.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:21   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

I have heard of crushed walnut shells being used as a non-skid for companionway ladders. They blend in with the teak while adding non-skid quality.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:24   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Griptex non-skid additive by the makers of Awlgrip will finish out clearer than anything else I know of. It comes in fine, medium, and coarse. I like medium and fine mixed. It is superior to any other non-skid additive I know of, the coating actually soaks into the particles instead of just encapsulating it. This makes it bond much better and hence last longer. However, I still dont like the look of a non-skid varnished teak. It is also uncomfortable to climb around on in a swim suit. The perfect material for a swim step, providing excellent traction without being "gritty" and looking nice as well in my opinion? Unvarnished teak. So I would just leave it bare and keep it clean and well maintained. Same as a deck. God forbid you varnish a teak deck, especially with Honey Teak.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Griptex non-skid additive by the makers of Awlgrip will finish out clearer than anything else I know of. It comes in fine, medium, and coarse. I like medium and fine mixed. It is superior to any other non-skid additive I know of, the coating actually soaks into the particles instead of just encapsulating it. This makes it bond much better and hence last longer. However, I still dont like the look of a non-skid varnished teak. It is also uncomfortable to climb around on in a swim suit. The perfect material for a swim step, providing excellent traction without being "gritty" and looking nice as well in my opinion? Unvarnished teak. So I would just leave it bare and keep it clean and well maintained. Same as a deck. God forbid you varnish a teak deck, especially with Honey Teak.
Thanks. We like the nice freshly sanded look of teak. In my experience it's hard to keep it that way if left bare. What kind of sealer will maintain the sanded teak look and require a minimum of maintenance?
Pete
Old 01-01-2012, 13:50   #6

For my non-skid I used glass beads. The type used for bead blasting. The way I applied it was to paint the deck, then while the paint was wet sprinkle the glass beads over it. Then when dry, blow off excess then repaint.

It's very effective.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:51   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks. We like the nice freshly sanded look of teak. In my experience it's hard to keep it that way if left bare. What kind of sealer will maintain the sanded teak look and require a minimum of maintenance?
Pete
That simply does not exist.

I would go for grey and use salt water.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:55   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Pete
Do some searches on this forum. You will find that while many products promise what you are looking for, none really deliver. At least not without their individual drawbacks. Like all things boat, it's a compromise which depends on your personal priorities. Personally, I think regular cleaning combined with occasional re-bunging and sanding is the best answer. But that's just me. Other's swear by oil or Teaka or Teak Guard. Best thing is to try some of these different approaches and see what appeals to you most. Many product claims are misleading at best, so try to find product recommendations from people with some experience. Others on this forum will chime in I'm sure. I'm not comfortable recommending a product for this application myself, as I've yet to see one which provided results I was really impressed with. Lots of stuff that SOUNDS good though.

TeakGuard Teak Protectant - Teak Finish and Restoration Superior to Teak Oil - MarineStore.com
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:57   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

teak is the best nonskid,naturally. why screw it up by adding sometghing to it to make it not so. you donot like teak--remove it and get plastic. plastic will make you fall into sea.
teak sans weird treatments wont let you fall into sea.
adding coatings to teak will make it like plastic. buy plastic.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 14:00   #10

Boat: 33ft sloop

As soon as you propose something with oil, forget about any anti-skid.
There is no such product that prevents slipping - and if, it wears away quite quickly. Teak should remain teak as Jedi says. Otherwise you could any windywood for the same effect.
Otherwise keep your deck in its original state and add either silversand or any other quartz product.
The only ones who wouldn't like it are your wetsuits.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 15:54   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pete, the natural anti-skid quality of teak comes from a high silica content which makes for very hard grain ridges, alternating with softer "lines" that have eroded out between the ridges. If you fill the ridges and make it smooth--it becomes slick. If you don't fill them, dirt gets in and it goes gray and dirty. That's just normal for teak as it ages. You can keep much of the color by simply cleaning it with gentle cleaners and using teak oil or some other oil that doesn't encourage crud to grow, like lemon oil, as needed. Lemon oil, citrus oil of any kind, way cheaper than real teak or cedar oils.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 15:58   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

new and UNTREATED teak decking and swim steps are best nonskid known in life. why make 'em slipppery with a "protectant" that does no good. isnt smart nor practical.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49   #13

I've seen positive comments for Semco and TeakGuard. Can anyone who has used both comment on the pros and cons of each? Thanks
Pete
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54   #14

Boat: 33ft sloop

Seawater - the best product there is for teak.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:58   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Seawater - the best product there is for teak.
Too cheap, not sold by my outrageously expensive chandlery and doesn't come packaged with a nice shiny label either so this must be a real bad product

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote