Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 08:17   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Recommendations for Non Skid Decking

My 1991 Catalina 42's deck is in need of a non-skid upgrade and I was hoping for a recommendation of what to use. The standard molded in non-skid has become useless, and my wife, myself, and our poor dogs often "bite the deck" due to how slick the decking has become. The frequent rain and general soggy conditions we experience in Puget Sound just compound the problem. Any advice on a product or coating to use? Thanks in advance.
Old 22-06-2012, 13:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Recommendations for non-skid decking

Joe,

You can buy molds of the non-skid you had I know from Mass Epoxy, and I am sure from other suppliers. Flex-Mold Non Skid Repair System - MAS Epoxies - Easy Epoxy Resin & Adhesives. Marine Epoxy for Boat Repair & Boat Building; Automotive Epoxy; Epoxy for Woodworking, Signs, Surfboards, Other. New: Eco-Friendly Acetone Replacement, Non-Skid Repair The other option is to sand off what's left and apply sand suspended in a two part epoxy paint (or buy non-skid paint which is pretty much the same thing). I have had a lot of luck either way.

The molded is nicer to walk on barefoot since it is less aggressive than the sand, but it is handed to apply, and harder to keep in good repair as you have noticed.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:02   #3

I just painted my deck with Interlux Interdeck. It's one part polyurethane paint with granules in it. The granules seem to have neutral bouyancy in the paint so they don't sink to the bottom. Clever eh?

The final finish is nice and grippy to walk on but doesn't scrape you up. As for application it couldn't have been easier - light sand, mask, and paint.

I think the drawback will be durability - it looks like in really high traffic areas (ie, the cockpit) it'll need re-doing every year or two.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:05   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Awlgrip with Awlgrip fine non-skid. It lasts many years.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:26   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I second the interlux beads. Ive painted a catamaran and a trawler with this and it is very user friendly, looks good, has a matte like look to it,and will not rip up your skin like the sand or pattern nonskid will. And I does have a grippy feel, like rubber! Cool stuff.

But one question. Is your non skid worn down? Could your nonskid of gotten contaminated by some chemical that is causing it to bead water when wet? Try wiping it down with denatured alcohol to remove any wax that may of found it's way on your nonskid. Also if you are using a boat wash soap with wax in it for your smooth surfaces it may be getting on your nonskid. I like to wash with Murphys oil soap, it wont leave a residue, strip any expensive wax job you have on your fiberglass, and is safe for all surfaces ( fabric, wood, varnish, fiberglass ) i dont work for them, just love the stuff. Just a thought.
Good luck
Ocean Girl
Old 22-06-2012, 15:54   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Here's what we did with both of our boats and we have been very satisfied with the results. The decks are truly non skid, and the coating holds up under anything we throw at it. And it's very easy to clean, unlike some other products. Chuck
Voyages of Sea Trek: Transforming The Non Skid Decks

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 16:41   #7

Have you looked at kiwi grip?

I believe its applied to my deck . . . not sure as this was a PO job. However, from the descriptions of the product, I would have to say this is the product on my boat, 1980 Hunter 36. It has held up amazingly over the 6 yrs I've had the boat. I will get this product when/if I ever redo the antiskid.

Its applied w/a texture roller to give the surface a stippled look. That is the 'nonskid'. It hasn't worn away yet.

jmho
buzzzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 16:45   #8

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

Take a look of Spantex (Spantex - by Tex Enterprises, Inc.) . This is a liquid Hypalon synthetic rubber There are actually a few products Fill-Tex, Roll-Tex and Color coat which you apply together to accomplish the right surface structure and color. The result is very tough nonskid layer with a perfect resistance to UV and water. In Washington State you can buy it at McLendon Hardware Company. I have this on the deck of my boat. The only maintenance is to put a new coat every 4-5 years which vulcanize itself to the previous coats
T.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 16:47   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Another vote for Kiwi Grip.
Our cockpit area had a rubber sheet with nonskid surface which had gone bad.
It was a bear to remove, but after using one of those vibrating blades, we applied Kiwigrip. It matched the rest of the original nonskid on the boat's decks (and I suspect is Kiwi Grip).

Another benefit, it's water cleanup. I was even able to save the roller for later touchups if necessary.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 07:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBink
My 1991 Catalina 42's deck is in need of a non-skid upgrade and I was hoping for a recommendation of what to use. The standard molded in non-skid has become useless, and my wife, myself, and our poor dogs often "bite the deck" due to how slick the decking has become. The frequent rain and general soggy conditions we experience in Puget Sound just compound the problem. Any advice on a product or coating to use? Thanks in advance.
Hi Joe,

I am refitting my Coronado 41 which had the same issues plus some soft spots on the deck. I repaired the soft spots and then had the deck covered with NuTeak. It is not cheap luckily my son-in-law is a distributor. It has awesome nonskid properties and looks great. It does get hot on bare feet in the sun but that is a trade off I can live with.

Ed
graydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 08:19   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There are many threads here you can search on nonskid here but it might take a while to sift through. I use the same method as David M. I use Awlgrip LPU with a Cabosil mixture to a consistency of pancake batter, then stpple roll it. Lasts for years.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 08:51   #12

On a nice boat like the Cat 42, I would opt for one of the interlux options.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 09:11   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Get a pro to spray Griptex in Awlgrip. Use Griptex Fine and Griptex Coarse mixed. For the ultimate in durability spray Griptex in gelcoat. Griptex is made by US Paints, makers of Awlgrip, and says "Awlgrip" across the top of the can. Probably why many here are calling it Awlgrip nonskid. Failing getting a pro, use the sprinkle on technique with a flour sifter. This wastes a lot of expensive Griptex but results in a very nice skid. Stippling methods result in visible roller lap marks. Practice on something.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 15:07   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Stippling methods result in visible roller lap marks. Practice on something.
Not my jobs. But it does take finesse and a very light touch. You're right...practice makes perfect.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 16:45   #15

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Tape off the borders of the area you want non-skid, rough sand the area-60grit or so, apply a coat of west system 105/207 clear epoxy, cover the area with ground up walnut shells, course ground coffee or sand if you prefer. Let the glue go off and vacume up what doesnt stick, spray paint what ever color you want or put on a thinned coat of epoxy. Walnut shells are the best - the color of teak - looks great, lasts long, cheap, easy to do. Do a test on a piece of plywood to get the hang of it before you go at it.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote