Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 15:25   #16

Re: Overlooked or Obscure Tasks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
One might want to check the O-rings on the thru deck fittings...specifically, the ones for fuel and fresh water. If rotted and not water tight the consequences could be dire if leaking over a period of time. Also, if not lubricated they still could leak.
Been thinking about doing this for weeks! But never when I'm actually in the position to do it!

Going to get to it today.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 15:34   #17

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
good topic . Check every three to six months that your rigging screws and bolts are turning free. Dont do like me and forget. When we recently replaced our rigging half of all the bottle and rigging screws were seized and took a lot of time and effort to free them. The rigger had to use a metal cutter to remove our forebeam support it was seized so badly. Due to the effort of taking three of these units off they were damaged to the point where we decided to replace them rather than take a chance they had been structually compromised.
Making sure they turned and a little bit of lubrication would have saved me a heap of money and time. Used to do it on our old boat but just plain forgot when we bought Sunshine.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Lagoon 410
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 15:53   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Ok, I asked for it and the flood gates opened. Soooo.. many things that I could , should, would do, but have not. I've done some maintenance up the mast, but not had it down. I have not cleaned my diesel tanks since I replaced them 15 years ago. I last dropped my rudder for maintenance in 2005. I did the galley sink thing,- 'sort of welded it into a "unibody". No hangers or disconnect surprises. 'no decarbonizing. I'm updated with the steering checks, but not good with the hidden hose runs. 'did the chain plates and back-up plates.

From what I've read so far I would have to assign myself a C- grade. 'not too good.

...but keep them comming!
Old 26-05-2016, 18:14   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

All hoses done, steering cables just replaced deck o rings inspected, float switches good
My two big ones were already mentioned : clean the fuel tanks and glass the anchor locker

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-05-2016, 18:19   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

How about belly button lint and toenail clipping?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 18:53   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Geeze, reading this thread is inducing a panic attack in me. Apparently I don't/haven't done way too much. By now I'm amazed my little home is still floating

I was just going add grease ... gotta grease the windvane, and service the windlass (manual), but as I say, now I don't dare leave the dock
Old 26-05-2016, 19:05   #22

1 ) Pulling chainplates to inspect for crevice corrosion

2) Removing deck fittings to replace caulking (almost nobody does this hence so many older boats with water in deck issues)

3) remarking chain

4) spraying windlass case to stop corrosion

5) pulling rudder to check welds on webbing/shaft

6) check sheaves on mainsheet traveler- replace balls in traveler car
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 04:47   #23

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Lifelines. The screws at my stanchion bases seem to have a mind of their own and prefer to be loose. Particularly with vinyl covered lines you have to be on the lookout for corrosion. Swages. Tension.

They're not called " lifelines" for nothing.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 06:32   #24

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshawdvm View Post
[...]steering cables just replaced[...]
I've neglected that one way too long. I just finished replacing the cables and chain. The cables didn't show any sign of wear, but as it turned out, the chain was a steering failure waiting to happen!
Old 28-05-2016, 06:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Speaking of o-rings....

"Back in the day", attentive fuel dock hands would give you a new 25 cent o-ring when you fueled more than a few gallons. They also did windshields

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:18   #26

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

As always, good info being shared all around here. Four things on my list: Check the fuel line between the tank and the engine, especially in those hard-to-get-too areas. Check Galley hoses for dry rot if one uses propane or alcohol supplied from a tank stored elsewhere.

Since it has not been mentioned by anyone yet....Electrical systems. Check all of your electrical connections for electrical tightness at least once a year (Especially your shore power receptacle...watertight seal, signs of overheating, etc.) When I owned my boats in the States I would typically do this after the first freeze of the winter season when electrical connectors (screws and hardware) would contract due to the low temps. Check everything! Cabin lights, pump connections, Gen-Set connections, switchboards and switch panels, watermakers, everything. Here in the Red Sea we lose a few boats every year to electrical fires which start either in the galley, or in cabin lighting circuits.

And finally, and my least favorite task, inventory of spare parts and tools onboard. I've always been amazed at how fast those little spares get used up over time and don't get replaced, and how tools seem to migrate to the trunk of the car or a friend's boat. Engine parts, toilet parts, hoses, pumps, float switches, fuses, wire, crimp terminals, socks and underwear, etc.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:41   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
....................... Since it has not been mentioned by anyone yet....Electrical systems. Check all of your electrical connections for electrical tightness at least once a year (Especially your shore power receptacle...watertight seal, signs of overheating, etc.) ..................
My oversight with this one almost cost me dearly just last month. We've been spending some time at a dock with maintenance and repairs. I've been using one 30amp shore power cord that I split at my onboard fitting for two circuits. When I engaged the "splitter" I noticed that an edge of the trunk insulated cord had pulled slightly free of the juncture leaving a place for possible water entry. I used some of that strong "rescue" tape to seal the opening and checked it for continuity. During use I felt the piece for any sign of overheating and eventually became complacent with it. A couple weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be an area of dirt that had collected under the cord. When I move the cord to wipe it clean sparks shot from the splitter. What first appeared to be dirt was a scorched area!

My mistake, of course, was to accepted the deformity of my cord as a minor flaw. There no excuse for me. It's not wise to accept any irregularity with a shore power cord.

Thanks, Teknishn, your advice is well taken!
Old 28-05-2016, 08:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post

And finally, and my least favorite task, inventory of spare parts and tools onboard. I've always been amazed at how fast those little spares get used up over time and don't get replaced, and how tools seem to migrate to the trunk of the car or a friend's boat. Engine parts, toilet parts, hoses, pumps, float switches, fuses, wire, crimp terminals, socks and underwear, etc.
Before I got a nice set of captive sockets in a handy briefcase style holder, I depended on my trusty 1970s Sears set. One day I looked into the Sears set and the ratchet was gone!!! Besides the "family heirloom" issues related to the longevity of said tool, I actually needed two ratchets that day for some work. I was "in a tizzie!"

Of course, I blamed my son who'd recently bought a motor scooter. Even though I'd given him his own complete set, he seemed to always be losing things and borrowing mine.

A few months later, out on a cruise with our local group, one of the guys came over and handed me the ratchet!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 09:11   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Im going to print this thread to make a ckeck list for our new to us boat.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 09:12   #30

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Hudson Force, there is NEVER a reason to accept an electrical irregularity of any kind on a boat. Electricity is one of your best friends at sea, but is an unforgiving b#tch at the same time when things ain't right.

Now, you found a problem with you shore power cable. What was the cause of the failure? Age of the cable? Or is something onboard drawing more current than normal (i.e. aging fridge or Chiller compressor, hot water heater element on all the time, radiator heat systems, etc.). Loose wire between the receptacle and you switchboard or switch panel. Turn on everything on your boat and check your amperage on each phase. Make sure that your shore power cable is rated for that amperage and maybe 20% more just to be on the safe side.

And to Stu Jackson....I know that feeling of losing one of those "Old School" Craftsmen tools (Still have the set my father gave me when I bought my first car back in Lousiana in 1975....also have his 7-inch circular saw with the all steel casing. Man, they just don't make tools like that anymore.)
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote