Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 04:14   #1

Boat: searching...
Which Software to Organize Boat Tasks ?

Hi,

what kind of Software do you use to organize all the small and bigger tasks on your boat? I mean especially Maintenance, Inventory, storage, budgets and so one.

Do you use a special kind of Software or is it done in excel sheets? Any tips for a nice tool? (Windows or Mac)

Thanks Marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:06   #2

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I don't use software I use a hammer

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:28   #3

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
MS Project or OmniPlan on a MAC - you can great tasks with timelines, dependencies...if your projects need real project management.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:35   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Marco, We try to keep things simple and we do Inventory on a Word Document and keep Maintenance and other things on an Excel spread sheet. Since everyone has different ways of doing things and maintenance schedules you can customize these to however you like. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:40   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
"The Captain" software has a section for maintenace and inventory.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:41   #6

Software? How about a yellow notepad or a Levenger or index card. No electricity, no boot up and NO CRASHES! I tried using a computer but, it seemed like a waste of time and was inconvient. A note pad or Levenger/ index card is much easier and it's always out in the open and makes for a better reminder for todo lists IMO. I use the computer mostly to check email (along with a blackberry), check buoy data, weather forecasts. I do put some info on the computer like specs and/or info I may come across when online. But, that is usually in a simple notepad starting with the the title "BOAT" followed by something like filters, chain marks, etc... But, most of this info is usually on paper somewhere on board already and is just for backup info.
Old 22-10-2010, 08:07   #7
cruiser

For the last 8 years I've been using a simple database on my phone (HanDBase from DDH Software). It runs on many different phones including the iPhone. It will backup the data in a normal spreadsheet format on both Macs and PCs.

I keep 7 databases on the phone:
- Projects: my to-do list of projects I'd like to complete
- Maintenance: list of different items by date or hours
- Captain's Log: list of everything I do on the boat or places where I move the boat
- Parts: every part name, model, serial numbers, etc.
- Fuel Log: every drop of fuel I've purchased in the last 8 years
- Engine Checks: recordings of various measurements during engine room checks
- Inventory: location and amounts of inventoried items

The databases are simple to create and allow you to store the things that are meaningful to you. It takes a couple of days of playing with it to set it all up. If you find something you'd like to add after using it (manufacture phone number for example), it can be added later. It's quite capable. And as a real database, it can search/find, sort, etc. I think it cost something like $30 for the iPhone and Mac version.

It has proven to be invaluable time and time again. It is very nice to have it all with me on my phone. That way when I'm hanging around a Wal-Mart, I can look at my Projects database and see if there's anything I need. When we were in Salem, MA and the marine store had slashed prices on zincs, I had the exact model hull zinc I used and was able to pick 2 up at 20% the normal cost.

It's also nice when planning boat movements. I can look up to see where we were 5 years ago and what we did then and what we experienced (were there crab pots in that anchorage in the spring or fall?).

I use it almost every day on the boat.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 17:45   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFish View Post
MS Project or OmniPlan on a MAC - you can great tasks with timelines, dependencies...if your projects need real project management.
That's a guaranteed recipe for getting depressed!
Old 23-10-2010, 18:11   #9

I have an excel spread sheet with tabs:

One for each year's fall and then spring projects. On that sheet I identify each project, list the materials or parts involved and an estimate of the time needed. I some times note where I purchased the material and the actual cost.

Since I don't complete yr X for year X+1 I copy Yr X to a new tab, rename it and delete all the done items and this is the beginning of yr X+1

I also have tabs for:

serial #s of everything on the boat

Equipment List (yr installed) I even keep items grayed out when they are removed

Stats: all the measurements numbers including sail measurements, hull measurements, tankage etc

Maintenance Log: here I record engine maintenance dates, hrs what was done, other repairs are noted, costs etc. At the top of the log it computes the next oil change

I start tabs for various things such as Electrics where I have formulas for calculating wire size and the size and length of all the primary wires

Circuits where each one is identified and the amp draw calculated.

Lists of things like solvents or fuses or batteries or stores of any sort... all on separate tabs.

Basically the spread sheet contains the entire work environment and "history" of my work on the boat, plus information I need to know. Any new area of interest can be set up a new tab... such as an insurance claim... or a cruise

Excel works - it's your friend.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 19:31   #10

I go with mbianka, everything is in hard copy. Use a stencil tape to put the next hr change beside the various hr meters. Hard copy in the eng rm for all maintance and location of all parts. A consummables quantity list for reprovisioning, and 11 yrs of documented repairs. No batteries required. KISS
Ki
Old 23-10-2010, 21:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Boat Finances - Quickbooks Pro - Every penny spent for the last 4 years coded and categorized as if the boat were a business

Maintenance - Excel

Provisioning, crew manifests, and just about anything else is also in excel.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote