Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 17:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Overlooked or Obscure Tasks

I was involved in an often overlooked job today and it made me wonder what cruisers would list as jobs that can be important, but are often ignored or overlooked. What's the maintenance "can of worms" that you opened and found to be a valuable? I would enjoy reading the list.

Mine: I wanted to do some painting on my bow today so I had pulled my bow over the dock and hung a bright orange life jacket on my anchor for the safety of those that walk the dock with their cell phones. Too much time passed before I was ready to begin and the temperatures were too high for my best painting. Since my bow was over the dock I decided to look at my rodes.

I pulled out 200' of chain and 300' for nylon rode that follows a separate 30' of chain. My chain was in good shape, but a little surface corrosion on the center of three shots. I brushed a light oil on the chain. I also found three "meathooks" of some bits of hardened epoxy that had dripped onto my nylon rode from another project. I was able to remove these with just a little remaining smooth area that doesn't appear to be a risk to the line.

I added some new markers about 12' from the bitter ends of both rodes that are attached inside the locker. I keep the end of the chain tied with line so I can cut it in some unforseen (hard to imagine) emergency.

Inside the empty anchor locker I found some old flaking paint that I brushed down and vacuumed out along with some collection of debris that ends up sifting to the bottom no matter how well I believe that I have rinsed the chain. Finally, I cleaned out the limber hole at the bottom of the locker.

So, this was my task that I don't regularly schedule. It's good to keep an eye on this, but I don't often think of it. What do you feel good about taking care of that just doesn't come up that often?
Old 25-05-2016, 17:48   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Overlooked or Obscure Tasks

I've got a few of those to do! High on my list is to glass the bottom of the chain locker on my morgan OI 41 is open to the bilge, typical of 70's era boats! it needs a floor glassed in and an overboard drain installed!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 03:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

pccm, You seem pretty clear that this need to glass in the floor of your anchor locker and open a drain to the exterior is an important need. The task I described above is on my '73 Morgan OI with the drain to the bilge that I'm quite comfortable with and has never caused me any problems.

I think my lack of concern and problem might be due to keeping my 300' of nylon rode under my far more frequently used chain rode. This results in a massive filtration system that keeps little from actually reaching my bilge. I also rinse my chain very well when raising my anchor and most of the water is lost over the roller and the chain gypsy.

When I completed this task that I described above the blocked drain was dry. Although your plan won't be on my list, I can see with a particular set of ground tackle and usage, how this might be important.
Old 26-05-2016, 05:58   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

One might want to check the O-rings on the thru deck fittings...specifically, the ones for fuel and fresh water. If rotted and not water tight the consequences could be dire if leaking over a period of time. Also, if not lubricated they still could leak.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 06:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

O-rings at tank fills! That's a good one. I have not looked at these in years!
Old 26-05-2016, 06:49   #6

Hudson Force, thanks for the positive feedback...there seems so little of it on CF these days.
Old 26-05-2016, 07:17   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

E.g.

- periodic complete cleaning of the diesel tank,
- periodic engine de-carbonizing,
- unstepping the mast and full mast checkout on the dry,
- replacing all rigging mast backing plates,
- dropping the rudder and inspecting the rudder shaft/bearings,

Plenty of things many ignorant/lazy sailors never do. Just look at most common failures at sea.

Touch wood.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:04   #8

I would add to the rudder checks - grease the steering gear blocks and inspect and maintain steering cables. That is, check for broken wires and properly tension steering cables.
Old 26-05-2016, 09:18   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

toilet seat--those plastic doodadds that keep the frikkin round cyclone flyer on its tracks.. they break. oops...(manual head more than 15 yrs in age).....
all hose clamps and welds on water tankages and lines......
checking the automatic flapper switch for bilge pumps
checking the connections for bilge pumps
check hose clamps on the pss seal..ha ha ha
and check the hose clamps on all thru hulls and seacock attached items..everything.
integrity of bilge pump outflow hose..we had one crack on opb in gom--make sure pump actually pumps overboard
and how often do most of you check the seizing wire on your anchors???? shackles??? how about the integrity of halyards and sheets, especially at affixment points, and internal chainplates?? might wanna check your turnbuckles and threaded portions of your rig.
run a nylon stocking up and down your rigging cables??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My chain locker drains into the bilge, and I want to keep that, very little water comes in with the chain, but every now and again I'm taking water over the bow, but then I don't have a dripless shaft seal.

How do you periodically de-carbonize an engine? Only way I know to is to pull the head, something people used to do on two strokes, but I never did, I really don't understand the need.
I know some use sea foam etc., but isn't that washing the carbon off the head and piston crown and into the cylinder? Carbon is very abrasive
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 11:32   #11

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

I check the winch operation, the fluid levels, and smell it for any burnt smell. the smell. If used a lot, its always good to clean out the chain locker and then check the winch bolts. I also take the capstan off and check the guts of it. Mine is electric and a maxwell. The last time i did check inside i had some weeds in it.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 12:06   #12

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Fluid levels, battery, oil, water, clutch, etc.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 12:55   #13

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

The brass bib on the galley sink corrodes,drops the hose below wl and voila!
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 14:15   #14

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My chain locker drains into the bilge, and I want to keep that, very little water comes in with the chain, but every now and again I'm taking water over the bow, but then I don't have a dripless shaft seal.

How do you periodically de-carbonize an engine? Only way I know to is to pull the head, something people used to do on two strokes, but I never did, I really don't understand the need.
I know some use sea foam etc., but isn't that washing the carbon off the head and piston crown and into the cylinder? Carbon is very abrasive
There is a product/machine called "Motorvac". It will decarbon the combustion chambers and valves. Additionally it will clean the injectors. You have to use a MotorVac machine you can't just pour some into your fuel tank. It's water based and will separate. Probably cost $$$ to have the service done. Call some diesel shops.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 14:41   #15

Hudson, I did the anchor locker thing a few months ago. Good point about the drain. I had to remove an old danforth that was hangin' around and rusting out. I did a major cleanup.

Another thing: Hidden Hoses. Our water heater hoses run under the galley sole from the engine. Outta sight, outta mind...

Hose replacement to HW heater w/ Hose Flix

I lost all my engine coolant on this baby!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote