Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 13:11   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Need Hypalon Dingy Glue

We are currently in Samana Dominican Republic and need the proper glue to repair our dingy. We have a small puncture about 3/8 inch long. Have 2 part glue and patches on board but glue is too old and will not set.

Will have son here and will be touring in a rented car, traveling back towards Luperon ect. Can anyone familiar with the DR tell me where they might have the 2 part glue for Hypalon ?

Thanks Bob
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 16:41   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Need Hypalon Dingy Glue

A fairly robust temporary fix an be done with 5200, preferably the fast set type.
Old 13-01-2019, 22:10   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Bob, if there is a dinghy repair shop there, that is where I'd look. But, as Paul L. wrote, IF you have 5200, It will glue hypalon, although it takes forEVER to dry. (About one week to full strength.) Otherwise, have someone bring you some fresh 2 pack from the States. There is another glue, SC 2000, and SC4000, that is a two part glue for hypalon, it is used for food conveyor belts, and also for coal loading conveyor belts.

We have used the 5200 (3M),and the SC 2000 and--if I remember right--4000 successfully on hypalon (below the waterline, too).

So far as I know, polyurethane glues will NOT work, no matter what the salesperson says. For your 3/8" tear, a patch that extends 1 inch on all sides of it (round the corners) should take care of the problem. So, if you have someone bring you stuff from the US, have them bring you a 2" circle of the flexible hypalon patch stuff. It's really nice patching material.

Ann
Old 14-01-2019, 01:42   #4

Thanks Ann and Paul. Our son is coming and has the two part glue in his possession . When he bought it it could only come via ground transportation, I guess its flammable . He is planning on pitting it in his checked bag but we don't want to get him in trouble with airport people. Not sure if it would be a issue or not.

If we use 5200 do you just glue the patch on with it? Any special prep? Thanks again!
Old 14-01-2019, 01:50   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Prep for 5200 bond on hypalon: sand thoroughly. Clean with Acetone, Toluene, or MEK., put the patch on, inflate a little, let set one week. Then, inflate and go.

If you use Bostik or similar, the wait period is shorter, but see instructions with the glue.

Ann
Old 14-01-2019, 05:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Put it in checked baggage, if he has it in his carry on he could run into the amount of liquids your allowed to have restriction, if that still exists.
I haven’t flown Commercial in years.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 06:22   #7

A64 he is going to put it in checked bags, I suppose worst thing that could happen is they take it.How is your cruise going so far? Have enjoyed your postings, we have IP370 fitted out very similar to how you are.Thanks
Old 14-01-2019, 06:51   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

No actually the worst that could happen is he could be fined or charged with a criminal act. Many glues are flammable and they are prohibited even in checked baggage and the quantity for non-flammable in carry ons has to be "(Less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed)"

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/
Old 14-01-2019, 07:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Prep for 5200 bond on hypalon: sand thoroughly. Clean with Acetone, Toluene, or MEK., put the patch on, inflate a little, let set one week. Then, inflate and go.

Ann
I did it exactly this way when reattaching the rub rail to my hypalon dinghy. Several years later the 5200 is holding perfectly.

There is a quick set version of 5200 available that could speed the drying time a bit. I assume it's just as strong as the regular.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

5200 fast cure. it will take 24 hours, but will last and last.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 10:28   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

As long as we are on the subject, I need to re-glue an oarlock on my Caribe MVPL-8. Is the glue in the photo real glue or Sears glue? It's Flex Set from Marine Tex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oarlock1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	183812   Click image for larger version

Name:	oarlock2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	183813  

iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 10:32   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
As long as we are on the subject, I need to re-glue an oarlock on my Caribe MVPL-8. Is the glue in the photo real glue or Sears glue? It's Flex Set from Marine Tex.
Flexset is the best glue for rubber dinks. I always have a tube aboard.
Old 14-01-2019, 10:38   #13

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

With a 3/8" cut, put a stitch or two in it using dacron thread nylon thread, or even dental floss. Push the know down into the cut so it doesn't stick up. Cut a piece of Hypalon that will cover the tear and stitches by 1/2" or so all the way around and glue it on using super glue. Hold pressure for a couple of minutes. This makes a temporary patch (that will actually last quite a long time). Inflate the dinghy and it's usable right away. But, don't stop there. The super glue is stiff and can eventually crack with flexing. To solve that problem, get some Bostek, Goop, or plain old contact cement. Cut a larger piece of Hypalon that will cover the temporary patch by 1" or more all the way around. Coat both the dinghy and the large patch with contact cement and allow to dry until no longer tacky. Put another coat on both surfaces and allow to again dry until just tacky - usually only 5 min or so. Put the large patch over the smaller patch and smooth out any/all air bubbles using firm pressure from a rounded tool - the edge of a crescent wrench handle works pretty good. I've patched dinghies this way and had the patch last longer than the rest of the dinghy!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 10:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Flexset is the best glue for rubber dinks. I always have a tube aboard.
Agree. Great stuff. Not Sears, it's made by the company that makes Marine Tex which is also great stuff and I keep both on board.

I reglued a PVC rub rail to a Hypalon dink. One side with Flex Set, the other with 5200. Both holding perfectly a couple of years later. The Flexset is a lot more expensive but slightly easier to work with.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:27   #15

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I have a old Caribe inflatable, I have patched holes, seams and re glued the seat,, using 5 min epoxy. I mix in a little cabasol and it has worked for me wonderfully. I also used it with fiberglass cloth, it does flex a little and has held for years.

Just my 2 cents, good luck,

Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote