Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 09:05   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Bulkhead repair questions

I am in need of repairing a bulkhead aboard my boat.

The bulkhead has rot from the base all the way to the top of it from what I can tell(still doing some tests to figure out where it all extends to).

The leak has been solved(so I believe), so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to scraf inthe new plywood. I will post a photo of the area for people to get a better idea of where the damage is, however, on both sides of the bulkhead are lockers, while there is a door also mounted to it.

The rot doesnt extend too far into the area where the doorway is, may be an inch at the top(unsure if any at the base).

What would the best way be to repair this? Should I attempt to do one entire piece, given I can get the piece inside the boat?

Should the scarf joint be sufficient enough if it's over lapping the small area above/below the doorway, or should it extend into the area where there is no door?

I live aboard full time so trying to figure out the best way to approach this prior to tearing it all out.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:08   #2

Re: Bulkhead repair questions

I also forgot to ask, what's the best type of cloth that should be used for the tabbing?
Old 14-01-2019, 14:56   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I also forgot to ask, what's the best type of cloth that should be used for the tabbing?

For jobs like that I always use fine glass cloth/epoxy as it follows the surface of the material you are "tabbing" (and lots of layers)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:08   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

a single piece would be better if it can be done. it may not be as difficult as you think.
Old 14-01-2019, 18:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
a single piece would be better if it can be done. it may not be as difficult as you think.
I figured a single piece would be better. I need to measure my companion way hatch to make sure i'll be able to get a single piece down below, but I'm guessing i should have no troubles(especially since i will have a section of it removed for the doorway).

I will be replacing on the starboard side of the bulkhead as this is the only section of the bulkhead that shows the rot. I am currently on my way home and will photograph the location. I haven't checked how it is at the base of the bulkhead, but I am hoping there is a decent section that will not be damaged as this would allow me to cut a new piece so that it overlaps with a old section and I wont have to scarf in anything.

If you meant replacing the whole bulkhead, from port to starboard, it definitely wouldn't happen as it will be close to 13ft wide due to being the galley wall and near center and that would require a HUGE amount of work that I can't take on right now.
Old 14-01-2019, 19:58   #6

Here is a photo of what I'll be replacing.

It appears this is the only section that has rot from some tests that I've done. Of course, when i cut it away, I could find that I need to take more away, but in general this is the section thats in need of replacement.

As for a repair, is it okay if i cut it away and overlap the section above the door way so that I keep the lower section and extend a "finger" out over the existing piece to create a bond between new and old wood? I hope that makes sense

As for the other area in the wall section, I am going to just do a flat joint(no scarf) as this will transfer loads throughout the existing bulkhead. Do i need to worry about side loads?

I am thinking this will be tabbed in place with 17oz biaxial and west systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_191430.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	183829  

Tags
head