Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2024, 01:26   #1

Boat: Starkel 56
Water Infiltration trough sikaflex?

Hi guys, i have multiple water infiltration on my boat that I think are coming in trough a deteriorated wood and sikaflex, but I'm not sure that is it, as you can see from the photos the wood is also sort of corroding..

Im not sure how to fix this, if I should just remove old sealant and replace it and/or if I have to recoat the white with something..

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	289888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0446.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	289889  

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	289890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	289891  

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	289892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	289893  

AleCiotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 03:13   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Water Infiltration trough sikaflex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleCiotti View Post
Hi guys, i have multiple water infiltration on my boat that I think are coming in trough a deteriorated wood and sikaflex, but I'm not sure that is it, as you can see from the photos the wood is also sort of corroding..

Im not sure how to fix this, if I should just remove old sealant and replace it and/or if I have to recoat the white with something..

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately that looks like dry rot to me.

When the Sika (or any other sealant used) does not adhere properly rain water gets in and dries out. Repeat that cycle often enough and you start the decay process.

When your mentally ready to face the facts, take a sharp screwdriver and poke around the perimeter of the visible damage, you are likely to find it's larger than visible.

Then sand the paint away, assess the damage, remove any decay thoroughly by chisel, saw and grinder.

Repair with new wood and epoxy.

Sorry I can not bring good news. Once had to replace the full outer stem on a boat. Tiny area turned out huge. It's the nature of wooden boats unfortunately.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 05:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Unfortunately that looks like dry rot to me.

When the Sika (or any other sealant used) does not adhere properly rain water gets in and dries out. Repeat that cycle often enough and you start the decay process.

When your mentally ready to face the facts, take a sharp screwdriver and poke around the perimeter of the visible damage, you are likely to find it's larger than visible.

Then sand the paint away, assess the damage, remove any decay thoroughly by chisel, saw and grinder.

Repair with new wood and epoxy.

Sorry I can not bring good news. Once had to replace the full outer stem on a boat. Tiny area turned out huge. It's the nature of wooden boats unfortunately.
Thank you for your answer, in case I start taking out all the decayed wood, with what type of wood do I fill the hole? do I mix that wood with epoxy? or is the epoxy just for the outer layer?

If I wanted to just seal it without taking out the decayed wood for now, what are the potential problems that could cause if the decayed wood wasn't too much?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15-05-2024, 09:30   #4

Quote:
Thank you for your answer, in case I start taking out all the decayed wood, with what type of wood do I fill the hole? do I mix that wood with epoxy? or is the epoxy just for the outer layer?

It really depends on the amount of damage you discover under the paint.

I suspect it's far worse than it looks. If it's really just a small area you could grind the area out until only a thin layer of material is left and then build it up with fiberglass cloth (do not use mat with Epoxy.)
Youd need to feather out the edges of the perimeter of the damage so that you can blend the fiberglass built up in and provide structural integrity.

Just filling the ground out areas with thickened Epoxy is NOT a cure, as it will likely crack in the future and allow more water to seep in.

I do suspect your coach roof is built from marine plywood, possibly with a layer of fiberglass over it.

Usually you will have some solid wood or from veneers layered so called "laminated" coming around it.

This should be cut from wood. I'd use hardwood for it. Iroko might be a good choice.

Then glue some marine plywood with epoxy on it and once cured laminate a layer of biaxial glass cloth with epoxy over it.

What is your deck made of? Is the teak deck just covering a fiberglass deck, or ist there a marine plywood deck underneath? The reason I ask is that if it's a plywood deck the damage might extend into it.

For any repair on wooden structures Epoxy is really your best glue.

Do not use Polyester resin to laminate over wood and do not use Polyester for glueing wood.

I wanted to just seal it without taking out the decayed wood for now, what are the potential problems that could cause if the decayed wood wasn't too much?

Much bigger damage affecting areas around it.

Thanks in advance!

See above, I strongly suggest to have a qualified local wooden boatbuilder have a look at it if you are not an experienced fiberglass technician or wooden boatbuilder yourself.

Lots of luck. It needs to be fixed.
Old 15-05-2024, 09:49   #5

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
You are due for a full deck repair and recaulk. Some fiberglass and subsequent paint work also it appears. There is a filled hole visible in your pic #1 on the left which may have allowed ingress of water at that particular spot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 11:10   #6

Go it, thanks very much for your detailed answer.

It indeed looks like a very bad and deep problem, under the teak is wood aswell so even worse I guess.. i will try to sand the gelcoat on top of the infiltration and then see how far it goes and assess the damage

If for a miracle it isn't too bad I will try to do as you said to try and cover the hole from the missing wood.

i will also contact a wood boat builder to have a check and see how it's best to proceed.

Thank you again, appreciate it.
Old 15-05-2024, 11:19   #7

Quote:

It indeed looks like a very bad and deep problem, under the teak is wood aswell so even worse I guess.. i will try to sand the gelcoat on top of the infiltration and then see how far it goes and assess the damage

If for a miracle it isn't too bad I will try to do as you said to try and cover the hole from the missing wood.

i will also contact a wood boat builder to have a check and see how it's best to proceed.

I didn't realize this was a wood boat, I thought fiberglass with a teak deck. Yeah, that may have infiltrated the cabinhouse wood etc. Be good to check it out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 11:20   #8

Quote:

If its plywood, there is no gel coat. It's white paint. It will be thin. You really need to go down to bare wood I'm afraid.
Old 16-05-2024, 02:06   #9

Quote:
If its plywood, there is no gel coat. It's white paint. It will be thin. You really need to go down to bare wood I'm afraid.
ok got it, so I scrape off all the white paint / gel coat, remove the decayed wood as much as possible, I fill with marine plywood and use epoxy to attach it there, I then laminate the surface and clean with acetone, and cover it with a layer of biaxial glass cloth, and then maybe gelcoat/paint?

Thanks

"I do suspect your coach roof is built from marine plywood, possibly with a layer of fiberglass over it.

Usually you will have some solid wood or from veneers layered so called "laminated" coming around it.

This should be cut from wood. I'd use hardwood for it. Iroko might be a good choice.

Then glue some marine plywood with epoxy on it and once cured laminate a layer of biaxial glass cloth with epoxy over it."
Old 16-05-2024, 02:59   #10

Quote:
ok got it, so I scrape off all the white paint / gel coat, remove the decayed wood as much as possible, I fill with marine plywood and use epoxy to attach it there, I then laminate the surface and clean with acetone, and cover it with a layer of biaxial glass cloth, and then maybe gelcoat/paint?

Thanks

"I do suspect your coach roof is built from marine plywood, possibly with a layer of fiberglass over it.

Then glue some marine plywood with epoxy on it and once cured laminate a layer of biaxial glass cloth with epoxy over it."

Yes and try to get hold of a copy of the "System Three Epoxy Manual" or "the Gougeon Brothers Book on modern wooden boat construction".
Old 16-05-2024, 03:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Yes and try to get hold of a copy of the "System Three Epoxy Manual" or "the Gougeon Brothers Book on modern wooden boat construction".
“The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction” ~ by Meade Gougeon
https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...truction-book/

WEST SYSTEM® Epoxy Instruction Manuals https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...ction-manuals/

“The Epoxy Book”
~ by System Three Resins, Inc.
https://www.systemthree.com/blogs/ep...ree-epoxy-book

System Three “White Papers” ➥ https://www.systemthree.com/pages/literature

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 04:25   #12

Quote:
will absolutely do, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 16-05-2024, 06:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction” ~ by Meade Gougeon
https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...truction-book/

WEST SYSTEM® Epoxy Instruction Manuals https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...ction-manuals/

“The Epoxy Book”
~ by System Three Resins, Inc.
https://www.systemthree.com/blogs/ep...ree-epoxy-book

System Three “White Papers” ➥ https://www.systemthree.com/pages/literature

Thanks Gord, reliable as always!

Tags
water