Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 15:17   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Predatory Volvo Parts Pricing

As a long term owner of Volvo engines I'm accustomed to their outrageously high parts pricing, but discovered one today that is especialy offensive.

I've been having trouble with my starboard starter so I pulled it today and did some research. List price from Volvo distributors is over $800. But the starter itself is just a standard Mitsubishi starter which Ive found online for as low as $120 for the EXACT same starter (not just compatible, but the same Mitsubishi model number).

The starter is for a Volvo MD2020D and is Mitsubishi model number M002T 47281.

Volvo adds absolutely no value to this product. In effect charging almost $700 for a coat of Volvo green paint.

I have other examples and will post them here and encourage others to do the same. Please include specific model numbers so others can circumvent Volvo's scam.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:26   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Predatory Volvo Parts Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
As a long term owner of Volvo engines I'm accustomed to their outrageously high parts pricing, but discovered one today that is especialy offensive.

I've been having trouble with my starboard starter so I pulled it today and did some research. List price from Volvo distributors is over $800. But the starter itself is just a standard Mitsubishi starter which Ive found online for as low as $120 for the EXACT same starter (not just compatible, but the same Mitsubishi model number).

Volvo adds absolutely no value to this product. In effect charging almost $700 for a coat of Volvo green paint.

I have other examples and will post them here and encourage others to do the same. Please include specific model numbers so others can circumvent Volvo's scam.
I guess now I don't have feel so bad about Yanmar wanting $650 for a $160 Hitachi starter or $55 for an $8 prop shaft seal.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Predatory Volvo Parts Pricing

Posting part number crossmatches for all engines is an excellent idea.
I believe all manufacturers do this, maybe not mark it up so bad, but it's done by all.
Usually they are smart enough to put their own part number on it though, making you find the same part from another source difficult. By not changing the part number, Volvo is either pretty brazen, or not very smart.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 16:10   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:

You are absolutely right !!! They are thieves!! Jabsco impeller for a D2 55 is about 40 U$ and the OEM volvo 80 u$ , a Brand new D2 55 is about 7000 Euros here without saildrive or gear box, the Heat Exchanger exhaust manifold unit cost 3600 Euros, thats half of the Price of a new engine WTF!!! and the unit come without the mixing elbow gasket, and the gasket is another 60 E ,,,,, wow.... the Green Virus!!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 16:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Posting part number crossmatches for all engines is an excellent idea.
I believe all manufacturers do this, maybe not mark it up so bad, but it's done by all.
Usually they are smart enough to put their own part number on it though, making you find the same part from another source difficult. By not changing the part number, Volvo is either pretty brazen, or not very smart.

Volvo does get rid of a lot of OEM part numbers, but not all. This one is not visible until you pull the starter.

The MD2020 also uses a standard Johnson pump as the water pump">raw water pump, but void of Johnson numbers.
Old 17-01-2015, 16:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Difference with aircraft is it's illegal to use a substitute part unless it's a TSO'd or PMA'd part.
So Beechcraft charges several hundred dollars for their door lock, identical lock can be bought as a drawer lock in Home Depot for $2.
At least with a boat, you have a choice.

Problem often is finding out the source of an alternate part as in part number
I think a parts cross match data base, maybe by manufacturer would be extremely helpful, often you can find the automotive replacement when the Marine part just isn't available, lots of car parts places around though.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 16:47   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My volvo part story:

Helping a pal with a Volvo saildrive and folding prop. Prop secured by 8mm diam x 6mm long cone head grub (set) screw, s/s. Being in an aluminium prop, it was buggered every time he had the prop off, and the prop had to come off to change the anode. He had been paying Volvo 7 AUD (and this was ~15 years ago) per screw. When I took him down to the local nuts and bolts shop where they charged him 30 cents for one he almost burst into tears.

I can understand some markup for stocking small generic parts, but the extortionate practices of marine engine folks is painful to me. And the big green V ain't the only one: eg, Nanni charging 21 bucks for a standard lip seal for the water pump shaft (two required) that cost around 2 bucks from the local bearing and seal supply shop. IMO, that's excessive. Oh... the ones from Nanni still have the little metal springs in them... the ones that rust out and destroy the seal. The guys at the seal shop put o-rings in instead, and usually don't charge for that service.

Jim
Old 17-01-2015, 16:48   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Hitachi starter

Quote:
Yanmar wanting $650 for a $160 Hitachi starter
Can you provide the Hitachi PN?
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 17:55   #9

Someone should start a Volvo equivalent parts list that can be added to without comment.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 18:34   #10

Yes, a full cross ref database would be great.

Partial list that Ive started below for the MD2020D (ignore Racor entry...not Volvo specific). There are a few more oil filter cross refs I forgot to note.

All seals, bearings, o-rings can be acquired from other sources of course...including those for sail drive shafts. Also glow plugs, nuts & bolts. Relays are standard Bosch relays.

I swapped out the standard Volvo foam sock air filter, which dry rots in a season or two for a K & N filter. Much better solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1421548387529.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	95626  
Old 17-01-2015, 18:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Westerbeke is no better. New impeller assembly for the fresh water pump. Almost $300 from Westerbeke. Westerbeke used a Perkins block that was used in farm and heavy equipment. Found the Perkins part, identical to the Westerbeke except blue instead of red, $90.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 18:57   #12

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha , mate needed a small 4mm bolt for a Volvo. Even the rep was stunned when he found out the cost, and suggested he got the same bolt elsewhere... $50 vs 30cents! Thieves

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-01-2015, 19:06   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha , mate needed a small 4mm bolt for a Volvo. Even the rep was stunned when he found out the cost, and suggested he got the same bolt elsewhere... $50 vs 30cents! Thieves

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You know, Ben, it's more like a con man than a thief. Convincing someone to pay those prices for a readily available item is a definite con. If they were thieves they would just lift your whole wallet and be done with it!

It's when the parts guy gazes into your eyes and tells you that there is something really special about that Volvo bolt that I get pissed!

And most of the marine engine vendors are pretty much the same. Maybe a little less greedy than the big green V, but still rapacious.

Grump.

Jim
Old 17-01-2015, 19:11   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Alright I will chime in..

Last week I was looking for some mixing elbow gaskets to carry as spares. Figured it would be pretty simple to find them on the Internet and have them shipped (didn't need them right away). Turned out they were impossible to find on the net.

So I call up a local Volvo Penta dealer here in Alberta. Only to be told "No I can't sell you that part, we are not allowed to sell Diesel parts, only gasoline parts". What the hell do you mean, you are an authorized Volvo Penta dealer. Nope sorry only 1 shop in Alberta can sell Diesel parts and they are located in a smaller town in Northern Alberta. Crazy crap.. 2 cities of 1.5 million people and there are no dealers that can sell Volvo Penta Diesel parts.

So $22 for a crappy $0.50 graphite gasket.. Just shake my head..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 19:16   #15
Eternal Member

Quote:

First thing you need to understand, is that your Volvo is not really a Volvo :-)

It's a re-branded Perkins 100 Series, what Perkins called the Perama, or M-20...

Which is not really a Perkins, either... But rather an engine originally made by a Japanese outfit called Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery... Turns out that my engine - the 29 HP Perkins M-30, a larger sister to your "Volvo 2020" - is one of the more popular small tractor/light industrial engines in the world...

Here's a bit of background, something I culled from a forum at least 5 or 6 years ago... Remember, the part numbers listed are specific to the M-30, and are likely dated or superseded at this point...

This information was originally posted by Blais Marine in Seattle, I don't have the original link, this is from what I've saved in a file. But at least knowing the bloodline of this series engine, should help you source parts from a vendor other than Volvo...

Quote:
Those filters are getting easier to find, if you know where to look, and this is why:

Your engine is what Perkins calls a 103-10. Perkins started importing these 100 series engines from a Japanese company called Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. nearly twenty years ago. ISM is part of Ishikawajima Harima Industries, one of Japan’s largest industrial companies. Perkins marketed this engine in a marinized version as the Perama M30. They sold the engine to Volvo Penta who marketed it as their MD2030. They also sold the engine to Massey Ferguson, McCormick, Terramite, Textron, Jacobsen, Cushman, Vermeer, Leech Lewis, JCB, Kobelco, and Northern Lights to name just a few. In the US, the engine was distributed thru Detroit Diesel – Allison which is closely tied to the MTU conglomerate. By 1996, Perkins had become so successful at marketing these engines to other equipment manufacturers that they formed a joint venture with ISM called Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd. and began assembling the engines at the Perkins facility in Peterborough, UK from parts shipped from Japan. In 1997, Perkins was acquired by Caterpillar. With an added boost from Caterpillar, this little engine has become one of the most popular engines in the world. It’s used in turf equipment, tractors, mini-excavators, brush choppers, compressors, welders, pumps, generators, etc. etc. etc. Even Caterpillar uses it in some of their smaller equipment. The “Perkins” name was highlighted on the engine ID plate which is located on a distinctive boss just forward of the injection pump. The 2006 model year’s production of the engine has “Shibaura” highlighted on the ID plate. In 2001, the larger Shibaura 400 series engine was introduced with assembling at Peterborough, UK from parts mostly from Japan, and in June, 2004 assembling of the 400 series engine began at a Caterpillar facility in Griffin, Georgia, USA with production exceeding 100,000 units per year.

Perkins’ current part number for the oil filter is 140517050 and sells here in Kent, WA at Perkins Pacific for $6.85. At least that was the price a couple of months ago. All the earlier Perkins oil filter part numbers for this series of engine have superseded to this number. And all the engines in this series (two, three, and four cylinder 100 series) are supposed to take the same filter. I believe that Volvo’s part number is or was 834337. The filter should be readily available from any of the other equipment manufacturer’s using the engine including Caterpillar, and from many of the major filter manufacturers.

I think the numbers you had were:

Oil Filter = Fleetguard LF3826 or LF3376, Wix 51335, Fram PH3512, NAPA FIL1335.
Diesel Filter = Fleetguard LF5114, Wix 33386, Fram P3627, NAPA FIL3386, Volvo 861477-8?.

Disclaimer: Before using any parts suggested here, check them out for yourself, I could be mistook.
His last caution should be noted, as this original information is now perhaps a decade old... Parts numbers change over time, I'm currently using Fleetguard oil flters, for instance, and the current number is now different from the one listed...

If you ever need help with parts for the Volvo 2030/Perkins M30, a good source is TransAtlantic Diesel in Whitemarsh, VA... They're very knowledgeable about this series of engine, nice folks to deal with, they've always given me great service... But for major items like a starter, for instance, you can do much better shopping around with an understanding of what the engine really is, beneath the brand plate...

And, if anyone is looking for starters or alternators, I've had superb service at prices that are tough to beat, from "Budda's Auto Marine Electric" in CT. He has a store on eBay, Highly Recommended...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, volvo