Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 23:44   #3826

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

And whilst I'm here. My biggest concern with the LithiumFe batteries is not the batteries themselves but the reliability of the electronics they depend on. Electronics and salt water have never been a good combo, is it possible to buy "marine quality" battery management systems ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 23:47   #3827

Boat: Still building

Yeah, I concur. It's the elcetronics that become the potential issue, rather than sulfation or whatever.

But EV Power (purely as an example) rates their PowerPack modular batteries for marine use.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:28   #3828

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I was just browsing through a current Sail magazine where they had an article by cruisers who suffered a lightning strike on passage. It took everything out but the engine battery including icebox and watermaker, chartplotter, vhf, ssb, running lights and more. They made it in because they had charts downloaded on a cell and will now always carry paper back up. The small hand held devices off the wiring loom are what survived. Like many of these stories they enter port wondering what will happen to their cruise now that all the "essentials" have to be replaced in paradise, away from the retailers. There have been lots of these stories and boats on the market because the sailors couldn't afford to put it together again.

This is a long preamble but it brings up another point. What happens with lithium systems in a lightning strike? Does the battery survive but not the control module? I know Mark J has had good luck with his lightning prevention system for a conventional set up, would anything else be required?

What about that other lithium bugaboo, fires when wet? Are they sealed enough to prevent it?

If there is any doubt about these issues I'd suggest a wing mounting near the main hull side with a floor pan/hatch so the whole thing can be jettisoned in event of thermal runaway or lithium fire. The weight isn't in the ideal place anymore, down low above the waterline in a capsize, but it could save your bacon instead of frying it. Plus you can play Star Trek. "Mr Scott, we have a warp core breech. Jettison the drive!"

Speaking of hatches, maybe it should have top access as well for dock installation of the module and jettisoning if inverted. After all a elevator should go both ways. With luck you'll be the only kid on the dock who has one giving a leg up in the race of the Joneses.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 15:48   #3829

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Ha ha ha
OK i think i got the gist of it.
BUT at the end of the day the week or decade living on a boat is about electricity power for all the things that work and make our lives safer and easier.
Compare a windlass to hand haul for example. Our backs cannot cope ongoing.
If you get a manual anchoring system sure there is less effort but still its effort.
So power coming from the sun and wind is really the answer and why wouldnt you want to store that power and make use of it. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:11   #3830

Boat: Still building

It's widely reported thwt "thermal runaway" does NOT occur with lithium ferrous phosphate batteries, wet or dry.

It's why I keep banging on about the "correct" lithium chemistry.

On that note, beware laptops, mobile phones etc etc that have the pouch-type lithium ion batteries (different chemistry).

They are the ones that suffer fomr runaway thermal events.

But cav2 makes a good point about lightning strikes. But I know that you need large current control switches to isolate the lithium bank, so imagine that acts as some sort of fuse.

Demonstrates that good lightning protection is essential, with proper earthing straps and so on.

I'll ask EV Power for their thoughts on the subject. Curious.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 20:01   #3831

First I must say that the wing power pack idea was completely serious despite my warp core comments. If anything is suspect being able to chuck it can save the day.
Frisbee with the laptop,
hoops with the cell
toss that burning wadget
to stay out of 7734. ( can we say h*ll?)

I also realize that I'm out of step with the boating public in that I go sailing to sail instead of to watch TV and eat frozen dinners but I don't take those things hiking either. Personally I'm all for solar and one day when i can think of a reason to use more juice afloat I'll add a cell.

This brings me to the whole windlass issue. Everybody, I'm deeply sorry and remorseful. It never occurred to me to use one. Instead of using all chain I based my anchoring on using no more than a boat length of the stuff with the appropriate rode and hook as laid out in such classic tomes as the McMullen and Jones works. If you do this it is entirely possible and invigorating to haul the whole thing up by hand. I had no idea that enjoying this exercise would be offensive to so many, perhaps it was the squats. In truth I must confess and beg the forums pardon. I'm hooked on how I unhook and will skip the BALLAST of all chain and electric go cart engines for now. If I need to haul up 400 feet of line into a headwind I'll start the outboard and use a jib winch.
Old 18-07-2017, 02:54   #3832

OK Popeye
Old 18-07-2017, 07:52   #3833

Everybody remember to eat your greens.
Old 18-07-2017, 08:59   #3834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Everybody remember to eat your greens.
Our Popeye eats seaweed...............
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 13:46   #3835

Boat: Hans Christian 43 T

Aerogel
Steve Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 13:55   #3836

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I fights to the finish cause I eats my spinach. I'm Popeye the sailor man. Has to be 40s or 50s.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 14:09   #3837

C'mon you guys get this famous Searunner thread back on course.
Im looking at change the stern castle on my vessel. creating more room laying down area and an area to sit comfortably 6 adults.
Old 27-07-2017, 21:46   #3838

So you are stretching it forward?
Old 28-07-2017, 03:19   #3839

Reconfiguring the seating arrangement.
Making the table smaller (my table was way to big)
Just so that its more comfortable to sit and lay down.
I think that the very stern of the Searunner is the best spot
Looking out of the side windows seeing the arma out of the water and forward seeing the helm wheel self steering in operation. Its like a kings spot. I love it.
so making the seating arrangement wider and the table smaller
Yea enables me to lay down.
Beat that!
Old 28-07-2017, 08:11   #3840

Table size is always a compromise. The stern cabin is the throne room on most Nicols, away from everybody and no need to go through the cabin to the pitching bows.

My table is in the main cabin. I have a settee that seats 4 on one side. I don't have a picture of the table yet but it is usually folded in half lengthways and opens up across the cabin to reach seats on the other side. No picture as it needs its final sanding and varnish but it is a pretty interesting contraption. I need to make a seat extension but 6-7 is possible. The raised seating lets you look out the cabin windows for great views. The curved upper back rest is really comfortable for the U seating while allowing your feet to stretch under if someone is kicking back. Still haven't made cushions yet but the angle on the bench is comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settee1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	152883  

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran