Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 17:30   #4966

Boat: Still building
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Bargain. Should be bought by a maritime museum.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:41   #4967

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

WILDERNESS update for February 6, 2024:

It's been a while since last connecting. Today, San Diego is surviving an "atmospheric river", more rain than I can remember. At the moment, my overhauled engine is sitting in the cockpit, wrapped up in trash bags. I am trying to do some work, boring stuff like mold removal from interior surfaces, installing the new soundproofing in the engine room, painting the engine bed and bilge. This stage is really boring and uncomfortable. And slow. I need to get this small stuff finished, though, so I can drop the engine back in, connect hoses, cables, wires, and all the seeming endless stuff associated with diesel propulsion. Then, I have the steering, cockpit electrical panel, cleaning , and hookups. Rolling big rocks uphill. Yuck. Wish me luck. Its all stuff that I chose to put off until our rainy season little realizing how wet and stormy it was going to be. But, it all has to be done before I can haul out, install my beautiful centerboard, and the underwater electronic toys. My sails cry out to me from their storage in the starboard float locker.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 10:20   #4968

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captqrunch View Post

Wife and I met Jim in Isla San Francisco back in the '90's.
He invited us aboard and gave us the 5 cent tour.
Fond memories.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 19:51   #4969

Boat: SeaRunner 25, SeaRunner 37, 56-foot sailing fishing trimaran, (current) Oceanic Proa, 24 feet

[QUOTE=longjonsilver;3555726]Her name is Further.

I'm not the OP but I have information on this. CG has closed comments on their original Facebook post at From U.S. Coast Guard Station Wrightsville Beach FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/USCGStationWrightsvilleBeach), posted on January 15, 2022 at 5:42 am, so I'm posting here hoping it will do someone some good.

1. It could have been a container, but I doubt i I had a Cal 20 T-bone my SeaRunner 37 in the harbor once. It was only doing 3 knots, and it left a triangular "Cal 20 bow-shaped" hole in my ama that was 16 inches on a side. I'm thinking a container would have left a bigger hole.

2. The SeaRunner 37 "Calafia" went on the reef at Milolii on the Big Island around '74- to '75 sometime, tearing out the bottom out of the main hull but leaving the amas relatively undamaged. I spoke to Frank Wurz the owner later, and he confirmed that their engine fell out through one of the holes. They sailed the boat from Milolii to Kawaihae to haul out, with chest-deep water inside the main hull.

It wasn't very fast, but they DON'T sink. She'd have been lower with holes in the amas, but she still wouldn't have sunk. Do the calcs on the cubic footage of wood in the boat, then subtract the weight of metal (don't forget to minus the engine, which fell out!), and the boat's still positively bouyant.

3. The builder probably put a passageway through from the front to the stern cabin; this would have made the boat go down further by the stern because the water from the assumed bow leak would have gone sternwards through the passageway. The stern was lower because of the location of the engine's weight aft of amidships.

4. Sad no one salvaged it; 30 miles to shore would've been a cheap tow job compared to the value of the boat. I've been building SeaRunners all my life, and that would have been 2 weeks of repair in the boatyard plus a couple thousand dollars of materials.

So, if you ever see a SeaRunner abandoned at sea, put a line on it. It's not going to sink and pull you down with it.

My SeaRunner 37 Spice, in happy days.

With Warm Aloha, Tim
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 19:27   #4970

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Well.....I'm a little bummed to post this:
https://www.searunner25.com/
I have finally decided it is time for my next adventure.
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran