Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 05:07   #1

Shipping via Sevenstar - NEVER AGAIN!

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has successfully shipped a yacht from The Med to Australia with a company other than Sevenstar who both damaged my yacht, and treated me like a leper rather than as a customer -- the reason for their continued existence!

I will be looking at moving another yacht in the next 18 months and will NEVER EVER USE SEVENSTAR AGAIN, under ANY circumstances.

Man I should have done my research more before my recent shipment, as I've subsequently found an incredible number of reports from extremely pissed-off ex-customers, since my experience.

'Sevenstar'..... well it's like "Best Coffee in Town", anybody who makes claims that they are 'fantastic and the best' should be avoided like the plague. I've already successfully 'warned-off' one potential victim. Love to hear other stories, and some alternatives who are actually competent and have integrity, at least a little bit!
Old 12-03-2019, 15:14   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Shipping via Sevenstar - NEVER AGAIN!

So what was your experience? What did you ship, how much did they charge and why were you so unhappy?
Old 12-03-2019, 18:14   #3

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

No help sorry. We were entirely put off by the prices for shipping to Aus (ignoring the bl**dy GST and duty!) by DWT, 7star and all the others: about A$50-60,000+. We've so far had very good responses from Peters and May though, but this is across the Atlantic not to Aus.
Old 12-03-2019, 19:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as a delivery skipper i love these reports...........
Old 12-03-2019, 19:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping via Sevenstar - NEVER AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
as a delivery skipper i love these reports...........

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:27   #6

Boat: Flolodge

Sorry to hear this. I wish I could help. If I hear of anyone who can, I will pass it on to you.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:29   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Pretty sure a delivery skipper with a verifiable record of good outcomes would have been far less expensive. Also, the Med to Australia has got to be about the longest yacht shipping run there is. I think I personally would just sell in the Med, and buy in Oz, or sail it myself for the experience rather than have it lashed on a cradle welded to a deck for weeks on end in all weathers. Even the most conscientious yacht transport firm can't control the sea state and the stresses put on said cradle, hull or rigging.

But that's my take only, of course.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:51   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Not a yacht story, but we had a stern railing and boarding ladder shipped from one state to ours. If shipper (private individual) crated it, they would charge to 'inspect' and more to ship. If they 'Crated' it, it was cheaper. When it arrived, it was not 'crated' at all, not even secured to a pallet. Their idea of crating (which cost $400 extra) was throwing a packing blanket over it. Thankfully it arrived without damage.

Should have researched first. After looking them up, one customer story was they shipped an expensive antique piece of furniture. It arrived as kindling. Company discounted the settlement since the item was so old.... (I love you pay insurance for a set value and THEY discount the settlement.)
Old 13-03-2019, 09:24   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

We used DYT to transport our boat from Virgin Islands to Florida following hurricane Irma. Had a very positive experience with DYT. We used them based on a very positive recommendation from someone who shipped from FL to NZ
Old 13-03-2019, 09:27   #10

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

We shipped last year with 7 Star from Thailand to Turkey. We were happy with the result. We suffered no damage other than a vast amount of red dust from the African deserts. The dust was stuck to everything exposed. It cost us $38,000 USD for a 50' (including overhangs) ketch. Tip: We left a Garmin Inreach Explorer onboard. It was set to track at four hour intervals. We could bring up a map on the internet that showed its location, speed, etc.. Then we could check Windy.com to see what the weather was doing at its location. We enjoyed following its movements very much.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:49   #11

Boat: Amel Maramu, 46 ft.

We used SevenStar to ship our 46' Amel Maramu from Phuket, Thailand to Marmaris, Turkey and were very pleased with the customer service, handling of our boat, and help on both ends with customs and other paperwork.
Old 13-03-2019, 12:33   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

Sorry to hear. We shipped our 43' monohull from Phuket to Marmair, and then from Genoa to St Thomas. The only issue we had was when they did an unscheduled unloading at a stop midroute, and the crane brushed our masthead; it put a huge glob of grease on the masthead light and broke our windex . On delivery, I noted it, called Sevenstar, they offered to send someone out to repair it, or offered me $500 to repair it myself (which I did!) I thought their response and effort was top-drawer! We had no issues of the trip across the Atlantic!
Old 13-03-2019, 14:28   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The problem with all review posts, neg or pos, is that you have no idea if they represent 1% or 90%. Everyone gets it wrong sometimes so I tend to listen to people who had a problem solved, or not. The other thing is that people who have a good experience tend not to post while those who had problems want to shout out to everyone. Makes the whole internet review/reference thing somewhat difficult to judge and why there is some much misinformation out there
Old 13-03-2019, 15:44   #14

Boat: Bristol 30

I have no dog in this fight but I am not super trusting of a report with.. no report on it. Just venting of emotions.
Old 13-03-2019, 16:09   #15

I had a quote from those guys last year to move my 42ft Mono from Phuket to Marmaris. They wanted 36K USD I politely replied back sorry it was just not feasible as I only paid 46K USD for the boat. The guy replied to say let us know nearer the time we can maybe do it cheaper. He sent back an email after Christmas saying..... hi just checking with you to see if you won the lottery over xmas and want to move your yacht. Funny guy what a P@@@K!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
sevenstar, shipping