Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 11:49   #1

An old debate with a new detailed scenario

Dear all,
Ive newly come to the boater world and was thinking about a power boat or a sailboat. I did a lot of research online and people answered the decision really depends on how you want to use the boat. So I figure if I provide my detail scenario here, people can help me better.

Planning usage of the boat
Ok, so I have never sail a boat before, but im willing to learn. Everybody needs to start somewhere right? However, Im not planning on getting to any distant place in a boat. All I want to do is to spend 3-4 hour on a day I feel like going out on the ocean. Maybe once a week. hang out with my friends or families, watch sunset, fishing or just chilling on the sea. All the other time, the boat will be sitting at the dock. We might spend a night in the cabin occasionally when docked.

Boat Choice
So Im actually very specific with my question. I now have an offer of a 1978 Buccaneer 35' for $21500. Im in Los Angeles, the boat is currently docking in Marina Del Ray. This is the only affordable price range for me. But when I checked online, I realized there were newer powerboat cost much less. And thats where the debate came in.

Another factor here is, the Buccaneer current have a tenant living onboard paying $1575 month to month. The owner said I could take the business with me if I want and that is really tempting because I get to offset my monthly storage and main fees. But Im wondering if I get a powerboat, can I rent it out like this when Im not using it?

Is buying the 1978 Buccaneer 35 a good idea
And now comes the conclusion:
* powerboat or sailboat if Im not gonna use the boat extensively so that maintenance cost and fuel cost wont be too huge

* is there a life span on a sail boat? is this Buccaneer 35 a good deal? The owner said he kept the boat really well and the boat doesnt need any work done.

Thank you everyone, and Im actually very excited to get my first boat in life!
fishhead1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: An old debate with a new detailed scenario

If the boat is tenanted, how are you going to:
"...spend 3-4 hour going out on the ocean. Maybe once a week. hang out with my friends or families, watch sunset, fishing or just chilling on the sea ... spend a night in the cabin occasionally when docked."

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:00   #3

Bucanneers are very hard to sell. Often smaller ones are hard to give away. I'm not convinced they are as bad as their reputation, but it doesn't matter... as if you buy it, you may be stuck with it. The price you mention is way too high for a Buc. Does it have a working diesel engine? For 20K you can get a decent sailboat, albeit old.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:47   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd suggest you try getting a FUN little sailboat, like a Laser or a Capri or something, to try for a while to see if you really fall in love with sailing. It can be very addicting when you make a boat scud along by just pulling on rope attached to a big cloth wing. If you don't you may not be happy with a boat that leans over on its side regularly, and it is supposed to. Once you fall in love with sailing you won't wonder which to get. If you don't, there are many good powerboat options. Personally, and this is just me, I find I get sea-sick more often on powerboats, but almost never do on my own sailboat. BTW we can probably steer to some great sailboats in the 20k range if you catch the bug, but you'll probably recognize them yourself at that point!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like the ideas posted above, especially Don C L's thought that you need to first find out if you like sailing with a small boat.
Old 17-04-2016, 16:37   #6

Hi, thanks for the input.
I've been on a 35 sailboat and a much bigger powerboat, like a real power yacht. I dont mind either of them, but of course not sure what a smaller power boat will feel like.

well and the original idea is that if we and the tenant get along, we can sail out sometime occasionally. If not, i will let the tenant live in it as long as he wants to and get as much money back. Or we can work out some other arrangement.

I think the real now is if this 78 Buccaneer 35 is not a good deal, what recommendation do you guys have for this price range or lower? I was on ebay and many sailboats in this size are more expensive than this one..
Old 17-04-2016, 17:23   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My recommendation is to leave the 20k in the bank and sail a little boat for a while. Marina Del Rey is a great place to practice. See if you like it. There is a really lovely Pearson Triton for sale in my neighborhood for 21k but I still would not recommend it to you yet until you are either hooked on sailing, or on powerboating. If you are bound and determined to buy a 35 foot sailboat, you might consider one like this:
Chris Craft Sparkman&Stephens Sail Yacht
I have not seen it but they had a good rep back in the day and it looks to be in good shape. If I had 20k I'd definitely go have a look.
But really there are many good possibilities, when you know more clearly what you want.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:39   #8

Boat: Krogen 42

I suggest you also take some basic boating courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-04-2016, 18:46   #9

Buccaneer did not make a 35' boat. Their largest model was 32', one version of which was named 325 but was still only 32' LOA.

Perhaps that boat you're being offered either is 32' or is not a Buccaneer but it's corporate relative, US35, both companies were owned by the same corporate parent, Bayliner. But US Yachts was a much better quality builder with totally separate facilities from Buccaneers (at least their 25'+ models).

If you can post pictures of that boat it will be easier to tell which one it is. If it is in fact US35, which was a motorsailer and assuming no major issues, $21K would be a fair price for it, not a steal but fair enough. If it is a Bucc 32 it is $20K overpriced.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 18:59   #10

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Sorry, but something is not adding up. A 38 year old boat that doesn't need repairs? A live aboard tenant that pays so much rent the seller is offering you a "business" with a 88% capitalization rate? And if there is a tenant, it's not really yours to sail then. I would run run away from this. But then I'm probably just suspicious like that.

Far better I would think is to see if someone locally is doing sailing classes, or maybe partial share leases of their sailboat combined with training so you can see what it's all about. If you're into entertaining friends, sailboats are not going to give you nearly the same amount of space as a powerboat of the same size. We spent four years sailing through various means before deciding our first boat would be a powerboat. One day we'll probably go back, but for now we decided to go in a completely different direction than we thought we would just a year or two ago.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Buccaneer did not make a 35' boat. Their largest model was 32', one version of which was named 325 but was still only 32' LOA.

Perhaps that boat you're being offered either is 32' or is not a Buccaneer but it's corporate relative, US35, both companies were owned by the same corporate parent, Bayliner. But US Yachts was a much better quality builder with totally separate facilities from Buccaneers (at least their 25'+ models).

If you can post pictures of that boat it will be easier to tell which one it is. If it is in fact US35, which was a motorsailer and assuming no major issues, $21K would be a fair price for it, not a steal but fair enough. If it is a Bucc 32 it is $20K overpriced.
Hi I attached a photo of this boat. Is it what you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	122776  
Old 17-04-2016, 19:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I don't know much about Buccaneers, but if they're made by Bayliner, watch out. The hulls are ok, but finish work, especially fiberglass covered outside wood or plywood is shoddy. The wood gets wet and by the time they're 30 years old it need replacing.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fishhead.

Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...45#post2098745

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 08:01   #14

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Bucanneers are very hard to sell. Often smaller ones are hard to give away. I'm not convinced they are as bad as their reputation, but it doesn't matter... as if you buy it, you may be stuck with it. The price you mention is way too high for a Buc. Does it have a working diesel engine? For 20K you can get a decent sailboat, albeit old.

I have to second this. Buccaneers are terrible and anyone who knows sailboats knows this. There is a reason they stopped building them after such a short run. It would work for what you want but resale is nil. I am in Marina Del Rey and would be happy to talk to you more if you want to PM me I will send you my phone via PM. BTW 20 K is far to much for this boat.

Also for what you want it seems that a powerboat would be a better fit (I can't believe I just said that) And there are many in the 30 foot range that would be less than 20 K. Your slip fee with a non livaboard status in Marina Del Rey should be about 550 to 650.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:39   #15

Guess we all like boating or we would be on some other forum. And we have all made the decision, somehow, as to wether we prefer sail or power. My story is that I took dingy sailing lessons, had a 24' sailboat for 2 years, then raced with a friend on a larger boat for 15 years. At that point I wanted my own boat but wasn't sure about sail or power. I took a nice power boat out for a try and was so bored after 1 mile that I said power was not for me. I then bought a 30' nonsuch and kept it for 25 years and have many fond memories and don't regret it for a minute.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote