Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:47   #1411

Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
So because you have not had good experiences, the advertised flea markets are not beneficial?

If you haven't attended every one listed, your opinion, is biased.

No flea market is guaranteed to have any item you are looking for. This is the price you may pay for trying to save money. Some people may want more for the item(s), which you think is unreasonable.

This can happen at any flea market, advertised in the "glossy" magazine or not.

If there are flea markets not listed in the magazines, maybe you should advertise them on here. Will help out those who have things to un-clutter their boat.

James L
Reading old posts saw this. In Fl. (,if laws haven't changed), to sell at flea markets you must have state tax license. Not like other states where you just rent a space for the day and sell what have you. Here you need a sales tax license keep records and collect and pay taxes. So basically Fl. flea markets are small business with little over head. You will not find the real bargains like at a garage sale. Flea markets are to make sales and profits. Yard or garage sales are more to get rid of things not needed and maybe make some money. This is where you are most likely to get a good price or bargain for a better price . They don't really want to keep it till they get their price. They don't want to store it any longer.
Old 13-03-2020, 10:00   #1412

pounds
fresh ground beef or frozen turkey
quart
tomato juice or I 29-oz can chopped tomatos
(29-ounce)
can tomato puree or 4 cans 15 oz tomato sauce
(15-ounce)
can red beans, drained
(15-ounce)
can pinto beans, drained
large
onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2
cup
diced celery
1/4
cup
diced green bell pepper
1/4
cup
chili powder (you may want to use less, as some people find this is too much)
teaspoon
cumin
1/2
teaspoons garlic powder
teaspoon
salt
1/2
teaspoon
ground black pepper
1/2
teaspoon
oregano
1/2
teaspoon
sugar

Slow cooker Directions

In a skillet, brown the ground beef; drain. Put the drained beef and the remaining ingredients in a slow cooker, turn on low and cook for 4 hours.

instead of slow cooker heat in pressure cooker after hot-steaming, place a cutting board in bottom of a ice cooler. Sit pressure cooker with lid still on in cooler and will continue to cook and heat for hours. cuts prep time.

I have this for one meal then freeze rest.
Could be canned I pint jars and then reuse jars. simple to make and keeps canned on boat.
Old 14-03-2020, 07:44   #1413

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do the Amazon thing as well. But for me it’s laziness, I have no interest in shopping at all.
That’s my Wife’s thing, and one of our Daughter’s.
Being Retired Military I don’t mind, actually like wearing the same thing every day, so I have a half dozen of the same shorts
Heh.
Having a 38" inseam I started buying "all they had" early in life. I still buy a bunch of whatever at a time.
Last daily shorts was 14 pair on sale in 2016. I try to separate the work ones but fail often enough by not remembering I am "going out" and doing a chore instead. I still have 3 going out pair left.
P.S. The wife does not like me to wear my "work" shorts all day every day but tolerates it because she likes me ruining a pair (by not paying attention adn "fixing" something) even less.
Old 14-03-2020, 07:46   #1414

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Based on observation, most thrift store “treasure” finds later end up on top of the cruiser trash, which is the “free to” location.
I recently got a Weber grill for $15. Could not have been used more than a couple of times.
The list goes on.
Old 14-03-2020, 07:48   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Reading old posts saw this. In Fl. (,if laws haven't changed), to sell at flea markets you must have state tax license. Not like other states where you just rent a space for the day and sell what have you. Here you need a sales tax license keep records and collect and pay taxes. So basically Fl. flea markets are small business with little over head. You will not find the real bargains like at a garage sale. Flea markets are to make sales and profits. Yard or garage sales are more to get rid of things not needed and maybe make some money. This is where you are most likely to get a good price or bargain for a better price . They don't really want to keep it till they get their price. They don't want to store it any longer.
We had a garage sale once.
We made more selling sodas on a hot FL day than we did selling junk (to us).
Old 14-03-2020, 08:29   #1416
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Heh.
Having a 38" inseam I started buying "all they had" early in life. I still buy a bunch of whatever at a time.
Last daily shorts was 14 pair on sale in 2016. I try to separate the work ones but fail often enough by not remembering I am "going out" and doing a chore instead. I still have 3 going out pair left.
P.S. The wife does not like me to wear my "work" shorts all day every day but tolerates it because she likes me ruining a pair (by not paying attention adn "fixing" something) even less.
wives they just don't understand . but what can you do happy wife happy life
Old 14-03-2020, 09:37   #1417

Boat: Rafiki 37

Funny... all my clothes kinda look the same. But then I don't own that much. Four pairs of pants, maybe eight shirts, and enough undies/socks to last a few weeks.

I'm always in long sleeve shirts, and pants. I rarely wear my one pair of shorts -- too cool and too sunny up here for my Celtic genes.

Tags
budget