Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 09:16   #1021

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax ...

Spanish AEMET This is exactly the problem with strdate URL's
I have had some success (3x's) writing METs with a request for static URLs. It is definitely worthwhile doing!

http://www.aemet.es/imagenes_d/eltie...w_gpx0a000.gif

2018012700+000 = 2018 01 27 000+000 = year 4digit, month 2digit, day 2digit

We do not yet have a good solution for all users for this.
We can handle static URL's these are dynamic unfortunately.

These look like they are pretty good and would be useful!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:33   #1022
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The series from today

2018012700+000_ww_gpx0a000.gif Observation
2018012712+000_ww_gpx0a200.gif Observation
2018012712+012_ww_g1x0a212.gif forecast base+12
2018012712+024_ww_g1x0a2d1.gif forecast base+24
2018012612+060_ww_g1x0a2c2.gif forecast base+60
2018012612+072_ww_g1x0a2d3.gif forecast base+72

Will observe this in the next days to get the complete pattern.
The historic data are there as well:
http://www.aemet.es/imagenes_d/eltie...w_gpx0a000.gif will render the Obs from 2018-01-25 00
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:26   #1023

Boat: First 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Rick...
Please build with https://github.com/seandepagnier/weatherfax_pi/pull/91 and let me know if you are happy.

Pavel
Nice !
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:00   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Rick or anyone..
I'm not a racing sailor and have not looked further into Tactics_pi. Consequently I've never produced a polar for my boat. Rick, I'm a lazy man. Could you offer a file for your boat I could use for a start? I think our boats would be rather similar.
Thanks
Håkan
Hakan I like your boat, well built, good ballast, fin keel, 2' bigger. Probably does better upwind and in heavy weather than Nell.
S/V Mono: NAJAD 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com designer Olle Enderlein
S/V Nell: BRISTOL 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
designer Ted Hood

You have about 1100kg displacement and 700kg more ballast. Let's try to find some polars to start with for your boat.

I think if we could find the polars for a Hinckley Pilot 35 that would be a good start.
Hinkley Pilot 35: PILOT 35 (HINCKLEY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
I think the C&C34 is too lightly built and has SA/Disp of 17+ and is similar to the J32c

Now the problem is we don't have a Hickley Pilot 35 polar yet.
We can try to find one.

Najad 320 ORC sailboat data.
Najad 355 ORC sailboat data.

No luck yet on a Hinkley Pilot Polars, but we should have that.

How about contacting najad?
https://najad.se/

You do know that the best way to do it I think is to record your own polars using Polauto or Polars_pi. We had a Little Harbor 52 fully measured and weighed and the skipper paid for Performance Calculations using all of our different sail sets, the results were very interesting but detailed, from them we figured out when we would be best to change sails, roughly. Then in a race we found the relationship to the real world was pretty far off. So I am pretty much in favor of recording your own polars and writing down all conditions, including bottom condition, tide, seaway, and sail sets. https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ftware:polauto

You can use Nell's polars, they are in the polar files I believe, but those are generated from a program called Techsail-VPP https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...tware:techsail
and I haven't verified them.

If I can be any further help, let me know. See you on WxRte thread.
Old 27-01-2018, 12:14   #1025

Boat: Najad 34

Rick.
For a Najad contact I could so to say "walk cross the street". Where on the same island.
What I's asking for is boat file I could use just for to test the weather routing pi. If I find it useful I could edit an own file for my boat I suppose.
Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:27   #1026

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Have created a PR xml-updates-full to Sean. Fixed the ampersand & in Australian bom section.

The German Met DWD does not work for me but it works for Uwe. I am also finding that the ABORT and Pause do not work very well while I am hung up on that website!

I think there is something very wrong about this URL, or the website or the program but I cannot identify what the problem is. I know it did not do this before, and we got it resolved with Dirk and Stelian, ..Uwe earlier. I think this should be fixed or removed as new users will think the plugin does not work if they go direct to here.
Rick, thanks for providing a new beta exe! I have no problems with the DWD, except the surface analysis is 4MB and with my limited internet that takes a bit of time. Do you have problems with other files from DWD, besides the surface analysis?

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:53   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
It is trivial. I just don't see any reason why do it in chartdownloader if it can be done with the same few lines of code in weatherfax directly.
The files already are online. On github. Contributing is simple, even you do create the pull requests already.
- Upload - Yes that is true, "even I can use git now" ... however not everyone will learn. Maybe we depend on some skilled users to maintain the xml's via git, making PR to Sean's repository and being sure the PR's are merged and work properly. Perhaps this is best, but doesn't the catalog system for charts work similarly?

-Download & update wxfax XML yes this might be a good simple way to update the xml files only... but maybe we should have users install a full version so the PI code is current.

What we really need to do is figure out a way to enable users to fix the files in their locale and some way for use to retrieve those records and meld them back into the main XML's easily. Uwe suggested an Editor's interface, maybe that would help, with a feature to export the changes to zip, and import changes on the other side. It is prettymessy right now opening files and cutting and pasting etc. Just thinking out loud.

Quote:
I would also like shorter names.. ie coords.xml and wxfxinet.xml
What would this be good for?
I am always having to type them! It is entirely too long.
Old 27-01-2018, 14:10   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Rick.
For a Najad contact I could so to say "walk cross the street". Where on the same island.
What I's asking for is boat file I could use just for to test the weather routing pi. If I find it useful I could edit an own file for my boat I suppose.
Thanks Håkan
Hakan, look in
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\weather_routing_pi\data\polars
or just open the plugin. and go to Boat and pick the three dots "..." and make a boat.xml for Mono-Tws-0-25.xml under the Boats directory.
Save it.

Then go to "Boat" and pick "Edit" and then "Add" and go down to
boat_Bristol32-140Jib-Spin.csv or boat_Bristol32-140Jib.csv and add it to your boat file. You need at least one polar file to do routings, but you may want two or even three polars for various sail sets or conditions. The plugin will pick the best one to use.

If your polar(s) don't have winds high enough for your area, you'll need to add some information for TWS that are higher, or the routing might fail. You may want a polar for your regular TWS and heavy TWS.

To edit a polar go to Boat > Edit highlight the polar and Pick Edit. A table will be presented . you can edit the numbers. If you want to add or delete a column or row, click on the Dimensions Tab.
Old 27-01-2018, 14:31   #1029

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
- Upload - Yes that is true, "even I can use git now" ... however not everyone will learn. Maybe we depend on some skilled users to maintain the xml's via git, making PR to Sean's repository and being sure the PR's are merged and work properly. Perhaps this is best, but doesn't the catalog system for charts work similarly?

-Download & update wxfax XML yes this might be a good simple way to update the xml files only... but maybe we should have users install a full version so the PI code is current.

What we really need to do is figure out a way to enable users to fix the files in their locale and some way for use to retrieve those records and meld them back into the main XML's easily. Uwe suggested an Editor's interface, maybe that would help, with a feature to export the changes to zip, and import changes on the other side. It is prettymessy right now opening files and cutting and pasting etc. Just thinking out loud.

Quote:
I am always having to type them! It is entirely too long.
Type them where? Even Windows have clipboard and filename completion in the cmd.exe "shell" using TAB key.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 14:35   #1030

Thanks Pavel. You've helped us a whole lot!
Old 27-01-2018, 17:00   #1031

Dirk It all works now. I wonder if there is a smaller Surf analysis on that site?

In fact,the files could be under 250kb.

I note that they have an english language selection EN
Also there is a Special User page, and Aviation Fax on Demand which requires contacting someone.
If someone were to contact the person on this page and write in German our questions and requests, perhaps we would be able to download:

1. Get a good resource in Europe for static WeatherFax (url stays the same and does not change by date every day)
2. URL's with good data and graphics.
3. Smaller B&W files suitable for sailors using sloow & expensive connections.
4. Smaller B&W surface analysis of the wider area, Europe and Germany that isn't 4mb but more like 250kb or less.
5. Some good satellite images, highly compressed, with static url.
6. Maintain known constant coordinates and chart type (polar, mercator, conic, flat), scale, etc. Coordinates maintained for long periods of time so it is not necessary to change the coordinate settings in the weatherfax plugin frequently, reduces updates and work.

I someone were to craft a polite request with these details, perhaps there will be an answer! They are often very helpful.

Also for the UK Met people, India, Singapore and the others we are having trouble with.

Look at these world weatherfaxes! by hours
these are under 500 kb
Old 27-01-2018, 17:16   #1032

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Dirk It all works now. I wonder if there is a smaller Surf analysis on that site?

In fact, all these files could be under 50kb.
I just checked and haven't found a smaller surface analysis for dwd, and I can read German pretty well...
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 17:37   #1033

Found DWD shipping page
https://www.dwd.de/EN/specialusers/s..._en/_node.html

Here is their weatherfax broadcast schedule
https://www.dwd.de/EN/specialusers/s...cationFile&v=1

If there were small B&W files with a static URL, for this schedule it would be ideal.

Sea state charts! 178kb
https://www.dwd.de/EN/ourservices/se...karten_na.html
Old 27-01-2018, 17:54   #1034

UQuam Centre has these for many countries

Numerical Weather Prediction Maps / UKMET-G / North America | MeteoCentre.com

Numerical Weather Prediction Maps / UKMET-G / Europe | MeteoCentre.com

Forecast Maps Explorer / UKMET-G / Europe | MeteoCentre.com
Image URL is
http://img.meteocentre.com/models/uk...N_000_0000.gif
172kb.

Surface analysis for many places/
Analysis / Surface / Europe / North Atlantic & Europe | MeteoCentre.com
Old 27-01-2018, 17:58   #1035

France Marine
METEO MARINE par Météo-France - Prévisions côtières
No weatherfaxes though.
You would think with all the French sailors we'd have a host of Weatherfaxes for the plugin.

Tags
paracelle