Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 17:10   #301

Boat: Sailboat
Re: WeatherFax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Any other issues besides the glitch on the first screen?
On linux I don't have the glitch...

But, after rotating, the 'cutout' of the picture doesn't match the rotated rectangular pic: using the vertical sidebar I can't get to the bottom of the pic, while the horizontal sidebar shows an empty area to the right of the pic, see screenshot.

Not really important, the next screen for calibration works just fine, just a little quirk.

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sidebars.png
Views:	164
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	57366  
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:50   #302

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I ran it in MSVC Debug and it worked fine, as long as I put in the correct coords. When I didn't sometimes the Popup error Negative value would come up, but other times it would render and apply. Then I would get some pretty strange things happening which I will show later along with break errors, but it seems to chug along in Debug, impervious with a Continue after a break.

Then I ran a release dll in both opengl and not, and it was much faster. Still some problems zooming out all the way, but panning was fine. One wxfax which I entered incorrectly did render and when I panned it would move across the globe with me. I would pan several times and it would sroll across at a lesser rate. Then finally at a final pan it would disappear. Pan back and it appeared.

It appears that User Entry error checking has been freed up a little, and so we can get this kind of behavior? I will upload the series if you are interested.

Other than the user screwing up this seems to be working pretty well, but it needs to be really exercised more by users, a number of them now, I think.

Here is the DLL. Take the doc off please.

I'll put up the other User Error stuff tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: doc weatherfax2_pi.dll.doc (323.0 KB, 76 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:55   #303

PS. Still have the transparency in the first window. Some of the errors I'll upload tomorrow may have somethingg to do with that because I was screwing around with that area.
Old 19-03-2013, 18:23   #304

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
On linux I don't have the glitch...

But, after rotating, the 'cutout' of the picture doesn't match the rotated rectangular pic: using the vertical sidebar I can't get to the bottom of the pic, while the horizontal sidebar shows an empty area to the right of the pic, see screenshot.

Not really important, the next screen for calibration works just fine, just a little quirk.

Dirk
Great, thanks for reporting, I just fixed it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 18:32   #305

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Great, thanks for reporting, I just fixed it.
it works! Little things do improve user experience

Thanks much!

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:06   #306

Anomalies and User Input Errors

Note: Plugin expects user to enter the correct lat long. There is some checking and validation of user input, but not 100%. Incorrect lat long errors can result in the following:
1. Image does not appear overlayed on the chart. Hit edit and correct.
2. Image is scaled improperly or in wrong location. Edit again.
3. Image changes locaton, pans across globe when pan is hit. Image finally disappears. Then reappears when view is panned back.
4. An image.cpp error appears and the plugin may break. Restart plugin and start over.

So put in the correct coordinates! View the weatherfax in image editor, zoom in and write down the correct lat and long for the points you have selected.

When in the coordinate setup screen, make sure the blue circles are at the correct lat long and if they do not appear after hitting "get map" you've got something wrong with your lat long or your coordinate selections.

What follows are some examples of these errors, screen shots after I applied the wrong set of lat long for a polar from notepad scribbles the day before. Result anomalies and break errors.

Remember the plugin does not check for all user input errors (lat long) and prompt you. That is an impossible task.

The next post has the rest of the screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WxFx2-Break-image-cpp-1570.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	57436   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Break-image-cpp-454.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	57438  

Name:	WxFx2-No-Blue-Rings.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	57440   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Break-image-cpp-1570-Second.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	57441  

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	57442   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	57443  

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	57444   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-4-FaxDisappers.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	57445  

Attached Files
File Type: doc WxFx2-CMDbuild-output..doc (19.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: doc WxFx-2MSVC-build-Debug-output..doc (10.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: doc WxFx2-Break-image-cpp-1570.doc (9.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: doc WxFx2-Break-image-cpp-454.doc (9.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 20-03-2013, 06:14   #307

Here are the rest of the screen shots. Just above you saw how a polar (excuse me, mercator) projected onto mercator, can become unattached to the globe and start panning across continents when the user hits "Pan", then after too much panning the image disappears.

To fix this hit Edit and correct the lat long.
The last shot just shows 4 mercator and polars up at once.

I am not sure the "Save" "Remove" Coordinate Settings works yet. I have not tested it. Hopefully others will do this.

Sean, why would a guy leave his sails flogging? They'll get worn out. You're going to want to go sailing pretty soon I think. Here we just had an environmental day of dreeriness and snow. Time for boat covers to come off to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-5-Edit-Next.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	57446   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-6-Edit-Next-FixCoords.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	57447  

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-7-Edit-Next-FixCoords-Better.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	57448   Click image for larger version

Name:	WxFx2-Drag-Pan-Fax-seemsToDragTo-8-Polar-Mercator-4faxes.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	57449  

Old 20-03-2013, 07:09   #308
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
To fix this hit Edit and correct the lat long.
The last shot just shows 4 mercator and polars up at once.

I am not sure the "Save" "Remove" Coordinate Settings works yet. I have not tested it. Hopefully others will do this.

Sean, why would a guy leave his sails flogging? They'll get worn out. You're going to want to go sailing pretty soon I think. Here we just had an environmental day of dreeriness and snow. Time for boat covers to come off to.
I most images that I have loaded at one time is 6. I had no issues, scrolling or zooming then (GL on)

It is nice to be able to name a set of coordinates so that they are readily available for future use. I have not been able to remove any coordinates from the list. Unfortunately I have approx 50 sets of coordinates that I had accumulated that I cannot seem to delete. Just checked and it is closer to 60. There are New Coord xx (up to 53) as well as several blank entries in the drop down list.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:03   #309
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
The ones required by the new wxformbuilder. I honestly can't remember anymore.. it's crazy but ask nohal, he requires it for the wmm plugin, then...

You can't do a dist-upgrade? What about just upgrading wxwidgets?
I could do dist-upgrade, but I do not want to. There is a good reason for that. I consider both my work laptop and my nav PC a production environment. Those familiar with IT will immediately recognize this term and implications, I hope.

I will look around, maybe there are some maintained wxwidgets backports...
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:46   #310

LJH you can delete them in the opencpn.ini and clean it up. I posted something about that with notes above.
Old 20-03-2013, 16:13   #311
LJH

Quote:
LJH you can delete them in the opencpn.ini and clean it up. I posted something about that with notes above.
Thanks for the reminder. Got it squared away now.

Cheers
Old 20-03-2013, 23:10   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I most images that I have loaded at one time is 6. I had no issues, scrolling or zooming then (GL on)

It is nice to be able to name a set of coordinates so that they are readily available for future use. I have not been able to remove any coordinates from the list. Unfortunately I have approx 50 sets of coordinates that I had accumulated that I cannot seem to delete. Just checked and it is closer to 60. There are New Coord xx (up to 53) as well as several blank entries in the drop down list.
Unfortunately this is not an issue for me so it is not easy to fix. The remove button works except it will never remove the new coordinate generated for that sight. If that coordinate is selected, the remove button becomes disabled. The new coordinate is only saved if it is used. At least this is how it is supposed to work.

Are you using the latest version?

Quote:
Anomalies and User Input Errors

Note: Plugin expects user to enter the correct lat long. There is some checking and validation of user input, but not 100%. Incorrect lat long errors can result in the following:
1. Image does not appear overlayed on the chart. Hit edit and correct.
2. Image is scaled improperly or in wrong location. Edit again.
3. Image changes locaton, pans across globe when pan is hit. Image finally disappears. Then reappears when view is panned back.
4. An image.cpp error appears and the plugin may break. Restart plugin and start over.
Thank you for the report, however it is difficult for me to reproduce these conditions without more information.

1. How can I improve this? Should it warn the user if the image is in a different location from where they are located? Maybe this is impossible to fix, the user is the error.

2. Again.. user's fault

3. This is an obvious sounding bug I have never seen. Please give me step-by-step how to reproduce it.

4. Same.. if you can break the plugin it is a bug and needs to be fixed.
Old 21-03-2013, 01:09   #313
LJH

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not an issue for me so it is not easy to fix. The remove button works except it will never remove the new coordinate generated for that sight. If that coordinate is selected, the remove button becomes disabled. The new coordinate is only saved if it is used. At least this is how it is supposed to work.

Are you using the latest version?
I knew you had an issue with this initially and did not pay much attention to it. I am using the latest version. I just chose a new chart to use and stored the coordinates - works as it should.

The chart I chose needed to be rotated CCW. On the initial screen, the image extends beyond view to the right and below the window. After I rotated the image it was split. The part of the image that was out of view to the right was supposed to be the top of the fax image was now below the rest of the image. I have attached the source file and images.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PYEB86.gif
Views:	118
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	57483   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 split fax.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	57484  

Name:	2 split fax.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	57485   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 split fax.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	57486  

Old 21-03-2013, 07:37   #314

I tried your image, it seems fine. I"m not sure how to correct this problem. Do you have other images that work? What happens if you rotate the image in a separate program.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	209
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	57509  
Old 21-03-2013, 19:40   #315

Quote:
Quote:
3. This is an obvious sounding bug I have never seen. Please give me step-by-step how to reproduce it.
Thought I took a shot of the Coordinates entered for TEST-ppam50bw.gif 96hr 500mb Feb but I checked and did not record them or take a screen shot. I will try to reproduce later and if I succeed I'll upload, but I know the wxfax moved (panned) without being stationary with respect to the globe because coords were entered incorrectly of a scribbled sheet (coords for another file). Hopefully I can repeat.

Tags
paracelle