Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2023, 05:28   #796

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice View Post
Hi Douwe,
To provide AIS and Radar independancy and enable users to use an instance of Opencpn as an independent, fully fonctional radar display I believe that it would be very useful to able to display ARPA relative vectors (bearing and course of tracked targets) on the radar screen.

That would be a matter of extending the AIS target display to be able to select
1/ display of AIS targets and/ or ARPA targets
2/ relative or true target motion vectors

Best Regards
Fabrice
Fabrice,

Thanks for your professional comments.
The current ARPA system was born out of an experiment trying to distinguish a target on the radar screen. Gradually this was extended to what we have now. In our current system the collision avoidance calculations are left to OpenCPN itself, these are not done in the radar plugin. We pass the target over to OpenCPN in a TTM message. But OpenCPN is doing these calculations basically for AIS targets. AIS targets have true target motion vectors. So therefor we provide TTM messages with true target data. For our radar software it would be easy to provide relative target information, however I expect that this would require changes in OpenCPN itself.

Displaying only radar targets in OpenCPN can be done by disabling the communication interface of the AIS connection. So it is possible but not user friendly at all.
I think the best way to follow up on your ideas would be to provide a choice of true and relative target vectors in the PPI radar window, the radar window without chart overlay. This can be handled completely by the plugin and is therefor under our control.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 11:49   #797

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47

Dear Douwe,
Thanks for your detailed clarification regarding the task of each software component.
I totally agree with you. A vector display option Relative/True for the PPI Radar window would be the nicest choice.
This would give the best user experience in line with typical ARPA radar features and also would not involve coupling between OpenCPN core code and Radar plug in.

I have a Naval / IT engineering backgroud, have managed a software developpement team, have also developped in C and C++ last millenium :-).
I am planning to install a HALO 20+ from B&G and Vulcan 9 inches MFD on my SunKiss 47 sailing boat.

I may contribute to some steps : Detailed specification of the feature / Implementation / Testing ?
What would be the best way forward ?

Best Regards
Fabrice
fabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 06:06   #798

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice View Post
I may contribute to some steps : Detailed specification of the feature / Implementation / Testing ?
What would be the best way forward ?
Best Regards
Fabrice
Fabrice,
We don't really follow a formal development cycle. Normally one tries something, make it better, if it looks good then the implementation is the specification. But anyone is free to do what he likes. When it is good, we can include it in the next release.

Best way to start is to set up a development environment on your preferred platform. Easiest way is to make it compile OpenCPN itself first, then the development environment should be fine for the plugin as well. Look in the manuals, they help but are not complete. Once you can compile the plugin, try to make a modification to the PPI (radar) window to get the feeling what is does. To really do what you need, you need to use OpenGL calls, looks complicated, but isn't really too bad. And you must get the basics of Git. You have the background to master all of this. Need help, use the forum, or if it gets too technical for the broader audience, mail me directly.
Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 06:18   #799

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Development Manual

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...cpn:dev_manual

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...0.1/index.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 17:53   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
Dear Cruisers,

Right on the heels of OpenCPN 5.0 I'm happy to report that the MultiRadarPlugin team has just released the first production release of our super-duper new plugin with multi-brand radar support.

Here is what we worked on over the past 18 months:
  • New major features in this release:
    • Support for OpenCPN V 5.0 and multi canvas with simultaneous overlay of two different radars
    • Revised multi radar type architecture. Adding a new radar only requires radar knowledge and can reuse the existing display technology.
    • Support for four simultaneously active radars. Multiple brands can be mixed.
  • Display and UI:
    • Real time true motion image
    • Multi canvas support with simultaneous overlay of two different radars
    • Look forward and look aft in radar windows
    • Dragging and zooming in radar windows
    • Performance and stability improvements
  • Radar support
    • Garmin HD and xHD radar support
    • Navico “new” 3G support. Older 3G radars are still supported via the BR24 type
    • Navico HALO-3, HALO-4, HALO-6 and HALO24 support

The downloads for Windows and macOS can be found here:

https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ses/tag/v5.0.0

The Ubuntu PPA should update in the following days.

This release means that as of now, we highly recommend that you use this plugin. Not only is it the only released radar plugin that works with O5, it is also much improved over the existing Garmin and Navico plugins.

Kind regards,

Håkan
Douwe
Hans
Kees
I am exploring the idea of sourcing a radome from Alibaba. I can't find any used ones around and can't afford the high cost of a new one with the brands your plug in supports.

Are there any specifications or any info you could share that would tell me whether a radar I try to source might work with your plugin? It may be a long shot but I'm guessing there's something similar between the data being output from some of the radar options you've listed that might be consistent with what I am able to order. And, there's a decent chance that some of the options I have are actually coming from the same factory as the one supported by the plug in.

Any insight would be appreciated!!
MrGod2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 19:43   #801

Boat: Najad 34

MrGod2You..
There are no such specifications to list apart from it should be "broadband" type connected by the IP protocol. The instructions to control and read scanner data is in the plugin's code. "Just to read". But you want be able to get any similar info from a radar scanner maker.
If you have reasons to believe any Alibaba scanner is a (pirate) copy of a supported type you may try it. But it's a real trial and error so if you don't have a unit to test before ordering the odds for success are very low.
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 10:47   #802

Hi Folks
Seeing if I can get some thoughts in helping me troubleshoot my Garmin 18HD installation with OpenCPN.
I did read the docs in the manual.
I have the Amphenol connector (via Digikey) soldered with a rocker switch on pin 5 to chassis ground. Same as in the picture. I didn't realize the pinout of a RJ45 actually doesn't have a ground.
My configuration is:
Pi4 running OpenCPN. Powered with a wall wart from 120V - 5V transformer. Configured ethernet port to use 172.16.1.1 with netmask 255.255.240.0. It is slightly different process as it uses SystemD for networking.
Standard ethernet cable out of the Pi4 to the Amphenol MRJ-5780-01.
Garmin ethernet cable to the Garmin 18HD.
Power to Garmin 18HD from benchtop supply at 12.6V with 7Amps capacity.
I have tried it with turning the complete system on (Pi, radar) with the switch closed. No radar turning on to standby.
Tried Pi4 up and running. Then turn on power to Garmin. Then close switch. No radar turning on to standby.
I did test it with a 'new to me' Garmin 4208 from eBay and I can get the radar to go into standby mode and transmit mode, so know the radar is working.
Would appreciate any advice on what I am missing as want to use it without having an MFD in the mix.
Thanks in advance, James
Breezing, Catalina 30
Halifax, NS, Canada
boardfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 00:31   #803

James..
I have a Navico radar scanner so I'm not familiar using Garmin but until someone more experienced is showing up:
Two parts here; 1) The function of the power up switch and 2) the network connection to radar plugin.
1)
Do you know if the switch is working?

When you use the Garmin MFD is the Amphenol switch used or is the scanner connected directly to the MFD without the switch?
(I think the switch function rely on a shielded IP-cable from the switch to the radar scanner. I.e. there must be electrical contact between the Amphenol RJ45 chassis and the scanner chassis ground. Is that verified?)

2)
If the switch function is verified:
What says the radar plugin info window when the scanner is connected and the switch is closed.
(OCPN right click context menu: "Show radar" / "Control Garmin...")
Old 08-01-2024, 07:18   #804

Thumbs up Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Hi Haken,

Thanks for your reply.

In order of your questions:
1. Switch. Yes, I confirmed it works. Open and closes on the proper conductors.
Ground. I think this is the issue. I was going to run all the systems off of one common power supply of 12V DC and ensure the switch is connected to true ground. I don't think it is seeing ground and therefor not spinning up in standby.

2. OpenCPN: it doesn't see the radar yet as it is not electrically connected. Need to do (1) before (2) becomes an option.

Thanks for your perspectives as they are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
James
Old 08-01-2024, 18:19   #805

Hi Haken

Success on getting the radar spinning. It was a ground issue from the chassis ground pin on the Amphenol switch.

I took the pin directly to my 12V ground that was powering the radar. Once I closed the switch, I was able to turn on the radar.

Now the logical fun begins of getting the ethernet ports talking so that I can use the plugin!

Cheers,
James
Old 08-01-2024, 18:26   #806

Hi Haken
I can now communicate with the radar.
Just trying the plugin now. I can control the modes. Don't want to turn it on as I am trying it in my office. Will mount it on my deck and try.
James
Old 11-01-2024, 12:12   #807

I have kind of a strange problem. 4G radar works great for 40 seconds, than "No radar" "Waiting modus" Happens every time.

Latest version of plugin, cabled network (no router), firewall disabled. Testet on both Windows and RPI4.

B&G 4G radar. Firmware: Oct 26 2012 (!). No serial shows. Tested with BR24, 3G and 4G mode.

Thanks,
_
Bekkevoll
Bekkevoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 13:20   #808

Bekkevoll..
If you've radar plugin version 5.5.0, and use AIS on PPI window, you may try the Beta version 5.5.2-alpha.
Options->Plugins->Settings->Change to "Plugin Catalog": Beta -> Done.
Then "Update Plugin Catalog: Beta"
Scroll to "Radar" and install update.

If first time use of "Settings" you have to read and remember the message about edit the config file. (Win: opencpn.inf or Linux: opencpn.conf.)
Close OCPN. Edit the config file. Start again.
To find the config file location: Use Toolbar menu icon (?) "About OpenCPN"
Old 11-01-2024, 18:39   #809

Boat: Feeling 1090

Just as an update,

I am running OpenCPN 5.8.4, radar 5.5.0 ... with a Garmin GMR 18HD+ (note the plus ...) scanner.

If I select "Garmin HD" as single radar type, doesnt work, shows disconnected, no options appear when clicking radar icon

If I select "Garmin xHD" as single type, doesnt work, no options appear when clicking radar icon

If I select BOTH options, it works prefectly and appears as a xHD

actually, if I select "emulator" and "garmin xhd" it works fine ...
rszemeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:41   #810

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Radar connection kills NMEA passthrough.

Hi,

I'm passing NMEA data with OpenCPN into a WiFi network as described within the OpenCPN manual.

Works great.

Still, when I switch the radar on, I loose the connection.

The radar works also great. It's a 4G B&G and directly plugged into the PC via a crossover network cable. There is no separate display unit.

How can I keep the NMEA WiFi broadcast working when the radar is operating?

Appreciate your help.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar