Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 09:19   #166
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 847
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
@dave
I tried it both ways - OGL on and off and I can't say I saw a perceptible difference. Resolution is 1920 x 1080 and you are correct I was using raster charts all the way. I've got vector and CM93 so I'll give them both a whirl tomorrow if the weather cooperates for our crossing.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca

Interesting. I have had the opposite experience. Three or four days on the move now in the Chilean islands using a mixture of CM93, NGA Kaps and Landsat images the I have calibrated and converted to Kap. I find this the most responsive OCPN yet, and so far very stable.

Running in a little Nettop 1.5GHz which is also running TimeZero and OziExplorer plus other stuff.

Chris


SY Morgane
http://tweedsworld.com
__________________

__________________
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:34   #167
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you have the Voyage Data Recorder plug-in and can supply me with recorded NMEA streams of a voyage I can use that to simulate a passage and then check for features that create other slow downs.
The slow behavior is independent of chart type (ie. Equally bad with all forms). Smooth panning / zooming is always off and I never use follow me. The only thing I can offer is that the behavior is somehow related to the Com out connection. I have 2 prolific adapters - 1 brings the GPS in from a Garmin mushroom and the other pukes data out to my autopilot. Sitting at the dock with the Garmin feeding position data the behavior is fast and responsive. As soon as I turn on the autopilot the behavior deteriorates. I can turn the AP off underway and the system becomes much more responsive - not "perfect" but noticeably better. I don't have VDR installed and won't be able to do so for a couple of days but I definitely will do that.

FWIW task manager doesn't show any out of control processes or memory hogs.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
__________________

__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03   #168
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 197
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
The slow behavior is independent of chart type (ie. Equally bad with all forms). Smooth panning / zooming is always off and I never use follow me. The only thing I can offer is that the behavior is somehow related to the Com out connection. I have 2 prolific adapters - 1 brings the GPS in from a Garmin mushroom and the other pukes data out to my autopilot. Sitting at the dock with the Garmin feeding position data the behavior is fast and responsive. As soon as I turn on the autopilot the behavior deteriorates. I can turn the AP off underway and the system becomes much more responsive - not "perfect" but noticeably better. I don't have VDR installed and won't be able to do so for a couple of days but I definitely will do that.

FWIW task manager doesn't show any out of control processes or memory hogs.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
Which if any dashboard applets are you using?
__________________
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13   #169
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
Which if any dashboard applets are you using?
No dashboard. Only the route info box.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:00   #170
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,305
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Have not been following. Does the most recent Windows Beta download
Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
The latest beta testing release is OpenCPN 4.1.1301, released 2016-01-01

Have the new plugin api which includes the SVG for icons?
From the date I think probably not.... so we need to compile.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:14   #171
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,016
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
The slow behavior is independent of chart type (ie. Equally bad with all forms). Smooth panning / zooming is always off and I never use follow me. The only thing I can offer is that the behavior is somehow related to the Com out connection. I have 2 prolific adapters - 1 brings the GPS in from a Garmin mushroom and the other pukes data out to my autopilot. Sitting at the dock with the Garmin feeding position data the behavior is fast and responsive. As soon as I turn on the autopilot the behavior deteriorates. I can turn the AP off underway and the system becomes much more responsive - not "perfect" but noticeably better. I don't have VDR installed and won't be able to do so for a couple of days but I definitely will do that.

FWIW task manager doesn't show any out of control processes or memory hogs.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
Bob,

Thank you for the additional information. I can test something similar to your setup if you let me have some VDR files later.

]In the communications setup there is the ability to control which sentences go out to the AP. Do you have these restricted to just the ones relevant to your AP? If so, which sentences have to selected to send?
__________________
transmitterdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:21   #172
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

There are currently no filters applied. I'll dig into the AP manual tonight to see what I actually need and apply those filters tomorrow. FWIW I'm running a beta that Dave built last night.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:57   #173
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 197
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
There are currently no filters applied. I'll dig into the AP manual tonight to see what I actually need and apply those filters tomorrow. FWIW I'm running a beta that Dave built last night.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
It's a serial out? Is it configured as out only? What its speed?

If there's no load it's either a timeout or a serialization on a lock.

From my quick reading of the code it could be you're pushing too much to the serial port and via m_outCritical lock your serial port is slowing down OCPN to its speed.
On the other hand it's that or losing sentences.
__________________
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:49   #174
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,305
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

If anyone wants an ARM or raspberry pi install page, -This link won' change promise
we can include it, provided bdbcat agrees. Just be sure it works and attach a txt or doc to the this documentation thread please.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:18   #175
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
It's a serial out? Is it configured as out only? What its speed?

If there's no load it's either a timeout or a serialization on a lock.

From my quick reading of the code it could be you're pushing too much to the serial port and via m_outCritical lock your serial port is slowing down OCPN to its speed.
On the other hand it's that or losing sentences.
I have no idea what you just wrote --- but that's not an unusual situation for me. Both ports are 4800 baud. My AP won't listen any faster than 4800 - tried it - doesn't work - so I'm stuck at 4800.

O won't let me configure the port that is out only as out only so I filtered out all the sentences on the output. Sitting at the dock that appeared to make it somewhat more responsive but I won't know whether that's an illusion until we get underway tomorrow. I just d/l the VDR plugin so I should be able to have that running tomorrow as well. SWMBO is using the nav computer as a TV right now so my ability to install new software is critically impaired.

(later after SWMBO allowed me access to the computer)
O pukes at the version of the VDR plugin on the d/l page so I'm stumped until someone comes up with a more current plugin. Some error message about not working on V4 of O. O still appears more responsive here at the dock so perhaps filtering the com port output has helped.
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:22   #176
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,016
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Bob...
Plugins for OpenCPN 4.1 | Official OpenCPN Homepage as stated on the top of the plugin download page...

Pavel
__________________
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:51   #177
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Thank you Pavel - I had in fact missed that but I was distracted by the large font here:

Plugins for OpenCPN 4.0 and later:



and therefore completely missed the extremely small font "this page" which in fact would have taken me to the page you referenced.

Someone could likely clean that up in the time it takes to redirect lost souls such as myself.
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:18   #178
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,016
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Thank you Pavel - I had in fact missed that but I was distracted by the large font here:

Plugins for OpenCPN 4.0 and later:



and therefore completely missed the extremely small font "this page" which in fact would have taken me to the page you referenced.

Someone could likely clean that up in the time it takes to redirect lost souls such as myself.
Bob...
Don't worry, when 4.1 won't be a beta testing release and turns 4.2 stable, it will be sorted out. For now 4.0 is a stable release, that's why the plugins for the beta are not more prominent on the page.

Pavel
__________________
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:34   #179
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wandering around North America
Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Posts: 602
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Bob...
Don't worry, when 4.1 won't be a beta testing release and turns 4.2 stable, it will be sorted out. For now 4.0 is a stable release, that's why the plugins for the beta are not more prominent on the page.

Pavel
That may be but "4.0 AND LATER" is more than just a little confusing.
__________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans
M/V Gray Hawk, 43 Defever Offshore Cruiser
http://www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:49   #180
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 847
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Repeatable freeze.

Attempt to export a track from the marks , tracks routes manager and get instant freeze of OCPN.

Memory remains stable

CPU usage for O goes to 0

Chart display area goes black

Limited ability to send files at the moment but have two tracks loaded , both fairly lean as have been cleaned. One 2k miles or so the other 400

Chris


SY Morgane
http://tweedsworld.com
__________________

__________________
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: FIREBOY 1301 Automatic Extinguisher Doug Brown Classifieds Archive 0 13-05-2014 21:19
Install Halon 1301 system in diesel engine room? chris07732 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 11-04-2011 07:44
OpenCPN Version 2.3.0 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 74 31-12-2010 02:09
OpenCPN Version 1.3.6 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 32 30-01-2010 06:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.