Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 00:20   #1
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
S-63 plug-in for OpenCPN

After very constructive conversations with the IHO and UKHO as the responsibles for the S-63 Protection Scheme we have finally green light to start with a plug-in for OpenCPN.

In order to make everybody happy we will have to split the part of the management of keys and some other parts from the kernel of OpenCPN and run it as a seperate operation. We will report on details when we progress in the development.

If somebody would like to participate please contact us. Redcane has already pronounced his interest.

So let's go

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12   #2

Boat: Wasa 410
Re: S-63 plug-in for OpenCPN

Great news! Good work!
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:30   #3

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello BCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post

If somebody would like to participate please contact us. Redcane has already pronounced his interest.

So let's go

Hubert
It is with pleasure that I will serve as a beta tester.

B.R. Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:00   #4
gwm

Great news, if I can help out in any way please let me know.
Thanks,
Graeme.
gwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:14   #5
bcn

Short intermediate report:

today we had a meeting at Chartworld in Hamburg.

No objections to sell charts to OpenCPN users with a valid UserPermit.

It is recognized that the price policy for S-63 charts is tailored to the professional and not attractive for the leisure sector.

We will look if we can come to a better solution. That might be possible for some regions for others not as easily. We shall see.

Test data sets for our development can be provided.

Hubert
Old 11-10-2013, 22:16   #6

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Excellent news! I already have a valid account with Chartworld and have experience using the purchase of charts using the Polar View software. I'd be more than happy to help beta test. In fact, I'll be wanting to purchase a few charts in the next few months.

Having prior experience with Polar Navy, there are some things about the way you select charts for purchase that are cumbersome to use. Specifically, there is no "shopping cart" where you can add and remove selected charts before making the purchase. Polar Navy requires you to highlight and select all the charts you wish to purchase at one time and then click purchase. It would be great if this interface could be designed in a way that allowed a shopping cart where you could add and remove charts and maintain those selections for across multiple sessions so you can be assurred you have everything you need before making the purchase.

In the past with the interface from Polar Navy, I've found myself inadvertently failing to highlight a chart and because Chartworld has a minimum order amount, I've had to pay the minimum order price to get the one chart I missed.

Thanks for doing this!!!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 02:50   #7

Will this be available for the Linux version? Most cruisers I know are migrating to lower powered, more resilient Linux boxes.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 03:01   #8
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by st599 View Post
Will this be available for the Linux version? Most cruisers I know are migrating to lower powered, more resilient Linux boxes.
Yes indeed, the project is to have the plug-in for the three platforms Linux, Mac and Win, overcomminig the situation that the BSB and the NV plug-ins are Win-only.

Hubert
Old 21-10-2013, 08:33   #9

Quote:
Yes indeed, the project is to have the plug-in for the three platforms Linux, Mac and Win, overcomminig the situation that the BSB and the NV plug-ins are Win-only.

Hubert
Excellent, I look forward to finding some charts for my next trip.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:46   #10
EOB

Quote:
After very constructive conversations with the IHO and UKHO as the responsibles for the S-63 Protection Scheme we have finally green light to start with a plug-in for OpenCPN.

In order to make everybody happy we will have to split the part of the management of keys and some other parts from the kernel of OpenCPN and run it as a seperate operation. We will report on details when we progress in the development.

So let's go

Hubert
I'd like to participate. how can I start?
Regards, Eloi
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 00:38   #11
bcn

Perhaps it is time to give a short report about the status of the project.
(there is a reference to it in the Non profit company, charts for OpenCPN?? thread as well).

We made progress and the technical skeleton is in place.

OpenCPN in this moment is an OEM manufacturer of the IHO and has the right of using S-63 charts legally.

We are working now on the user interface and the organisational aspects.

We will need some extensive beta testing of the subprojects before going productive.

One part will be a Webshop, where the UserPermits will be issued and where the user shall access to S-63 chart sets.

Don't expect gratis charts. This is a political decision of the Hydrographic offices (and the governments they belong to) have taken and the actual policy of "austerity" does not help to change this posture.

Nethertheless there is a clear consciousness at the distributors and the Hydrographic offices that their business model is not satifsying the leisure seafarer. They are focussed on comercial shipping and infrastructures, including military usage of course.

We would be very happy to discuss with the hydrographical offices what we can do to improve the situation.

Please contact me if you have an idea or contact to discuss with.

Hubert
Old 26-11-2013, 02:01   #12

Boat: Najad 34

Hubert..
Really great and appreciated performance!
I'll enjoy every support I'm able to contribute like beta test or whatsoever.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 02:43   #13

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello BCN, Hello Dave,

Quote:
Perhaps it is time to give a short report about the status of the project.
(there is a reference to it in the Non profit company, charts for OpenCPN?? thread as well).

One part will be a Webshop, where the UserPermits will be issued and where the user shall access to S-63 chart sets.

Don't expect gratis charts. This is a political decision of the Hydrographic offices (and the governments they belong to) have taken and the actual policy of "austerity" does not help to change this posture.
Hubert
I think I heard the speech about the price of charts S-63:
- A structure will be implemented by OpenCPN for the recovery of allowed users and downloading maps.
- They will not be free.

I also read the other thread on the Norwegian charts. I understood to be negotiated with each organization chart manufacturer as the Norwegian service, the French Service (SHOM), the English Service (Admiralty) etc ...

All this requires negotiation "purchase" with charts providers S63. It will also work "marketing" to put the "allowed users" and charts available to users.
This is a new activity that has nothing to do with software development project.

Or how to structure these new activities will be structured? How many people are in charge? Who is responsible?
B.R. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 04:50   #14
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello BCN, Hello Dave,

I think I heard the speech about the price of charts S-63:
- A structure will be implemented by OpenCPN for the recovery of allowed users and downloading maps.
- They will not be free.

I also read the other thread on the Norwegian charts. I understood to be negotiated with each organization chart manufacturer as the Norwegian service, the French Service (SHOM), the English Service (Admiralty) etc ...

All this requires negotiation "purchase" with charts providers S63. It will also work "marketing" to put the "allowed users" and charts available to users.
This is a new activity that has nothing to do with software development project.

Or how to structure these new activities will be structured? How many people are in charge? Who is responsible?
B.R. Gilletarom.
Hi Gilletarom,

the requirements of the IHO and the national HOs are very clear:
one need to issue UserPermits and keys to activate cells one has purchased.
This is in the line of the existing BSB and NV plug-ins.
And we will face the same issue of pricing.

But OpenCPN users in need of charts that are only available by HOs or their distributors will have a way to get those. Under Windows, Linux and OS-X.
This as a first step.
If we can get "community discounts" on charts, better. But this is something we can work on.

For OpenCPN this implies:
there will be a plug-in that consists of two parts:
- a open one for integration into the existing program structure
- and a closed source modulle to handle the encrypting, decryting and all the stuff related to the keys.

The second part is under the umbrella of our engineering office (my wife and me) and strictly seperated from the normal development. Remember that right from the beginning Dave insisted that a development of this type of plug-ins shall not expose or putting into risk the rest of the OpenCPN development.

There will be a very simple webshop to generate the UserPermits and we shall have some first chart providers as well. No big organisation or structure.

SHOM by the way would be an important partner to talk to, even if they market the charts basicly by PRIMAR. France has the biggest user community of OpenCPN and if we have to pilgrim to Brest we should do so. And talking does mean in this moment: to sit down, to understand and to gather ideas.

Does that that answer your very wellcome questions?

Hubert
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12   #15
EOB

Quote:
Hi Gilletarom,

the requirements of the IHO and the national HOs are very clear:
one need to issue UserPermits and keys to activate cells one has purchased.
This is in the line of the existing BSB and NV plug-ins.
And we will face the same issue of pricing.

But OpenCPN users in need of charts that are only available by HOs or their distributors will have a way to get those. Under Windows, Linux and OS-X.
This as a first step.
If we can get "community discounts" on charts, better. But this is something we can work on.

For OpenCPN this implies:
there will be a plug-in that consists of two parts:
- a open one for integration into the existing program structure
- and a closed source modulle to handle the encrypting, decryting and all the stuff related to the keys.

The second part is under the umbrella of our engineering office (my wife and me) and strictly seperated from the normal development. Remember that right from the beginning Dave insisted that a development of this type of plug-ins shall not expose or putting into risk the rest of the OpenCPN development.

There will be a very simple webshop to generate the UserPermits and we shall have some first chart providers as well. No big organisation or structure.

SHOM by the way would be an important partner to talk to, even if they market the charts basicly by PRIMAR. France has the biggest user community of OpenCPN and if we have to pilgrim to Brest we should do so. And talking does mean in this moment: to sit down, to understand and to gather ideas.

Does that that answer your very wellcome questions?

Hubert
Hubert
Why a closed source module? The only things that have to be closed are the keys itself...
And we have to change the SENC format to an encrypted one. Is it correct?

Eloi
EOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug