Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 09:36   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Forum Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
You're asking too much of a generation whose attention span has been reduced to about 5-10 seconds before they press the clicker.
This is true of all of us, not just 'those damn kids.'
Old 23-02-2017, 09:50   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like LS’s ebb and flow view here. I’ve been around here for about six years now, and I don’t see any obvious change in the character of the questions or posts. If you really want to make this claim rourkeh, then it is possible to do some data analysis using the much-touted (and nearly useless) search tool here. Actual evidence of your claim would be interesting.

I’m always amused at this curmudgeony grumble coming from some old farts about using the search tool, and not asking the same old questions. You realize this is a discussion forum, not a database. People come here to discuss cruising-related topics. I’m not saying reading old threads is a bad thing, but if we insisted that only completely new topics be allowed to enter the pantheon of new threads, well, it would be a pretty quiet discussion area. There’s very little that is completely new under the sun … in any topic.

No one forces anyone to read or respond to a thread here. If it annoys you to read the same old posts, then move on. You can even put the thread on ignore if it really bugs you. Take a chill pill daddyoh.

As for this bashing of the 'damn kids who never get outside,' I just have two observations:

#1. Who are the parents? Mostly Babyboomers and Genxers … you know, most of the people who post here. So who’s to blame for these kids?

#2. It was ever the case that the older generations complained about “the damn kids today…”. I’m not saying things aren’t different today than in the past, but every older generation complains about the younger ones, and warns that some new technology is going to rot their brains. It was said about radio, TV, movies, it was said about Rock & Roll, Disco, Wrap, Hip Hop…

So I say, chill dudes and dudettes. Help the newbies if you want to, and have something useful to say. If not, then just have another beer and mutter quietly about the damn kids today.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:00   #18

Boat: hr352

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Quite a few of the regulars from when I started have died.. sad to say.
Too true
That day is coming for us all, just makes me want to seize it while I still can
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:03   #19

Boat: hr352

Quote:
I like LS’s ebb and flow view here. I’ve been around here for about six years now, and I don’t see any obvious change in the character of the questions or posts. If you really want to make this claim rourkeh, then it is possible to do some data analysis using the much-touted (and nearly useless) search tool here. Actual evidence of your claim would be interesting.

I’m always amused at this curmudgeony grumble coming from some old farts about using the search tool, and not asking the same old questions. You realize this is a discussion forum, not a database. People come here to discuss cruising-related topics. I’m not saying reading old threads is a bad thing, but if we insisted that only completely new topics be allowed to enter the pantheon of new threads, well, it would be a pretty quiet discussion area. There’s very little that is completely new under the sun … in any topic.

No one forces anyone to read or respond to a thread here. If it annoys you to read the same old posts, then move on. You can even put the thread on ignore if it really bugs you. Take a chill pill daddyoh.

As for this bashing of the 'damn kids who never get outside,' I just have two observations:

#1. Who are the parents? Mostly Babyboomers and Genxers … you know, most of the people who post here. So who’s to blame for these kids?

#2. It was ever the case that the older generations complained about “the damn kids today…”. I’m not saying things aren’t different today than in the past, but every older generation complains about the younger ones, and warns that some new technology is going to rot their brains. It was said about radio, TV, movies, it was said about Rock & Roll, Disco, Wrap, Hip Hop…

So I say, chill dudes and dudettes. Help the newbies if you want to, and have something useful to say. If not, then just have another beer and mutter quietly about the damn kids today.
x2
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:33   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, these days you no longer have to buy a boat and do sailing to become a cruiser. You can simply join the CF.

Sailing in the time of social media.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
x2

Many of the newer posters don't care that there are 20 years of threads that relate to their question, they just want to start a new one like it's (their) an original. Try a thread search and think about your question before posting it.
Even THIS thread is not original.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...re-178292.html
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:00   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt. - Horace, 20 BC

'Whither are the manly vigor and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...' - Valerie Steele, 1771

... see the simpering little beau of ten gallanting home the little coquette of eight, each so full of self-conceit and admiration of their own dear self, as to have but little to spare for any one else... and confess that the sight is both ridiculous and distressing... the sweet simplicity and artlessness of childhood, which renders a true child so interesting, are gone (like the bloom of the peach rudely nipped off) never to return. - SBS, 1893

'Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth--all these lack some of the regulatives they still have in older lands with more conservative conditions.' - Granville Stanley Hall, 1904

Basically the older generation have always thought the younger ones were little shits. Circle of life, innit guv
Old 23-02-2017, 11:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Everything just about that can be asked has been and has been answered multiple times, exception of course is questions about new boats, products etc.
But as Mike said it so much better than I could, many see this place as a discussion area and often times you learn by asking a question.
I started to post earlier as I am one of those newbie, wannabee's that has a great many posts in a few short years. A lot has to do with dreaming, however we do go this May, right after our youngest graduates High School, we have both tendered our resignations and will not actually really begin cruising until after this years Hurricane season.
I expect that when that happens I won't be on here nearly as much, I hope to be out there where there is no Wifi
I hope tht many seem to disappear, because they are out cruising?
But until then I guess I will be here, asking the same stupid questions that others before me have, trying to not make stupid mistakes and wasting money learning the hard way.
I have however noticed an interesting shift in the few years I have been on here, there used to be many more question about older 30ish ft Mono's, now it seems there is a whole lot about 50' Cats.
Now as I don't think I have ever actually seen one, but I know they must exist, but surely they are a rarity?
I assume there are a whole lot more affluent people considering cruising now?
Personally I never considered the possibility, largely this forum made me discover that you don't have to be exceedingly wealthy to cruise, ten years ago if you had told me I would cruise, I would have laughed, cause I don't play the Lottery
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:11   #24
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I have spent hours trying to glean the search results. Searching can be a real waste of time. I still do it but I might also post a question asked / answered before. If you are bored with the question pass on it.
That's not a problem and I absolutely pass on even opening 90% of the threads here let alone reading or posting. The google search feature is somewhat flawed in that it brings up individual posts of the same thread. So you have to pay attention to the thread name when scrolling down. It's a PITA but I do it A LOT. We had some pretty informative posters here a long time ago - and now - so I don't want to miss their input.

Quote:
Man, Mike, I totally disagree. This is an awesome database. The reason I think that it is preferred to search for old threads and add to them instead of starting a new one is that your adding on information to what is already here, in the database.

This month I learned quite a bit from reading a Malta thread (anchorages), All Went Wrong's saga (drop my anchor before abandoning), and Iridium Go. Some of these are item specific and having multiple threads covering the exact same topic just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 23-02-2017, 11:25   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I though the thread was a troll. Not that much has changed.

Same dreamers. Same curmudgeons. Same fear of libraries and books. If anything, the NG underappreciates what a gift the internet is, and how recent a gift that is, really only 20 years, for practical purposes.
Old 23-02-2017, 11:29   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

A64,

The Seattle Boats Afloat Show at Lake Union was full of big cats.
Ten years ago, I don't remember seeing any.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:08   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=rourkeh;2331983 It may just be me, but I was wondering why the overall change in content.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just you. Except that a lot of the more fun people to read from 5-7 years ago have been chased away by ............. there is mostly the same content. One of the reasons it may not seem that way is because after a while the threads you read if you have been here a long time change.
Old 23-02-2017, 12:12   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
A64,

The Seattle Boats Afloat Show at Lake Union was full of big cats.
Ten years ago, I don't remember seeing any.
See, that is my problem, I have never been to a boat show

However it seems maybe that the Marine industry is making a comeback, but its the very wealthy that is buying this time, not the working class?
I see that in Aviation, Big Biz jet manufacturers have a back log, while little airplane manufacturers have gone under.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:50   #29

"I have however noticed an interesting shift in the few years I have been on here, there used to be many more question about older 30ish ft Mono's, now it seems there is a whole lot about 50' Cats."

"The Seattle Boats Afloat Show at Lake Union was full of big cats.
Ten years ago, I don't remember seeing any."

In the past 40 years the average size house that is lived in by the average size family in the USA has doubled. While the size of said family has fallen.

So it stands to reason that when that average person sells it all up and goes cruising they will want a vessel twice as big as was previously seen as suitable in the past. They also probably have at least twice as much money in real terms from selling their larger house to spend on the vessel.

It is amazing that the younger generation is derided for spending there time on electronic devices and not getting out playing in the dirt, by the older generation typing into an internet forum.

Give it a few years and the snap chatting, Video blogging, whippersnappers will be the older generation complaining about the up coming generation of new Mr Fusion nuclear powered DeLoran cruising boats.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:11   #30

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I have been a member on here for about 7 years and have noticed a distinct change over the last year in the quality of the content in the posts. It seems it is veering away from the helpful type of posts about outfitting, repairing, and preparing cruising sailboats and has become more orientated towards new-bee's, cubicle dwelling daydreamers, and the geographically challenged. It may just be me, but I was wondering why the overall change in content.
It's you, but that's not meant to insult. Assuming you have been sailing consistently for over 7 years that is putting you in the expert category. And given your expertise I would expect you to find most of the posts here as repetive or issues well understood by you and your opinion likely well entrenched.

A more interesting question is why the need to disparage someone new to sailing, or working in a cube, or who lives in a flyover state , just becasue we haven't reached your level of ability or knowledge? We're working on it and that's why we post on this forum.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum