Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2024, 15:32   #1

finding a surveyor

How do I know if a surveyor is knowledgable and trustworthy? Is there a license or credential? Since I am a noob about 'boat health', I am easily fooled. I found a couple of boats that interest me. They 'look' ok - the hulls dont have bubbles, the prop turns and doesnt wobble,the winches spin, the standing rigging has no rust, the stanchions dont wobble, the sheets have little chafe, the interior is clean - but what do I know
cdocsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 15:55   #2

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: finding a surveyor

there are of course the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) and the National Association of Marine Surveyors (NAMS).
Word of mouth by fellow sailors who have used a surveyor and are happy with the surveyor's job.
Also, members on this forum could give you personal and valuable insight if you provided more information like vessel location, vessel information, etc.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 16:35   #3

Thank you. The internet makes finding one easy now

https://www.marinesurvey.org/surveyors/
Old 18-05-2024, 16:50   #4

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

Look I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer - but I wish my greatly credentialed Survor would have stayed home and I paid him not to show up. I would have been much better off - I would have done things to make sure my boat was it ship shape.

He missed everything but the check I wrote him. Found out after I took possession that the sliding windows were caulked shut. Windlass did not work and the chain and rope were rusted and worn out. The mortise lock on the cabin door was not only missing the thumb lock but the key was gone and could not be locked. I could go on but it is irritating me just thinking about it.

Get a recommendation - NOT ON THE INTERNET - get one from a boat owner from that area. Call a Marina and ask if they can recommend one or have someone that bought a boat recently.

Or do it yourself because you know how much you are spending you will do a much better job than a half *ssed surveyor. And yes I have had a surveyor that was unbelievable but he came from a recommendation of someone I trusted.

Good luck...
Love2 boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 16:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

True, marine surveyors run the gammit of excellent to poor.
Any Tom, Dick and Harry can pass themselves off as a marine surveyor.
The really good one's are booked weeks and even months ahead, whereas the the not so good one's are available on a day's notice.
Don't shop by price either, a good surveyor will spend all day on the boat and provide you with a written report thick as a telephone book. So so surveyors might spend an hour or two on the boat and provide you with a few pages of report.

For sure, ask for references, before picking one.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 18:02   #6

speaking of price,what should a 32foot boat survey cost?
Old 18-05-2024, 18:46   #7

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Where are you looking at boats?
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 06:09   #8

Within 100 miles of Boston
Old 19-05-2024, 08:33   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

We used Jeff Gonsalves to survey our Sabre 402 in Marion. He was thorough, knowledgeable and communicative throughout his inspection and in his written report. Friendly as well, while being completely professional. He was aware of things that we had no idea of, despite owning a 36' sloop for 20+ years. People call him in from all over the place, and he is busy: Jeffrey P. Gonsalves/ 220 Smith Neck Road/ S. Dartmouth, MA 02784
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 10:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdocsail View Post
speaking of price,what should a 32foot boat survey cost?
yesterday i make offer for one jeanneau 509 from 2016 180 000€ with tax. active charter i make visual survey 2 hour last. i watch engine,eletric,pipe,sail,mast ecc wife watch interior wood,bed.
now if i pay somebody cost me 2-3000€ survey i beter put this 3000€ in repair budget.
i find sail ,bimini is on end of life. need exchange for 2-3 year.

for you usually if you not skilled for repair all boat simply dont buy boat older of 5 year end story. or i when buying boat if boat need my action over 100 thing on boat i dont buy any price.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 10:56   #11

Boat: PDQ 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
We used Jeff Gonsalves to survey our Sabre 402 in Marion. He was thorough, knowledgeable and communicative throughout his inspection and in his written report. Friendly as well, while being completely professional. He was aware of things that we had no idea of, despite owning a 36' sloop for 20+ years. People call him in from all over the place, and he is busy: Jeffrey P. Gonsalves/ 220 Smith Neck Road/ S. Dartmouth, MA 02784
Plus 1 for Jeff Gonsalves
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, surveyor