Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-06-2010, 17:04   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Sudden Attraction to Hunters

I have to confess a sudden attraction to Hunter sailboats. I know this is not fashionable here because they are not considered "real" boats. So I started reading though various posts/threads here (1 I even started and had forgotten about) and on Sailnet. Seems there are lots of "I heard this..." and "I heard that...", but like most "stories" people can not provide real articles or links for a Hunter breaking apart. Not to say I wouldn't want to be caught in the perfert strom in one, but then I don't want to get caught in any such thing regardless and what are the odds of this anyway (tried of planning for the 0.1% odds)!

Really now - what's not to like? They are very roomly inside and in the cockpit. Have been around and regardless of what the purist thinks are not death traps. Yes they have short comings, but what boat doesn't unless you are going to spend $750k+ (and then it stilldoes). Some people say they flex too much, but compared to what? And you can stiffen it (but I wonder if that would just stress the hulls as flex is just give and everything flexes so it doesn't break). They tend to have low teal/wood so would have to find something other that sanding to waste time on. Yes I'm not sold on that BR rig without backstay, not because of mast stress but because of running ability. Yes the liner/hull construction can make it a pain to run wires etc, so what there are lots of ways to run wires etc.

One of the things I'm noticed is regardless of all the Hunter bashing is that the listed pricing for Hunters are pretty good (meaning not low compared to other boats). For the money you get around a 5-10 year younger boat compared to a "quality" boat. So when it comes down to it a used Hunter is probably a better buy.

So what am I missing? And for those that are going to start the bashing - PROVE IT with a link etc to something to back it up. If you have not owned or sailed on one or have a CLOSE real friend who has and have told you of something you are just spreading rumors.

And here is a link to just a boat I looked at, why isn't this a good cruiser where you are going to be living on the boat and once in a while have to do a long passage (ie you plan the trip and pick a provenweather window)?

1991 Hunter Passage Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tags
hunter