Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 20:07   #1

Hunter vs Catalina 36’

We have a C and C 32 footer and we are looking to buy a slightly larger boat with more room below and access opening at the stern for our dogs. We like the 36’ Hunter and the Catalina and want to keep the cost below $90k Canadian. What are your thoughts? Which boat would you recommend in that size?
Ianandkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 20:46   #2

Re: Hunter vs Catalina 36’

Hunter made a wide variety of 36 foot boats during the same time(s) that Catalina continued the same model with modest modifications.

It would be necessary to define the basis of your requested comparison.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:48   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Catalinas in general have a good reputation compared to other similarly priced boats. Hunter's reputation varies a bit more, so you may want to mention a few specific models you're looking at (they've made a lot). Some are well liked, others less so.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:18   #4

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I agree with rslifkin and Stu. Gotta know which models or at least what age range you are considering. I'm most cases, I'd take the Catalina over the Hunter.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:37   #5

We had a 93 Catalina 36. Best boat for sailing, staying together and comfort. Took it to Tahiti, Alaska and a couple of years on the east coast. It had a Universal diesel, just changed the oil and impeller. No trouble; if you read about some standard, the Catalina met it. Built like a brick outhouse.

Got it in LA new, sailed up and down the coast, to Mexico, Tahiti and up to Alaska. Shipped it to Mobile, thence up to the Great Lakes. Never had a problem with the boat. Well, it had a 6' keel, so I stuck it a couple of times on the east coast until I learned to watch the depth sounder. And a fisherman hit the boat when we were anchored in the Chesapeake, but the insurance covered that. Best decade of my life, loved the boat. Also learned a lot we didn't know.

Find a good one and enjoy life. Get a good survey.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 03:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ianandkaren

You can use Carl’s Sail Calculator to look up, and COMPARE*, sailboat dimensions, in a large database of boats, or enter your own boat's dimensions and compare it to the others. In addition, for any boat you can calculate a set of values that will help you measure how it will perform.
* Select one boat in each column, and press 'enter' to compare.
Sail Calculator Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:20   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Catalina has a great support system for spare parts (Catalina Direct), Blogs Catalina Owners. Org and others. Hunter not so much...

When I was considering buying a Hunter which needed some work , I was surprised how little there was out there for support.

Hunter gives you "a low ot boat for the money", but Catalina is more reputable.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:22   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We had a '79 Cherubini-designed Hunter 33 and it was a great boat, understanding the accommodations and systems were appropriate for its time of design and manufacture. Hunter discontinued the 33 in, I think, the early 80s and then brought back the 33 in the early 2000s. They were very different boats. I seem to recall they did something similar with the 36. As Stu said, more details are needed to provide any solid recommendations. What year Hunter, and what model specifically?

Not knowing any more, I agree with Greatest Lakes that based solely on reputation over time and as a general proposition I would take Catalina over Hunter, but that answer would not always be true when comparing specific years and models.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:44   #9

Boat: Seaward 25

Our friend used to work for Catalina and, over the years, owned a variety of Catalinas and others from 18 ft up to 42 ft. He says the Catalina 36 was his favorite of all the boats he owned.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:50   #10

Boat: previously Hunter 36.. now Carver 466 MY

We owned a 2007 Hunter 36 shoal draft for a few years. Having owned an older Hunter previously for alot of years - it was impressive to see how Hunter took user feedback over the years & incorporated it into their successive designs. Our 36 was actually a small outgrowth/modification from the Hunter 356 model, which was also hugely popular. Great hang out and sailing boat. Loved the in-mast furling mainsail. Yanmar 29hp engine, no troubles. Ours was well outfitted with 'huge' chartplotter, depth sounder, autopilot, vhf, at the helm. Added a California dodger & full bimini with EZ2CY panels in the front & roll up screens & removable eisenglass panels on the sides & rear. Carried a roll up dinghy on the foredeck, outboard on the stern rail. AC in the cabin. Standup shower in the head. Lots of storage space throughout the boat. Huge cockpit locker for a generator - or to use as a 'garage' for all your other boat stuff. Plus 2 lockers on the stern. Real queen size berth in the aft cabin, walk in v-berth. All in all, a great boat & a friend bought her for full price first couple days on the market & is now primarily club racing her in the Neuse River. (New Bern NC) (only reason we sold her was - joint decision with The Admiral at my house -- to go over to the dark side! )

All that being said? - we started out looking at & looking for - a Catalina 36! LoL Just found the right vintage & equipped Hunter we liked first. For our purposes - 'large' river & inshore/modest coastal cruising - she was super fine, and at typically a lower price point than a similar Catalina. (For the price point, we would have had to go for an older Catalina 36, with no air conditioning.-- a classic situation we boat buyers run into)

All this being said -- I'd agree with others also that the Catalina does seems to be a bit heavier built, and is an extremely capable and versatile boat, although not know for 'speed', for what thats worth in sailing!... We have friends who owned a Catalina 36 MkII for many years, & made many successful trips from the Chesapeake to the Bahamas, just fine.

Either way? I think you can't go wrong. Just be honest about 'what' you will really do with the boat - i.e., a heavy duty ocean crosser is not needed for inshore ICW type sailing -- and, visa versa -- a lighter coastal cruiser would be a bad choice if you plan to 'sail the 7 seas' for fun. "Just my 2 cents worth" Cheers & wish you the best shopping, finding & going!
Tsailor46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 11:11   #11

Boat: Hunter 38

FWIW I own a 2007 Hunter 38. I have been aboard several Catalina 38's of more or less the same vintage.

For the same money I'd select a Catalina. I think their cockpit layout is better, the cockpit table design better, the layout below slightly better esp the V berth.

However, I think you'll find there's a price delta between Catalina and Hunter for exactly those reasons and you won't find them in the same condish for the same money.

In my case, my hand was forced due to limited supply.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 14:06   #12

Boat: Leopard 45

I owned a Hunter 34 for 20 years. I was actually looking for a Catalina 30, but the price of the hunter got me. I agree with other posts that claim the Catalina to be a bit better built, but you will get more boat for your buck with a Hunter.
cheers, and smooth sailing
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 14:29   #13

Boat: Catalina 36

We have a Catalina 36and let me tell what I think are the high points of the boat.
1. Parts are still available from Catalina Direct and other suppliers.
2. The support forum at catalina36.org
3. The flexibility of the interior. In the salon models, you can remove the large table and make a mosh pit and if (if it just the two of you cruising) you still have the gaming table to eat off. Back room for the kids or guests with a decent size cockpit.
4. Engine access is full and easy and the Universal Kubota diesel is a snap to maintain...
5. It well built and holds it resale value. They don't stay on the market too long.
6. Very good sailor even the shoal keel model.
&. Something must be right cause they made over 2000 of the 36's.
Good luck in your search.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 15:14   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Hunter made a wide variety of 36 foot boats during the same time(s) that Catalina continued the same model with modest modifications.

It would be necessary to define the basis of your requested comparison.
There are a variety of Catalina 36 (+/-) available. At 36 there are the Mark I and Mark II, which are quite different. Had the latter for a time and it is an impressive boat for the money - Mark II versions are substantially more expensive than I boats. Should fit in your budget, just. There are newer boats as well but much more expensive. I think the Mark II is a better boat than the newer 350.
Old 13-10-2021, 15:21   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

A Hunter 356 is a Great couples boat and will be under budget. Its a Cruising World Hall of Fame boat

Tags
catalina, catalina 36, hunter