Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2022, 12:27   #1

Importing a boat to Canada

We are looking at a Passport 40 (built in Taiwan) currently moored in Panama but registered in Holland.
I have been reading up on what the costs will be to bring it back to Canada but I wanted to see if I have got it correct.
I read that boats from the EU are now duty free however I think that just applies to boats made in the EU, not registered in the EU.
So, that would mean a boat made in Taiwan (no matter where it lives or where it is registered) would be subject to the 9.5% import tax as well as the 12% GST/PST in BC?
This makes it so unaffordable.
Am I missing anything?
Sylvia Lindgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 12:38   #2

Re: Importing a boat to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Lindgren View Post
We are looking at a Passport 40 (built in Taiwan) currently moored in Panama but registered in Holland.
I have been reading up on what the costs will be to bring it back to Canada but I wanted to see if I have got it correct.
I read that boats from the EU are now duty free however I think that just applies to boats made in the EU, not registered in the EU.
So, that would mean a boat made in Taiwan (no matter where it lives or where it is registered) would be subject to the 9.5% import tax as well as the 12% GST/PST in BC?
Am I missing anything?
This is correct.

When we bought our boat in Europe (from Europe), we ended up deciding not to bring it back here. That means we never owed the tax on it (it's only due upon bringing the vessel into Canada).
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 12:46   #3

We have about four years before we head south by boat so want to sail the gulf islands and desolation sound till then. We both work for the school district so can only sail in July and August. Keeping the boat somewhere else reduces accessibility.
Old 23-08-2022, 17:30   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

You have it pretty much correct. However, something to ponder... if you are able to register it, home port edmonton alberta, It saves the pst. You only have the 5%gst
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 17:38   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Just out of curiosity, does the year of the vessel manufacture make any difference.
For example a boat build in the US before NFTA and after.

Cheers
Old 23-08-2022, 17:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Just out of curiosity, does the year of the vessel manufacture make any difference.
For example a boat build in the US before NFTA and after.

Cheers
No, NAFTA built boats are exempt from duty but not sales tax.
Old 23-08-2022, 17:52   #7

In addition to the customs duty and the GST taxation, there is the need to have the vessel be compliant with emissions standards which could cost A LOT for a repowering if the engine is not compliant with the current standards.

Reference link:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-7-4-eng.html

Importation of Engines, Vehicles, Vessels and Machines
Memorandum D19-7-4
ISSN 2369-2391

Ottawa, November 29 2019

Requirements under the Engine, Vehicle, Vessel and Machine Emission Regulations

In accordance with sections 153 and 154 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, no company or person shall import any vehicle, engine, vessels or machines unless: (a) the engine, vehicle, or vessel conforms to the prescribed standards;
(b) evidence of such conformity has been obtained and produced in the prescribed form and manner;
(c) prescribed information relating to standards for emissions from the engine, vehicle or vessel has been submitted;
(d) information is marked on the engine, vehicle or vessel in accordance with the regulations;
(e) if required by the regulations, prescribed documentation or accessories accompany the vehicle, engine, vessel or machine;
(f) prescribed information relating to the operation or use of the engine, vehicle, vessel or machine is disseminated in the prescribed form and manner;
(g) records are maintained and furnished in the prescribed form and manner in relation to the design, manufacture, testing and field performance of the engine, vehicle, vessel or machine; and
(h) in the case of engines, the company maintains a registration system in the prescribed form and manner.

. . .

6. The import requirements apply to the following regulated engines, vehicles, vessels and machines:

. . .

(o) Spark-ignited outboard engines, inboard engines and personal watercraft engines;

(p) a vessel, in which a fuel line or fuel tank is installed;
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 17:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Lindgren View Post
Am I missing anything?
If you buy the boat and register in Canada, no duties or taxes are payable until the boat touches Canadian water. Lots of Canadian boats in the Carib that have never paid duty or taxes.
Old 23-08-2022, 17:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you buy the boat and register in Canada, no duties or taxes are payable until the boat touches Canadian water. Lots of Canadian boats in the Carib that have never paid duty or taxes.
Scroll back, I mentioned that but the OP stated they aren't quite ready to leave the boat outside of Canada.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 18:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
In addition to the customs duty and the GST taxation, there is the need to have the vessel be compliant with emissions standards which could cost A LOT for a repowering if the engine is not compliant with the current standards.

Reference link:

Memorandum D19-7-4
ISSN 2369-2391

Ottawa, November 29 2019

In accordance with sections 153 and 154 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, no company or person shall import any vehicle, engine, vessels or machines unless: (a) the engine, vehicle, or vessel conforms to the prescribed standards;
(b) evidence of such conformity has been obtained and produced in the prescribed form and manner;
(c) prescribed information relating to standards for emissions from the engine, vehicle or vessel has been submitted;
(d) information is marked on the engine, vehicle or vessel in accordance with the regulations;
(e) if required by the regulations, prescribed documentation or accessories accompany the vehicle, engine, vessel or machine;
(f) prescribed information relating to the operation or use of the engine, vehicle, vessel or machine is disseminated in the prescribed form and manner;
(g) records are maintained and furnished in the prescribed form and manner in relation to the design, manufacture, testing and field performance of the engine, vehicle, vessel or machine; and
(h) in the case of engines, the company maintains a registration system in the prescribed form and manner.

. . .

6. The import requirements apply to the following regulated engines, vehicles, vessels and machines:

. . .

(o) Spark-ignited outboard engines, inboard engines and personal watercraft engines;

Correct ... However I do about 50 Tonnage Measurement and Canadian Registrations per year and have never heard of that being enforced or even questioned on the registry forms.
Old 23-08-2022, 19:24   #11

Sylvia sez: "Am I missing anything?"

Well, yes. I rather think you are :-) Why would you even contemplate what you are proposing when the Salish Sea - Straits of Georgia - is chockablock with functionally equivalent boats already LICENCED in Canada (NOT REGISTERED which is a different and more complex thing).

No import duty on them, but of course you cannot escape GST and PST. That is the glory of being Canadian :-)!

A Fast Passage 39, a splendid William Garden design, just in from a circumnavigation, fully found and ready to go again the day tomorrow, sold in my marina two summers ago for a pittance for such a boat: Can$65K!

It is NOT always true that the grass is greener, or the boats are better, or cheaper, "on the other side".

Since you live in the mountains, and you are proposing to spend major money, you might like to do a "dry run" by contacting The JibSet, a sailing club operated by Cooper Yachts on Granville Island in Vancouver, to get a feel for what it's actually like to cruise the Salish Sea. Cooper's will tell you that cruising within that ginormous breakwater we call Vancouver Island is NOTHING like crossing oceans. A few grand spent at the JibSet (Or the associated sailing school) will tell you whether spending big money on the dream of going "blue water" is something you really, really want to do. Here is a link:

https://www.cooperboating.com/community-and-clubs/

Could it even be that the Passport, being Dutch registered, is for sale in Panama because the present owner found that dicing with Neptune was not for him/her :-)?

All the best to you,

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 20:55   #12

FYI:

The penalties for breaking the environmental regulations are vigorous.

The following table represents the monetary penalty regime under the Environmental Enforcement Act that
amends the fines, sentencing provisions and enforcement tools of six acts administered by ECCC, including CEPA

Fine Regime under the Environmental Enforcement Act
Offender Type of Offence
Type of offense:
Individuals - Most serious offences Summary: minimum $5 000 maximum $300 000; with indictment minimum $15 000, maximum $1 Million.

Other offences: Summary minimum N/A, maximum $25 000 with indictment minimum N/A, maximum $100 000
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 21:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
You have it pretty much correct. However, something to ponder... if you are able to register it, home port edmonton alberta, It saves the pst. You only have the 5%gst
That’s an interesting idea. My sister lives in Edmonton.
Old 24-08-2022, 03:24   #14

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
FYI:

The penalties for breaking the environmental regulations are vigorous.

The following table represents the monetary penalty regime under the Environmental Enforcement Act that
amends the fines, sentencing provisions and enforcement tools of six acts administered by ECCC, including CEPA

Fine Regime under the Environmental Enforcement Act
Offender Type of Offence
Type of offense:
Individuals - Most serious offences Summary: minimum $5 000 maximum $300 000; with indictment minimum $15 000, maximum $1 Million.

Other offences: Summary minimum N/A, maximum $25 000 with indictment minimum N/A, maximum $100 000
I imported my boat into Canada from the US 2 years ago and there was no mention made of these insane regulations (thank God).
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 05:22   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

Reference link:

Memorandum D19-7-4
ISSN 2369-2391

Ottawa, November 29 2019

. . .

. . .

I don't think I've ever seen this enforced. Certainly not when I imported my vessel (and the same for others I know off) Likely CBSA has no idea these regulations even exist!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada, import