Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2024, 08:03   #76

Re: Can I Get Cans of Corned Beef in Cabo San Lucas or LA Paz Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You can tell a lot about a person meat by the company they keep.
Woolworths, Australia
Ah, it's good to see that the Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie are available in Australia!
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:18   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
" This is the part of the pig that Americans call "Bacon" and they fry the hell out of it, so that it is crisp."

I'm a native born American from the US. It is correct that some people like crisp bacon. I am not among them, and I like the fat rendered out, but the bacon meat NOT crisp. There's got to be a variation among households, depending on taste and vulnerability to public health messages.

Where do Irish turkeys come from? If imported, when, historically, was the breeding stock imported?

Ann
I can't understand why they don't eat Back Bacon, which has a much higher meat to fat ratio. In Ireland the Streaky Bacon, from the belly is regarded as a particularly cheap cut, due to the fat content.

In Ireland, turkeys are raised, for the Christmas trade, by farmers all over the country, as a profitable sideline, and are generally free-range.
Traditionally, a goose and a ham joint were served on Christmas Day, but in the late 19th Century, due to Queen Victoria's liking for turkey at Christmas, that bird became the most popular festive fowl, so I would say that was the time of their first arrival in Ireland.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:47   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
Right. Corned beef is definitely an Irish American immigrant thing, not an Irish thing. In Ireland, they lived close to or on the land and didn't need cured meat (they just needed to stop the English from stealing it, which they weren't too successful at, which is why they ended up in in America).

I never heard the bacon story, but I think Irish American immigrants ate corned beef for the smae reason Jewish immigrants did. They were largely an urban population in America before refrigeration, they didn't have lot of moeny, and corned beef was available and cheap.
Yes and no, beef and mutton were generally eaten fresh, by those who could afford them, but the poorer people would raise a pig or two, which would be killed and butchered late in the year, when they grown to a sufficient weight. In the absence of refrigeration, (or even electricity),the only method of preserving the meat was to cure it in brine, to make bacon.
The bacon (including the ham) that was required to last until at least Christmas, or even until the spring of the following year, was also smoked as well.
With regard to the English (or more generally Anglo-Irish) landowners, it wasn't a matter of them "stealing" the meat, but the fact that the tenant farmers had to raise animals and crops to pay the rents, either in cash or in kind, that were so high that the poorest farmers were left with a subsistence diet consisting mainly of potatoes, which would grow on marginal land that was of little use for anything else.
From the 17th to the early 20th century, Cork City was a major export hub for the export of Irish food products to supply the British Royal Navy and the Colonies. Salt beef, butter and cheese would have made up the vast majority of those exports, the southern half of the country being the prime area for raising cattle.
Tying up meat, Ireland and those of the Jewish faith; there was, in the 19th and early part of the 20th century, a sizeable population of Jews in Dublin, one suburb being popularly known as "Little Jerusalem", but since the formation of the state of Israel they have largely moved away, to the point that there is not a single kosher butcher to be found. I once heard a well-known Jewish gallery-owner, in a radio interview, saying that if he wanted kosher meat he would go to the Halal shop!
Old 01-01-2024, 09:02   #79

We used to use it on the boat and found that canned Corned Beef from New Zealand was always superior.
I don't know if that's still true or not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 17:56   #80

The bacon I got doesn't get crispy unless you cook it a long time. I like the extra fat, I put it in my coffee and it tastes delicious.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 18:06   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Just don't eat too much of it as corned beef is high is sodium and fat and is a processed food which can cause cancer.

Corned Beef Hash though is good every now and then.

Yeah it'd be better to eat fresh meat but that's simply not an option right now. I'd bet I'm healthier than people eating a more traditional diet of mostly carbs.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 19:25   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Maybe he confused it with a Ruben sandwich? :-)

BTW by far the best Reuben sandwich I had was at Katz’s Deli on Manhattan… you know, the one from When Harry met Sally

Ah, yes, a wonderful deli, around even before the movie was made, like by a generation or two. I left NYC in 1975 but had a Last Farewell there.

However you wanna spell Reuben Ruben, I've always preferred it without the Russian dressing, which is only ketchup and mayonnaise anyway. Mustard is better on real corned beef and on a Reuben Ruben. Ketchup on something made for mustard is as bad as putting ketchup on a hot dog (and I've been known to place a bet that I'd put ketchup on chocolate ice cream - I love ketchup dearly but there's a time and a place for it, and I am not a betting man). Besides ketchup is either getting a bad name from being thrown at walls by he who will not be named or is resurgent - I prefer the latter but not on hot dog, ever...

Here in Canada one cannot source canned corned beef hash, which I really enjoy (my damned family calls it Dog Food!!!). I still have two cans left from my pirate days marauding the San Juan Islands.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
Yeah it'd be better to eat fresh meat but that's simply not an option right now. I'd bet I'm healthier than people eating a more traditional diet of mostly carbs.
Regarding the idea of bacon fat in coffee; all I can say is "Yeukk!"
About the original question:
You say that you don't have refrigeration, but do you have a coolbox?

My wife once had to instruct a course on a boat that only had a coolbox, no refrigeration. When she was victualling the boat, she bought among other things, some frozen meats and most importantly, a bag of ice and a (small) frozen turkey. During the first 2-3 days the smaller pieces of meat were taken out and allowed to thaw out when required. They also caught some fish, and bought some fish from fishermen in a small harbour they visited.
The interior of the coolbox stayed cold enough to preserve the cooked meats, like ham, and dare I say it, sliced corned beef , that were used for sandwiches. By the end of the week, the turkey had thawed out enough that a couple of hours at room temperature were enough to thawed completely, whereupon it was roasted, and devoured by the five French trainees, who had never experienced freshly roasted turkey before.
My suggestion is, if you have a coolbox, to follow a similar course of action, so as to have fresh meats for at least the first few days of your voyages, although a small chicken would suffice, in your case, rather than a turkey, and double up on the bags of ice, considering that your location is considerably warmer than Ireland in Spring!
Oh, and why not learn to fish?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:19   #84

Boat: Buccaneer 240

I got to page 5 on this and decided to go make corned beef hash for breakfast. I start with the canned stuff. Add 1 or 2 Jalapenos and an onion. Top it with a couple Eggs over easy. It is fairly quick and simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240102_114439214.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	284994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240102_114936145.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	284995  

Old 02-01-2024, 12:29   #85

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The Argentinians have declared war on Ireland. They have taken the keys off the top of the corned beef tins.
low key the British are to blame!! lol
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 14:31   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
No one said to make a Ruben with canned corned beef. The Ruben reference was to Chotu saying he’s never had corned beef. Of course a Ruben is only made with “real” corned beef. I’m not a complete savage. Now that that’s cleared up….
I dont get the craving often but when I do its straight to the store for rye bread and corned beef. Sauerkraut is in the fridge. Happened 2 days ago. Best sandwich going. I will have to try canned corned beef Reuben. You never know.lol
kenhep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 15:06   #87

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry View Post
I got to page 5 on this and decided to go make corned beef hash for breakfast. I start with the canned stuff. Add 1 or 2 Jalapenos and an onion. Top it with a couple Eggs over easy. It is fairly quick and simple.
This thread has had me drooling which I guess is why it is up to 6 pages and going strong.
For breakfast recipe try spreading the corned beef hash in a backing pan spicing it how you like then just crack eggs on top of the mixture. Throw it in the oven till eggs are cooked how you like them. Yum and what I normally make for Christmas morning.
Old 02-01-2024, 18:30   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ah, yes, a wonderful deli, around even before the movie was made, like by a generation or two. I left NYC in 1975 but had a Last Farewell there.

However you wanna spell Reuben Ruben, I've always preferred it without the Russian dressing, which is only ketchup and mayonnaise anyway. Mustard is better on real corned beef and on a Reuben Ruben. Ketchup on something made for mustard is as bad as putting ketchup on a hot dog (and I've been known to place a bet that I'd put ketchup on chocolate ice cream - I love ketchup dearly but there's a time and a place for it, and I am not a betting man). Besides ketchup is either getting a bad name from being thrown at walls by he who will not be named or is resurgent - I prefer the latter but not on hot dog, ever...

Here in Canada one cannot source canned corned beef hash, which I really enjoy (my damned family calls it Dog Food!!!). I still have two cans left from my pirate days marauding the San Juan Islands.

You can get it there thats were I first had it, Unless we are talking two differnet things, and I still see it in grocery stores. I am from Duncan.
kenhep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la paz, Mexico