Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2023, 15:59   #61

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Can I Get Cans of Corned Beef in Cabo San Lucas or LA Paz Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Corned beef is not an Irish food. If you order it there, you will get nothing but a puzzled look.

Being an American of Irish descent, I've heard that immigrants would buy corned beef from Jewish delis as a substitute for Irish bacon, which generally is not available here.

Also, don't confuse Irish bacon with the thin strips we Americans consume. It ain't the same thing.
Right. Corned beef is definitely an Irish American immigrant thing, not an Irish thing. In Ireland, they lived close to or on the land and didn't need cured meat (they just needed to stop the English from stealing it, which they weren't too successful at, which is why they ended up in in America).

I never heard the bacon story, but I think Irish American immigrants ate corned beef for the smae reason Jewish immigrants did. They were largely an urban population in America before refrigeration, they didn't have lot of moeny, and corned beef was available and cheap.
Old 30-12-2023, 16:05   #62

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We cruised one year without refrigeration. Sailed SF, Mexico, FP, HI, and return to SF. I agree with Jedi that if it is going to be canned corned beef, the Argentine is best. Here is one of the things we did with corned beef.

Corned Beef & Vegetable Roll

Mix 2c. flour, 1/2 t. salt, 2 t. baking powder, and rub in 2 T. shortening [whatever you have that will work, bacon fat or chicken fat will work] until crumbly. Add just enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll out in to a rectangle 1/4" (6mm) thick.

Chop 2 onions and combine with corned beef, slice 2 carrots thin, slice potato roughly 1/4", chopped cabbage. Add enough lightly moistened tomato paste [1tsp water to 1 tbsp paste] to mix/bind it all together, spread onto your rectangle of dough. Add pepper.

Roll up the dough and meat mixture and pinch ends.. Brush top with milk. (We used powdered whole milk, reconsituted.) Place on a cookie sheet with edges or in a roasting pan so no juices run out into the oven.

Bake in a medium oven (350 d. F or about 180 d. C) for about an hour till the veg are cooked and the dough is golden brown.

You can make some onion gravy to serve with it, and mustard of your choice.

Serve with thick onion gravy, mustard on the side, if you like.

I found this more edible than just using corned beef mixed with minced onion spread on crackers (cabin biscuits) with mustard...which we sometimes had for lunch.

Ann
I'm surprised to hear you can find Argentinean corned beef for sale - all I have ever seen in SA is Uruguayan and Brazilian.
I know there is an 'Argentina' brand produced in the Phillipines.
Can't abide the stuff myself.
Old 30-12-2023, 16:30   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for the Huzarensalada recipe, Jedi.

@ El Ping. We bought it in Mexico before crossing to the Marquesas. Absolutely the most edible tinned corned beef we ever found, and not too salty, either. IMO, not at all a substitute for bacon. The corned beef west of Mexico usually has lots more fat in it, and mystery bits that we would discard or use for bait, not to our taste.

Ann
Old 30-12-2023, 16:32   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What I remember most about tinned corned beef is the regional differences. The sort we bought in the States and in Mexico (long ago) was IIRC sourced in various South American areas, and it was pretty good stuff. Low fat content and pretty much solid meat.

Once into the South Pacific the sources were Fiji and some from the Philippines. It was very high fat content, little solid meat, stuff that appeared to be from unusual parts of the cow in general. Kinda nasty to my taste, but apparently the island folk really liked the fat content and didn't mind the other facets of the contents, and the customer is always right, right?

But we did occasionally use it as Ann has said, and when hungry it wasn't bad!

Jim

^^^^^ Hmm... seems we were typing at the same time once again!
Old 30-12-2023, 17:14   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Libby’s is the original and very good. Hereford just as good and recently we tried the Walmart brand GreatValue and that was good as well.

We refrigerate it before opening to make it easier to get out the can and to cut it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 17:50   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Libby’s is the original and very good. Hereford just as good and recently we tried the Walmart brand GreatValue and that was good as well.

We refrigerate it before opening to make it easier to get out the can and to cut it.
https://www.mashed.com/748873/canned...worst-to-best/

Two Brazilian and Libby isn't saying where they source theirs.
Must give it a go one day but I must say my last corned beef encounter didn't go well.

Both Australia and NZ export assorted canned meats into the SW Pacific and play a significant role in Pacifika health problems.
Old 30-12-2023, 18:00   #67

You can tell a lot about a person meat by the company they keep.
Woolworths, Australia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corned dog.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	284909  
Old 31-12-2023, 02:42   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
https://www.mashed.com/748873/canned...worst-to-best/

Two Brazilian and Libby isn't saying where they source theirs.
Must give it a go one day but I must say my last corned beef encounter didn't go well.

Both Australia and NZ export assorted canned meats into the SW Pacific and play a significant role in Pacifika health problems.
So Libby’s and Hereford are #1 and #2 so I got that right, right?

Old 31-12-2023, 12:01   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I eat it no more than once per year, on St. Patrick's day, which is a tradition. I would think most grocery stores would have it around then, not a popular as turkey on thanksgiving, but same idea. You should try it, but not from a can. Get it from the meat counter.

Corned beef is a beef brisket that is brined, and cooked in a crock pot. You can throw cabbage, potatoes, and carrots in there too.
Somewhat off topic:
In Ireland there is no tradition of eating Boiled beef and Cabbage. The traditional repast, if there is one,on St., Patrick's Day, is Bacon and Cabbage.
In the British Isles (Great Britain and Ireland), and perhaps Canada, the whole pig is cured for bacon, particular breeds being used for this purpose that differ from pork pigs. The back leg is the premium part and is referred to as the Gammon or Ham, and is sold whole, or cut up into joints of greater or lesser quality, depending on whether they are the Fillet, the Slipper or the Shank. The meat from the head is used, even the brain, the fatty parts of the neck and jowl are sliced up and sold to those who want to cover the breast of their turkey with them when roasting, to keep it moist. the shoulder is sold whole or "boned and rolled", for boiling The Back can be cut up into joints, of greater or lesser quality, depending on their fat content, the more desirable parts being the lower sections, for boiling, or sliced up for grilling or frying, into what we in Ireland call "Rashers". Likewise the belly, which we call the "Streaky", on account of the fact that when sliced into rashers it has a streaked appearance due to the interspersed thin lines of meat and fat. This is the part of the pig that Americans call "Bacon" and they fry the hell out of it, so that it is crisp.
When in the 19th and early 20th century the Irish immigrants arrived in the USA they found that their traditional bacon joints were not available, they substituted salt, or "corned" beef as it had a vaguely similar appearance to bacon when cooked, and was cheap and widely available as it was popular with the Jewish community, but as I said, was not a popular dish in their home country.
Regarding the OP's topic: Could I suggest the popular standby of British and Irish yachtsmen; Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 12:09   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So Libby’s and Hereford are #1 and #2 so I got that right, right?
Yes, I'm impressed. The last corned beef I bought was in Uruguay. It was gross, even stray dogs turned their noses up at it.

I was just puzzled at the Argentina thing. Their beef industry is stuffed - I believe they now export less beef than Uruguay. Government price controls meant that ranchers got out of beef and went into soy instead.
Interesting in that survey is that 'Argentina' brand is produced in the US for export to the Philipines.
Old 31-12-2023, 12:17   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

" This is the part of the pig that Americans call "Bacon" and they fry the hell out of it, so that it is crisp."

I'm a native born American from the US. It is correct that some people like crisp bacon. I am not among them, and I like the fat rendered out, but the bacon meat NOT crisp. There's got to be a variation among households, depending on taste and vulnerability to public health messages.

Where do Irish turkeys come from? If imported, when, historically, was the breeding stock imported?

Ann
Old 31-12-2023, 12:30   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yes, I'm impressed. The last corned beef I bought was in Uruguay. It was gross, even stray dogs turned their noses up at it.

I was just puzzled at the Argentina thing. Their beef industry is stuffed - I believe they now export less beef than Uruguay. Government price controls meant that ranchers got out of beef and went into soy instead.
Interesting in that survey is that 'Argentina' brand is produced in the US for export to the Philipines.
I’m pretty sure the beef origin varies… Hereford came from Argentina when I was a kid. It doesn’t really matter because beef from the whole of South America is good, even from Venezuela it was top quality.
So it comes down to the brand, what cuts of beef they use etc. Brazil is a fast growing BRICS economy, which is why it’s already being sanctioned and boycotted by the West for all kinds of woke reasons. They pulled the cans with corned beef from the shelves in Holland because of some reason like deforestation… like if we didn’t take all our forests down to gain high standards of living

Old 31-12-2023, 13:16   #73

Boat: Bristol 27

Just don't eat too much of it as corned beef is high is sodium and fat and is a processed food which can cause cancer.

Corned Beef Hash though is good every now and then.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:54   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The Argentinians have declared war on Ireland. They have taken the keys off the top of the corned beef tins.
Corned beef from cans, sliced, was once a cheap standby in Ireland for making sandwiches to go in school or workers' lunch-boxes towards the end of the week when the good sliced cooked ham or roast beef had run out, but nowadays has little or no popularity.
In my first job, in a small supermarket in the mid-1960s, we used to stock those 3lb cans of Argentinian Corned, (or "Cereal" ) Beef. It used to be sold at the Provisions Counter, where we sold bacon in all its varieties, cooked meats, cheeses and salami-type sausages.
There was no key on the can - we used to take the top off it using a large can opener mounted on a bench, operated by a hand crank, having first immersed it for a few minutes in hot water to melt the fat adhering the meat to the interior of the can. When a few holes were chopped into the bottom of the can with a meat cleaver the vacuum was broken and the meat would slide out in one piece. It would then it would be wrapped in greaseproof paper and put in the fridge until required for slicing.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:00   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Thanks for the Huzarensalada recipe, Jedi.

@ El Ping. We bought it in Mexico before crossing to the Marquesas. Absolutely the most edible tinned corned beef we ever found, and not too salty, either. IMO, not at all a substitute for bacon. The corned beef west of Mexico usually has lots more fat in it, and mystery bits that we would discard or use for bait, not to our taste.

Ann
Corned beef in cans is absolutely not a substitute for bacon, either the crispy-fried American variety nor the bacon sold in Ireland, where all parts of the carcase are used, and cooking methods other than frying or grilling.

Tags
la paz, Mexico