Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 10:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

what plotter can use Active captian with explorer charts?

I cruised last time (3 year ago to the bahamas) with my small garmin with explorer charts. We also used an ipad with garmin blue chart and active captain on it. As well as the explorer chartbooks. This seemed to work great for us.

I am now in the market for a new chartplotter. I notice that the Garmin blue chart won't work any longer.

What is everyone using these days? I could use a new chart plotter, but as we don't cruise but every few years, I don't want to break the bank on a bunch of soon-to-be -obsolete electronics.

TIA

rich
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:50   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: what plotter can use Active captian with explorer charts?

B&G Zeus plotter with C-map charts. Check to make sure you get the one that is Explorer based. Newest chip is supposed to have active captain on it as well.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
I cruised last time (3 year ago to the bahamas) with my small garmin with explorer charts. We also used an ipad with garmin blue chart and active captain on it. As well as the explorer chartbooks. This seemed to work great for us.

I am now in the market for a new chartplotter. I notice that the Garmin blue chart won't work any longer.

What is everyone using these days? I could use a new chart plotter, but as we don't cruise but every few years, I don't want to break the bank on a bunch of soon-to-be -obsolete electronics.

TIA

rich
This may not be the answer you want, but I think it may help you.

Since you don't want to invest in expensive electronics like a chartplotter that may be quickly obsolete, and since you own an iPad, you may find the discussion in these recent threads helpful.

An inexpensive ($4.99) but robustly featured, intuitive, easy to learn and use navigation app that uses free NOAA charts:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ws-201624.html

And this one about Active Captain being discontinued on some devices:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-198436.html

And this one which has more comments and alternatives for iPad apps and models and accessories for use while navigating:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-197434.html

And this post and following ones about using Garmin Blue Charts and Active Captain in 2018:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2525655
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:20   #4

Our Ipad still runs Garmin Blue Charts with Active Captain, ran it 5 minutes ago.

We are in the Bahamas currently using our 4 year old Garmin Fishfinder plotter, apparently the data card can be updated, but best to do online with a fast data connection (back in the USA). We also run Navionics on a Raymarine widescreen plotter, but is not as accurate as the Garmin charts.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 13:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Our Ipad still runs Garmin Blue Charts with Active Captain, ran it 5 minutes ago.

Mine too, but I’m waiting for the next IOS update to kill it.
How many apps have you had say that they won’t work with the new IOS, they need to be updated?
It’s a matter of time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 13:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

I bought a new ipad for this purpose. won't work.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:34   #7

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Just talked to West Marine-Ft Lauderdale. They said all garmin chartplotters use Explorer charts for the Bahamas. iNavX app for Android and iPad also use explorer charts for the bahamas. My understanding is Active Captain is in flux, I wouldn't make purchase decisions based on Active Captain availability or lack thereof.

Fred
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:24   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post

We are in the Bahamas currently using our 4 year old Garmin Fishfinder plotter, apparently the data card can be updated, but best to do online with a fast data connection (back in the USA). We also run Navionics on a Raymarine widescreen plotter, but is not as accurate as the Garmin charts.
If you previously installed Garmin Bluecharts Mobile on the iPad, you can still use it and any charts you purchased. But you cannot get chart updates or purchase new charts. Active Captain, on the other hand, will update on the iPad. I am still using Bluecharts on the iPad, but I am cautious because I have already seen ATON's in different locations than Bluechart says.

According to Garmin (I talked to them), if you have a Garmin device (chartplotter or even handheld) with Bluecharts installed, you can port the charts you purchase for that device onto an iPad. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually done this.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Just talked to West Marine-Ft Lauderdale. They said all garmin chartplotters use Explorer charts for the Bahamas. iNavX app for Android and iPad also use explorer charts for the bahamas. My understanding is Active Captain is in flux, I wouldn't make purchase decisions based on Active Captain availability or lack thereof.

Fred
I don't think that is true, as when we cruised Bahamas in 2016, we had our B&G chartplotter loaded with C-Map Explorer chart chip, and an i-pad with Garmin Blue Chart running alongside. We would look at both when entering an anchorage, and there were times when the charts were different. And I know the C-Map chip was explorer chart based, as listed on their website:

https://www.explorercharts.com/index...id=5&Itemid=54

I'd contact the people at Explorer to confirm before buying anyone else's chip. Or depending on another program for the Bahamas.
Old 26-05-2018, 10:51   #10

I use Aqua Map on my iPad
Ram mount on the dash board.
Aqua Map will download all NOAA ENCs.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 18:56   #11

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I have a I pad and A Garmin chart plotter 7 inch touch screen Im in Clearwater so we need 2 chips One west coat and the other bahamas. We get active captain on the i pad. and we plot a course and its sent bluetooth to the chart plotter. works slick !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:20   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

St. Augustine cruisers net had the opportunity to host Sail Magazine back in 2016 for the sailing south seminar with Mark Doyle and Monty/Sara of Explorer Charts. As a moderator we both got to attend. We were told directly by Monty that as of 2016, Garmin no longer licensed explorer charts data but that data was still available through Jeppson and C-Map.

However, with Garmin acquiring Active Captain last year, all of the new Garmin plotters (2018 models like the 742xs) offer active captain data fully integrated into plotter and can be updated over wifi.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
St. Augustine cruisers net had the opportunity to host Sail Magazine back in 2016 for the sailing south seminar with Mark Doyle and Monty/Sara of Explorer Charts. As a moderator we both got to attend. We were told directly by Monty that as of 2016, Garmin no longer licensed explorer charts data but that data was still available through Jeppson and C-Map.

However, with Garmin acquiring Active Captain last year, all of the new Garmin plotters (2018 models like the 742xs) offer active captain data fully integrated into plotter and can be updated over wifi.
Just to be clear, C-Map charts are by Jeppeson (it's the same company).

I also talked to the C-Map rep recently, and in one release last year the Max N+ chip for B&G Zeus plotters had Active Captain on the chip, but then a subsequent software change by B&G caused some issues and the AC data was removed on the next chip update. B&G has supposedly fixed that problem and C-Map's next release is again supposed to have the Active Captain data on the chip. Thru that date of release. There is no provision for intermediate updates of AD data over wifi, etc.
Old 29-08-2018, 19:33   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
what plotter can use Active captian with explorer charts?

There is a section on the explorer charts website that lists all the charts that include explorer data.

https://explorercharts.com/chatter/?page_id=8936
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:28   #15

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Zboss is correct Garmin has purchased active captain and all there newer units and blue chart chips are blue charts are active captain friendly. So if you have a older 741 I would think, and im guessing, that a new chip would do the trick ? !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts