Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 03:05   #1

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
ActiveCaptain discontinued?

I just got an email notifying me that ActiveCaptain is being discontinued effective May 23, 2018. I haven't been able to confirm it. Here's the forum post: ActiveCaptain discontinuation
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:12   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: ActiveCaptain discontinued?

Garmin has disabled data sharing with third parties under the existing agreements.

So active captain is still around, being built to Garmins own vision. Unfortunately to the loss o other uses.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:12   #3

I find it hard to believe... but perhaps they'll make it a "Garmin Only" sort of thing. That would be a huge problem.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Garmin has disabled data sharing with third parties under the existing agreements.

So active captain is still around, being built to Garmins own vision. Unfortunately to the loss o other uses.
Oh! So you're saying all the other mapping apps that use it will no longer be able to do so? Well... that makes the AquaMap app I just bought totally useless... ouch!
Old 08-03-2018, 04:15   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
Oh! So you're saying all the other mapping apps that use it will no longer be able to do so? Well... that makes the AquaMap app I just bought totally useless... ouch!

My take is that the terms were being changed. That will exclude some but not others.

Just a guess, but I’ll bet they’re changing the fee structure and legal terms amongst other things.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

That’s not the way I read that email.

What I read is that POLAR will not be able to share the data.

Now whether or not that affects other applications (I use AquaMap) I have no idea. It may be a limited issue to one or a few apps, or it may be GARMIN reserving the data for its apps.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:32   #7

Boat: C&C 34

Garmin did not buy AC to be a good neighbor. They want to make the most money they can, whatever path that may be. AC could be a "Garmin Only" thing and likely will be in the future (my opinion).

Just look at what they are doing with their own stuff. You can't get the fancy AC on anything but their most recent hardware. They and other manufacturers want you to change our your chart plotter every 2 years (Just like your iPhone).

Another "Active Captain" will likely come along and it will be great for a while, until they sell out too. Can't blame them I would do the same thing.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ActiveCaptain discontinued?

Safe and Social will always have a price sooner or later.. with some its just your data.. with others its that and your cash..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:02   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I confirmed it today on an older device that uses Cmaps with ac, if you try to update active captain on a device you didnt pay Garmin for the maps on, you will lose active captain on that device
You've been warned
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:06   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Just look at what they are doing with their own stuff. You can't get the fancy AC on anything but their most recent hardware. They and other manufacturers want you to change our your chart plotter every 2 years (Just like your iPhone).
This is my biggest (recent) beef with Garmin, too. My hardware and software is almost identical to the newer model (even uses the same manual!) but they refuse to issue an update to support Active Captain data.

That's probably irrelevant now. AC will become useless as fewer people are willing to donate their time to advance Garmin's profitability by writing thoughtful reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Another "Active Captain" will likely come along and it will be great for a while, until they sell out too. Can't blame them I would do the same thing.
Maybe it's time to give Zulu Waterways another look.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:19   #11

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
...Maybe it's time to give Zulu Waterways another look.
Thanks for that.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29   #12

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

This is what happen with new technologies: always on the change. You can not take them for granted. Use them when they are available, and then move on. Something different, probably better will show up.
This is like surfing waves: take the good one, and then move on to the next one, without a look back.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40   #13

Boat: Passport 40

I'm having a hard time getting worked up.

Active Captain was a crowdsourced info project. Super, and it was great. Folks helping keep a cruising guide up to date. I liked it. But it was always owned by it's creators, and they sold it to Garmin. Garmin wants to use that purchase to make it's new products better that it's old ones...and all other Navigation products. So, of course, they don't give it to old units and to competitors any more.

Of course I don't like the changes to AC....but we live in a world where capitalism, property, investments, and product development are ok. Unless that changes, I don't see this changing.

And by the way, we don't own Cruisers Forum either. They could do something with it we don't like too. Lot of data here to monetize after all these years. ;-)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
This is what happen with new technologies: always on the change. You can not take them for granted. Use them when they are available, and then move on. Something different, probably better will show up.
This is like surfing waves: take the good one, and then move on to the next one, without a look back.
To be precise, this one isn't about technology, it's about DATA. This recent announcement suggests that Garmin has decided to stop allowing Polar Navy the access to AC data. I'm not familiar with Polar Navy; are they direct competitors with Garmin products?

Before sharpening my torch and lighting my pitchfork, I'd like to know more about what's going on. And we need to keep some perspective. I just went to the Active Captain website; my login still works and I can still see maps with datapoints, so we haven't exactly been cut off. All we know right now is that they will no longer allow a potential competitor to use the AC data in their product. We haven't heard yet whether Garmin has cut off other apps/programs that also show AC data, and so far, all of us still have free access to all that AC data via the website or their apps.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13   #15

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I can still see AC data on my Coastal Explorer laptop. Hope that continues.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain