Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Mostly chain with a little rope...

I was explaining anchoring to someone today and used an example where I needed 110' of rode to achieve 5x, but only had 100' of chain so we let out 10' of rope as well. And it occurred to me I don't know the pro's and con's of having a short 10' length of rope rode at the end of a length of chain. Knee-jerk I would be tempted to just shorten the rode so it was all chain, but I have no actual basis for that decision. On the other hand, maybe it would be better to let out a bit more so all the chain was sitting on the bottom and we were swinging on the rope. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Does it?

Tags
rope