Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 08:42   #1

Battery Selection Advice

Hello - we have a 1978 Tartan 27 that we need to replace batteries on. My former boat partner always purchased the combo marine/rv. However, it seems one always dies after about 3 years. From what I read, a good (true) deep cycle battery should be adequate for starting our diesel and they are more tolerant of greater discharges. We have minimal house loads (LED nav lights, interior lights, radio, stereo, bilge pump)

We have a beta marine 14, 2 cylinder 13hp diesel. The manual indicates a minimum of 70 ah and 450 CCA. I'm looking at an Interstate Deep Cycle with 88ah, 600 CCA. https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...uctline=marine

I assume this more than adequate?
Timccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 09:04   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Battery Selection Advice

That battery should be more than adequate, but frankly I have had just as good luck purchasing the largest marine battery that will fit from WalMart. Just look for the date label and buy the freshest one on the shelf. I typically get 5 years out of them.
Old 28-05-2024, 09:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That battery should be more than adequate, but frankly I have had just as good luck purchasing the largest marine battery that will fit from WalMart. Just look for the date label and buy the freshest one on the shelf. I typically get 5 years out of them.
Are those the Everstart batteries? It's hard to tell if they are actually true deep cycle
Old 28-05-2024, 09:48   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

I have had Deka marine starting batteries last over 10 years.

Nice boat! Grew up on my father’s 1964 Tartan 27. Beast of a boat.
Old 28-05-2024, 14:10   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Just one battery? It will still be OK. Might want to use two especially if you ever use an electric cooler or still have incandescent lights.

I replace consumer deep cycle/automotive batteries like that every 4 years or so. In a hot climate they won't even last that long, not reliably. I like to replace them before they fail.
Old 28-05-2024, 14:19   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think Walmart's largest marine batteries are Gp 29 or Gp 31 Everstarts that are labeled deep cycle, but in any case they are identical to deep cycle marine batteries I have purchased at marine stores with other brand names. But Walmart batteries are cheaper.
Old 28-05-2024, 18:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think Walmart's largest marine batteries are Gp 29 or Gp 31 Everstarts that are labeled deep cycle, but in any case they are identical to deep cycle marine batteries I have purchased at marine stores with other brand names. But Walmart batteries are cheaper.
I was looking at those. The EverStart? I can't get the Maxx, they're sold out. Are they true deep cycle vs hybrid? I don't see any indication of Ah rating.
Old 28-05-2024, 20:06   #8

Others using these everstart walmart batteries successfully? Better/equal to others? The 27 group seems too good to be true at $94/each.
Old 28-05-2024, 20:48   #9

Most or I should say all of the batteries you are buying at Walmart for the auto parts place even if they say deep cycle or dual purpose are in fact not deep cycle. Do your research .. if it were me either two golf cart batteries or a 2 or 300 amp drop in lithium battery
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 10:11   #10

You should have 1 starting battery and one deep cycle. It sounds like you only have a single battery? Unless you have a pull start motor I would never have a single battery in a boat.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 10:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
You should have 1 starting battery and one deep cycle. It sounds like you only have a single battery? Unless you have a pull start motor I would never have a single battery in a boat.
I have two batteries, but many have posted that a starting battery vs two deep cycles isn't needed. My engine indicates it needs 450 CCAs. The deep cycles I'm looking at have 750 MCA which is more than adequate.
Old 29-05-2024, 11:09   #12

Boat: Tartan 4100

If it were me, I would see if two 6V Trojan 105's would fit, these are very robust batteries that should give you 8 years and enough to start your diesel.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, battery