Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 14:27   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
All-Electric Cooking (Mostly)

Hi all.
I am thinking of converting our boat to all electric cooking down with the only propane use for the grill on the aft rail.
My thoughts are to use 2 120v induction cooktops, one 1800 watts, and one 1500 watts. These are highly efficient, put out little to no heat, can be run off a inverter (3000 watts one) but will mostly be using then with a honda or yamaha generator. For a oven, a convection microwave which would also be used as a additional cooking source, rewarmer etc, a bread machine. For most else, the magma grill on the aft rail would do. 2 20 gal propane tanks should last a long time.
Benefits are: No propane inside the boat. Much less heat gain inside. More efficient cooking. And during cooking time, the genset would charge batteries, cool the boat down with some A/C if needed, and run a 120v watermaker.

Cons are minimal. But of course if the batteries were down and the genset inop, cooking would be by propane grill alone. I can live with that.

Any thoughts on this ?
I have one 1800 watt induction cooktop now, just need one more. The costs are low, 150 usd, but you need magnetic cookware like cast iron to use it.
Also there is the safty factor as there are no open flames aboard, and once off it cools down very fast.

What started me off on this line of thinking is our propane line needs changing out (cracks in the outer cover and imo improperly installed) and it will take some demolition to accomplish it. plus here in the semi tropics, its quite warm cooking, and I want to minimize that.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 15:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Noise, noise, noise...

Small petrol generators are quite noisy when run at full load.

I would not expect them to last long under that sort of loading.

You may need a diesel generator of at least double the size of a Honda 20i to do the job properly.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 17:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
There was a thread here not long ago discussing electric cooking with some stats. on power required, etc. I would be useful reading if you can find it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might be interested in some earlier discussions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tops-7373.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-89-11.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote