Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 15:09   #31
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,679
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Your problem is you are trying to point too high.

Your second problem is you are trying to point too high.

45 degrees off the wind for your boat is wishful thinking. After you tack, you are trying to point too high and probably sheeting in the sails to fast and too tight and stopping the boat

After 400 plus buoy races, I know the tendencies of beginners. They want to do well and cannot help but point too high.

For speed and pointing ability, you must fall off a bit for speed then come up.

In light winds, ease the sails also …… the whole race. Don't race with flat sails.....that's for heavy wind

And lastly, don't ask a cruiser how to race.

You wouldn't go to the racers forum, Sailing Anarchy, and ask them about anchors or anchoring

And Btw, did I mention that you are pointing too high?

Race start similar to ours back in the day. Everyone on the line:

(check the prebend differences on the various boats)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:15   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Your PHRF is around 165 so the 10.7 isn't that much of a slug. High aspect ratio rig means all your power is in the genoa. Thomm 225 has got it right, ease your genny sheets, maybe even ease your genny halyard just a little. When in doubt, ease it out. If you tack and sheet everything down flat and point to high you will stall and stay stalled in light air. Good luck.
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:22   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Two other things; have the crew sit/lay on the low side to let gravity give the sails some shape and make sure all crew move slowly so as to not rock the boat and dump what little air there is in the sails out.
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:01   #34
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Posts: 9,300
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

I’m sorry, but I can’t figure out the rationale in telling the OP he is sheeting wrong or pointing too high.

If he was having trouble on BOTH tacks this would make sense but he clearly states this only happened on one tack.

Does he have a Jeckle and Hyde moment every time he changes tack? I doubt it.
__________________
Refitting… again.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:49   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 3,510
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

The anchor fell overboard when you tacked.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 16:03   #36
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,679
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’m sorry, but I can’t figure out the rationale in telling the OP he is sheeting wrong or pointing too high.

If he was having trouble on BOTH tacks this would make sense but he clearly states this only happened on one tack.

Does he have a Jeckle and Hyde moment every time he changes tack? I doubt it.
No he's a guy that is new at sailing. Then started racing without a lot of experience and wanted to do well.

He tacked and then freaked out. Got in too much of a hurry and wanted to WIN!

So he's like "I'm just gonna go for the mark!"

It's quite hard to sail away from your destination when you are trying to get there...………..

Things happen really fast on beach cats when racing which helps you learn fast. watch the boats on the far right. They sail away first then come back up but they have a sail area to displacement ratio of like 75 as compared to the Op's 14. This takes much longer on a monohull and you have to be patient

and I'm guessing the pin end was favored if you know what that means

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 20:40   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 122
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

This whole thread makes me chuckle... At 47,000# dry, our Seamaster 46 hasn't a chance. We'll stick to the cruising plan, racing isn't our game.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 22:36   #38
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,782
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Hope you have a favorable handicap..
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 02:10   #39
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Posts: 9,300
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No he's a guy that is new at sailing. Then started racing without a lot of experience and wanted to do well.

He tacked and then freaked out. Got in too much of a hurry and wanted to WIN!

So he's like "I'm just gonna go for the mark!"

It's quite hard to sail away from your destination when you are trying to get there...………..

Things happen really fast on beach cats when racing which helps you learn fast. watch the boats on the far right. They sail away first then come back up but they have a sail area to displacement ratio of like 75 as compared to the Op's 14. This takes much longer on a monohull and you have to be patient

and I'm guessing the pin end was favored if you know what that means



Wow. What a patronising load of twaddle.

He’s a guy who posted a pretty clear description of some odd perceived problems and you managed to turn it into THAT?

Seriously?

Really glad I don’t feel I have to denigrate someone’s sailing abilities.

I wonder why?
__________________
Refitting… again.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:12   #40
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,679
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Wow. What a patronising load of twaddle.

He’s a guy who posted a pretty clear description of some odd perceived problems and you managed to turn it into THAT?

Seriously?

Really glad I don’t feel I have to denigrate someone’s sailing abilities.

I wonder why?
It appears you've never raced.

Beginners do some strange things because they want to do well.

It sometimes takes a while to be able to sail away from the mark to get to the mark.

If you get a chance try a race when you learn a bit more about sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 20:39   #41
Registered User
 
Bigjim's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Waukegan, IL
Boat: Columbia 10.7
Posts: 670
Images: 120
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

It's always fun to have a lively discussion.

Some new info for everyone. Someone suggested we check our progress with a GPS or cellphone. I don't have a GPS at the moment, but using Navionics Boating we checked our speed during the last race. Here are the facts:

We had another light wind race last week, We experience the same situation as described earlier. When the wind drops below 5 knots, we make progress (2-3 knots) on one tack but sit in place on the other. The knot log says Zero.

We checked the app and indeed we were moving between zero and 1 knot during that tack. I have a feeling we are fighting the current and losing.

None of this happens when the wind is above 5 knots. But we have been cursed with low wind conditions almost every week for 10 weeks. This boat is just not designed for light winds, period.

FYI, I have been sailing for over 40 years, but never in a boat this big (that I owned).
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:00   #42
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Posts: 9,300
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It appears you've never raced.

Beginners do some strange things because they want to do well.

It sometimes takes a while to be able to sail away from the mark to get to the mark.

If you get a chance try a race when you learn a bit more about sailing
Wow. You really know how to make a fool of yourself.

Not only have I raced but my boat’s name is carved on a 110 year old perpetual trophy with me as the skipper. You get that for coming first, in case you didn’t know.

But hey, unlike someone I don’t feel the need to prove anything.
__________________
Refitting… again.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:10   #43
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Posts: 9,300
Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
It's always fun to have a lively discussion.



Some new info for everyone. Someone suggested we check our progress with a GPS or cellphone. I don't have a GPS at the moment, but using Navionics Boating we checked our speed during the last race. Here are the facts:



We had another light wind race last week, We experience the same situation as described earlier. When the wind drops below 5 knots, we make progress (2-3 knots) on one tack but sit in place on the other. The knot log says Zero.



We checked the app and indeed we were moving between zero and 1 knot during that tack. I have a feeling we are fighting the current and losing.



None of this happens when the wind is above 5 knots. But we have been cursed with low wind conditions almost every week for 10 weeks. This boat is just not designed for light winds, period.



FYI, I have been sailing for over 40 years, but never in a boat this big (that I owned).

That does start to sound like the rigging adjustment theorists are on the right track. [emoji106]

Is it possible to easily check that the mast is indeed vertical?
__________________
Refitting… again.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 03:33   #44
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,679
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Wow. You really know how to make a fool of yourself.

Not only have I raced but my boat’s name is carved on a 110 year old perpetual trophy with me as the skipper. You get that for coming first, in case you didn’t know.

But hey, unlike someone I don’t feel the need to prove anything.

The point is many new racers get so in a hurry they make mistakes.

You should know this since you claim to have some racing background.

Normal mistakes include oversheeting and trying to point too high.

Others are misjudging the favored end of the start/finish, improper boat setup for the conditions, wrong sail selection, incorrect batten selection, etc

As far as the rigging, that's part of boat setup which is usually adjusted whenever the conditions change. Sometimes every race

He'll do better with more experience...…...racing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 03:38   #45
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Posts: 9,300
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

He has 40 years sailing experience.

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows what he is doing.

I have absolutely no idea why you feel unable to do the same.

Some kind of insecurity there.
__________________
Refitting… again.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, wind

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 3ym30 will not budge! Help...? jellis23 Engines and Propulsion Systems 22 09-04-2019 22:41
Why doesn't this boat have a steaming light? JBP General Sailing Forum 22 13-10-2017 08:11
Inverter light doesn't come on when alternator is going macbeth Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 10 03-08-2015 08:58
Need advice for sailing out of a slip in light winds OldFrog75 Seamanship & Boat Handling 61 24-06-2013 10:41

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.