Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 06:00   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post

The telltales are all flying properly but we are not moving.
First telltales aren't fool proof. Sometimes you have to have them in a different positions rather than flying straight back for optimal performance. (it's a feel thing that you will develop over time or I guess these days you can use your GPS)

When you say the telltales are flying are you seeing both sides? Hopefully you aren't stalling with the backside telltale hanging down

You might also try easing the main a bit until you are back up to speed (this simultaneously during the tacking process).......then sheet in slowly

I think of it like a plane using it's flaps at low speed for more lift. Then as the speed increases the flaps are brought in
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:12   #17

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
My friends had a similar issue on their Jenneau 36i. Took them 8 months to work out the top of the mast was out of alignment. Only needed correct rigging tension to correct permanently.
+10
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 07:07   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

I was thinking the mast tension too, on my old C&C25 I had almost the same problem, port tack as way faster than starboard (over a knot) completely loosening and retuning the rigging completely solved the issue. Something I would at least look into anyway, it doesn't take much to make a big difference.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 07:34   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Also don't forget in light air to steer by the uppermost telltales

I didn't mention mast/rig tensioning because racers adjust that prior to every regatta (and sometimes readjust between races)

So he'd be at his light air settings (less mast rake etc) for sure plus using his light air battens etc. And maybe even an old light air blown out main
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 08:26   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

My guess is wave/current. Wind is wave direction can vary by alot on the lake ( currently 50 degrees at Port Sheldon. With the specs on your boat 330 length/displacement - 14.9 sail area you have got to be close to the bottom of wind speed at 5 knots. So wouldn't take much to stop you on one tack vs other.
Check mast is centered and clean bottom if you haven't.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:11   #21

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I once owned an Optimus type dinghy that sailed considerably closer to the wind on one tack than the other, I don't recall which was which anymore. It took me a couple of sails to figure out that the centerboard well was skewed several degrees out of line with the centerline. Probably unlikely that your keel is not in line, but I am old and so I look for opportunities to ramble. I hope that when and if you figure it out that we hear about it here.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:24   #22

Boat: macgregor 26

The most extreme port/starboard difference is when you sail a sunfish or other lantern rig. Like two different boats. How has the boat behaved on other light wind days??
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:51   #23

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Making 60% of wind speed in 5kn in a heavy cruiser is pretty good going! I agree that this is most likely a rig tuning issue and that you need tell tails on all the sails to find what is happening. I would say put three on each stripe on each sail, luff leach and center of draft at 1/3 & 2/3 hight. That should give a picture of the wind flow over the sail and show you where the issue is. The other thing I would check is the slot. Is it different at any point on the either tack? In 5kn even slightly depowering the sails can stop you.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 09:56   #24

Boat: GibSea 472

Maybe some adverse current was at play?. Anyway, this heavy ancien confortable cruising boats designs are not known for their fantastic performances, and in light airs the iron geny est certainly part of the solution. If you want to go anywhere in time. But if you insist, you alway have the option to create some apparent wind by coaxing the boat upwind, adjust your sails, make it lean on the side to keep the sail shape working, avoid rudder violent movement, etc... All the little tricks that may make the boat start moving...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 10:44   #25

Boat: Vancouver 32

Hi, I think your issue is with the rig. You should first check the mast is vertical and not leaning to one side by using a plum bob from the top of the mast (a halyard and any weight will do as long as it comes from the centre of your mast and will be the same on both sides) then check the measurements are equal on both sides of your mast out to your shroud based. Then look up the back of the mast from the base and ensure it’s straight. (This is not as easy as it sounds) (Making any adjustments as you go). Also check your kicking strap is not different on each tack (mine is, it’s because of how it comes back to the cockpit) it may be hooking your mainsail leach on one tack.
Good luck
All the best
Colin
ColinIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 10:55   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Definitely puzzling. All good suggestions to check so far. I like the idea of loosening the rig and starting over. I'd raise a long tape measure up on the halyard and be sure you have the same measure down to the chainplates on each side. A little easier than a plumb bob and more accurate. I'd add tell-tales to the sails themselves so you can see how the flow is all the way up. I don't bother with the yarn on the shrouds anymore. One more possibility might be that the mainsheet traveler has a stop on it so that when you tack, the car doesn't slide all the way over and the main is in way too tight on that tack and you haven't noticed it. If it is in too tight and flat, the boat will just stop and go sideways especially in light air.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:28   #27

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

On the whole knotmeter and sense of movement...

Every boat I have sailed that had one gave a different speed reading from the knotmeter paddle depending on the tack. No surprise as they were all offset from the centreline of the boat.

All I have had anything to do with seemed useless at very low speeds and only started to give a reading at around two knots through the water.

Finally, depending on wave angle, when you can’t see the bottom, at low wind and boat speeds it can feel like you are stationary. I’d turn to the gps in these conditions for a second opinion though I have an advantage of sailing in areas of practically no current so gps is a better indication of sailing performance for me than most could expect.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:32   #28

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Bigjim, you srill have not made clear how you measure speed. The ship's "log" will tell you distance through the water, and speed through the water (TTW), as it is driven, usually, by a paddlewheel.

A GPS will tell you your distance and speed speed (SOG) over the ground. Depending on the speed and direction of the ccurrent, these two measurements will differ, perhaps greatly.

Trying to get a heavy boat moving with only five knots apparent wind speed will be un uphill struggle (metaphorically speaking). Gybing will cause less loss of boat speed (TTW), so you might try that in both directions.

If you are serious about racing, you need to lighten the boat. No water or fuel in the tanks, clear all the junk out, leave the wine cellar ashore, remove the engine.....

More sail, too. 130% genoa, spinnaker, lightweight sheets....

Scrub the bottom of the boat before the race....

Tighten the backstay bottlescrew with a three foot long spanner, wielded by a gorilla...

Get the crew sitting on the windward toerail....

Attention to datail, man.

PS I have a 30 foot boat weighing ten tons, and have given up trying to race it.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:38   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I have a Columbia 10.7. It is a big heavy boat so I didn't think it would sail very well in light winds, but I think this is ridiculous.

We race on Wednesdays at my local club. It seems we have light winds every Wednesday. But the last couple of races we experienced the following and can't figure out how to fix it:

The wind was from the Northeast at less than 5 knots and we were trying to sail to the windward mark. On the Port tack we were making 2-3 knots about 45 degrees off the wind. But when we tack over the boat stops. We trim exactly the same way as on the port tack and we sit there, zero knots.

The telltales are all flying properly but we are not moving.

We try to fall off the wind a bit to get some way on but nothing happens.

We jibed back to the port tack and we start moving again 2-3 knots. Tack back and sit dead in the water.

Anybody have a reason or a solution to why we can sail on one tack but not the other?
Bring the anchor up and stow it
Old 19-07-2018, 14:52   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The rigging may need tuning but I do not agree that it be done with a long wrench under a load. I knew of someone who used to do that when racing until the threads on the turnbuckle on the backstay all stripped off on an upwind leg. Take the load off, like with a topping lift fixed aft for backstay, and then adjust.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, wind