Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 14:46   #76

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Re: Boat doesn't budge in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Were all the boats stopped due to the current?

It looks like your PHRF (162-180) isn't bad so you should be able to move in 5 knots....

No. The other boats were clawing their way to wind slowly, but surely. But all of the other ones have fin keels and are more racers than cruisers.

We were out on Monday in a 10 knot breeze and got to 6 knots with just our jenny.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 15:14   #77

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
No. The other boats were clawing their way to wind slowly, but surely. But all of the other ones have fin keels and are more racers than cruisers.

We were out on Monday in a 10 knot breeze and got to 6 knots with just our jenny.
Yeah, I'm thinking with a bit more experience you will be among those clawing their way to windward slowly.

I haven't raced much with this Bristol but a young man with an Alberg 30 who had never raced and I decided to setup a series of singlehanded races between ourselves

It was about a 12 mile course. On one of our races, I totally screwed the start and he got maybe a 6 boat length lead and then the wind stopped.

It was hot also and after a bit I could feel that the right side of my face was feeling a bit cooler so I set the sails for wind on the starboard beam and was able to catch and pass in 10-15 minutes...…..but I've completed maybe 400 plus races similar to this one and he had maybe 6

And my competition was some of the best in the USA some of whom raced this 1000 mile race in the Atlantic.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 22:24   #78

I think I finally figured out the problem. We were having a ton of problems going to windward with the boat when the genny was fully deployed. The sail that came with the boat was A 155% genoa. I noticed that no matter how hard we pulled it down it would not flatten out.

So, on the last race we reefed it about 110% and moved the jib leads to a shorter position. Suddenly, the boat started moving much better to wind.

I think the jib is so old and baggy it just can't be trimmed properly to work close-hauled unless it's furled in. I'm ordering a smaller jib that should work better.

Last weekend we went out in about 10 knots of wind and had the boat moving at 6 knots the whole time with the furled jib. I think we figured it out.

I'll post an update as soon as I get the new sail and try it out.
Old 27-08-2018, 22:32   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The big, old, baggy sail may still be a boon off the wind. It's sorta like "there's no susbstitute for cubic inches" (in car engines), sail area matters, as well as shape. Had you tried increasing the halyard tension to move the draft forward?

Ann
Old 27-08-2018, 23:07   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There was a thread about 2 years ago when Stu Jackson suggested smaller Genoas rather than large 140+ are better in light winds. He linked to a discussion on the Catalina's 34 forum I think and a long discussion there. The upshot is that in light winds a low aspect genoa of heavy cloth due to its size just collapses in fluky winds, whilst a smaller say 110% is more of a blade shape and sets better because the extra material on the leach isn't pulling the sail down or out of shape.

We have a similar problem sailing dead downwond with a 140% Genoa to the point I actually gybe downwind sailing 20 deg off so the sail doesn't constantly flap when the wind gets behind it. Our next Genoa will be smaller about 120%.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 23:21   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The big, old, baggy sail may still be a boon off the wind. It's sorta like "there's no susbstitute for cubic inches" (in car engines), sail area matters, as well as shape. Had you tried increasing the halyard tension to move the draft forward?

Ann
We tried everything with the old sail but nothing worked. It's just too baggy. It works ok off the wind but up wind we can't get it in the right shape.

Furling it down to 110% or so and moving the fairleads seems to be the trick. On Saturday we were hitting 6 knots constantly with it furled. We never got that with it out.

As for off the wind, it's too hard to tack. It constantly gets hung up on the shrouds and mast when fully out. At 110% it snaps over nicely.
Old 27-08-2018, 23:32   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There was a thread about 2 years ago when Stu Jackson suggested smaller Genoas rather than large 140+ are better in light winds. He linked to a discussion on the Catalina's 34 forum I think and a long discussion there. The upshot is that in light winds a low aspect genoa of heavy cloth due to its size just collapses in fluky winds, whilst a smaller say 110% is more of a blade shape and sets better because the extra material on the leach isn't pulling the sail down or out of shape.

We have a similar problem sailing dead downwond with a 140% Genoa to the point I actually gybe downwind sailing 20 deg off so the sail doesn't constantly flap when the wind gets behind it. Our next Genoa will be smaller about 120%.

Pete
I think that is exactly the point. When it's out at 155% it's really hard to control the top and the bottom. The jib tracks just aren't long enough. If I wanted to experiment I could put some blocks on the toerail and see if it makes it better.

I could probably have it re-cut but I think it's time just to retire it or use it as a reserve or emergency sail.

Going downwind the 155 is way too big unless the wind is really blowing. In light winds it's constantly flapping. We often furl it down and use the spinnaker pole and go wing and wing.
Old 28-08-2018, 03:06   #83

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I think that is exactly the point. When it's out at 155% it's really hard to control the top and the bottom. The jib tracks just aren't long enough. If I wanted to experiment I could put some blocks on the toerail and see if it makes it better.

I could probably have it re-cut but I think it's time just to retire it or use it as a reserve or emergency sail.

Going downwind the 155 is way too big unless the wind is really blowing. In light winds it's constantly flapping. We often furl it down and use the spinnaker pole and go wing and wing.
The part about it flapping rather than filling in light airs suggests it is a heavy 155.

When we bought the boat before this one, it had a light and a heavy 165 on it. I could not lift the heavy 165 out of the forehatch. It was good hard on the wind to about 22 or so. We did not take it cruising.

Probably worth a chat with your sailmaker: they often have useful information if you have enough experience to evaluate what they say in terms of how you use the boat. It can be a difficult balance.

Ann

Tags
boat, wind